Colorado & New Mexico flooding - September 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

I am setting up this thread with the hope that the locals in these areas could update the areas recovery from the flooding in the Denver/Boulder area and in Albuquerque/Santa Fe and other areas of the states affected by the flooding.

There was extensive flooding in the Boulder, Estes Park (gateway town to Rocky Mountain National Park), and other areas.

One of the roads to Estes Park, US 34 from the Ft Collins area that runs through Big Thompson Canyon had significant road damage where the road was wiped out in parts.

The town of Lyons where the other main road to Estes Park from Denver, US 36, was flooded extensively.

This isolated Estes Park where the only access to get there would be to drive West to East through the park along US 34 (Trail Ridge Road)

University of Colorado in Boulder was hard hit by the flooding.

In some stories I have heard that some roads in the area may take a year before they are reopened.

The flooding also was near Denver airport. There was some minor flooding along Tower road (the closest hotels to DEN) and there was flooding in Commerce City/Stapleton/Aurora where a few airport hotels are located (One in particular was the Embassy Suites that has an airport shuttle)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Steerage
Thank you for starting this thread. I hope we locals are able to help anyone traveling to the area.

Originally Posted by djp98374
This isolated Estes Park where the only access to get there would be to drive West to East through the park along US 34 (Trail Ridge Road)
East bound travel on Trail Ridge Road is currently restricted. No tourist / recreational travel at this time. West bound travel is open / unrestricted. However, Rocky Mountain National Park is otherwise closed.

The flooding also was near Denver airport. There was some minor flooding along Tower road (the closest hotels to DEN) and there was flooding in Commerce City/Stapleton/Aurora where a few airport hotels are located (One in particular was the Embassy Suites that has an airport shuttle)
Tower Road near the airport was clear this morning. It got hit early - last Tuesday night was the worst of it and it has improved since. Areas of Commerce City near the South Platte River were hit hard, with some street closures still in effect this morning. North Aurora has improved. The I-70 / I-225 interchange had been flooded and closed at times. It was open this morning.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Any flooding along Tower Road had receded by 1 AM on 9/14, as Mr. Kipper flew into DEN, landing around midnight, and spent the night at one of the hotels along Tower Rd., arriving around 1 AM, with no problems. He even ventured out to a 7-11 nearby and didn’t encounter flooding.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Aurora only experienced minor flooding and the roads were reopened shortly thereafter.

CU-Boulder was closed Friday, but is open for classes today. UNC in Greeley is closed today, although Greeley did experience quite a bit of widespread flooding.

Current road closures as per CDOT, 1000 AM Monday:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...34-co-14-co-72
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Southern suburbs were spared of any massive flooding. Some neighbors had some soggy basements after Saturday's rain, but it wasn't widespread. I had about 3" of water covering half of my backyard, but thankfully it's angled away from the house towards the street. Now I know where all my mulch went from past seasons.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by kipper
Any flooding along Tower Road had receded by 1 AM on 9/14, as Mr. Kipper flew into DEN, landing around midnight, and spent the night at one of the hotels along Tower Rd., arriving around 1 AM, with no problems. He even ventured out to a 7-11 nearby and didn’t encounter flooding.
My GF was in Denver last week staying at the Embassy Suites along Tower Rd. I found out about the flooding from her. The other Embassy Suites over in Stapleton/Commerce area got some flooding so they shifted guests over to the Tower Rd location.

We were going to spend this past weekend up in Estes ....with work she had booked a flight to return this morning that was non refundable on United. when she tried to change it to thursday United was asking for $600 additional, so she had to book a flight on southwest. I have sent a letter to United about this--still waiting to here a response.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
We are supposed to fly into DEN on Friday night for a music festival that is outside in Byers, CO on Saturday and Sunday. We are staying at the Double Tree on Quebec Street. I don't know Denver at all, should there be any issues with this?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My heart goes out to those affected by the flood.

I had planned to visit Denver and Boulder in a month, spending most time outdoor biking & hiking @ Boulder Creek, CU, flatirons, Chautauqua, Flagstaff Mountain, Mt Evans and such. I have to decide on the airfare soon. Would you guys think it be wise to visit by then?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by horse glasses
We are supposed to fly into DEN on Friday night for a music festival that is outside in Byers, CO on Saturday and Sunday. We are staying at the Double Tree on Quebec Street. I don't know Denver at all, should there be any issues with this?
(1) check with the festival site to see if it's still going on.

(2) call the hotel to see if there was any flood damage. Near there there has been some flooding. Commerce City ( north side of I-70) from where you are staying had flooding.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by italdesign
My heart goes out to those affected by the flood.

I had planned to visit Denver and Boulder in a month, spending most time outdoor biking & hiking @ Boulder Creek, CU, flatirons, Chautauqua, Flagstaff Mountain, Mt Evans and such. I have to decide on the airfare soon. Would you guys think it be wise to visit by then?
I would postpone this to next year.....all the foothills area north of Denver in boulder and all around there had flooding. Many roads have gotten extensive damage. It may take a year before things are restored fully.

You could still fly into Denver but just do a different part of the state.

Another option to look at would be Moab and Cortez/Durango.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

http://google.org/crisismap/2013-boulder-floods

map on flooding roads...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may take a year before things are restored fully.
CDOT has already said it will take years.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
CDOT has already said it will take years.
Indeed, there are huge chunks of the federal highway system that are simply gone. It'll take more than a couple of bulldozers and an asphalt truck to fix 'em.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those taking Amtrak to points west...

Amtrak's California Zephyr passenger train is taking detours because of temporary track closures in Colorado.

Tracks are expected to be closed west of Denver through early October on its flood-damaged Moffat Tunnel route.

As a result, Amtrak will use an alternate route between Denver and Salt Lake City beginning on Friday.

Amtrak said Thursday it will provide alternate transportation by chartered buses for passengers missing stops in Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction, Colo., and Green River, Helper and Provo, Utah.

Local conditions prevent Amtrak from providing alternate transportation to Fraser-Winter Park and Granby, Colo.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by horse glasses
There won't be any issues at all. I live less than a mile from that Double Tree and the only real big damage in our area was the east bound off ramp from I-70 to Quebec. It's already been fixed and back open. Enjoy our trip out here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.