Search

Very quick Grand Canyon trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Very quick Grand Canyon trip

Sorry for two threads in two weeks...

The Mr. and I have decided to go do some photography at Organ Pipe Cactus NM, as well as some other stuff in Tucson. We have a spare day at the end of our trip, and since we're flying in and out of PHX, I'm tossing around the idea of the Grand Canyon as well.

It would be a fast trip - depart Tucson in the morning, drive to the Grand Canyon, stay through sunset, drive back and spend the night near PHX. We have an early morning flight, so staying anywhere else is out of the question.

I figure that gives us around 5 hours at the park. Which visitor center is the best? The main one looks like it closes at 5, so what's the best option if we arrive later for whatever reason? Where's the best place to just look over the edge and take some pictures? Looks like Mather Point? The NPS website is a little overwhelming - this definitely looks like the most popular park we've ever been to.

Or do we just ditch the idea and stay in Tucson another day?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Well, I am definitely biased, but that's a lot of driving in one day - 2 hours Tucson to Phoenix plus about 4 hours to Grand Canyon and another 4 hours back to Phoenix. You didn't say how long you were staying in Tucson, but I really like the area and I don't think it is worth 10 hours of not very interesting driving for a quick peak at the Grand Canyon.

If you could spend a night in Sedona, on the other hand, I think I would change my mind. Or maybe even just drive to Sedona (and Jerome) and back to Phoenix and skip the Grand Canyon.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Well, I should have added that the Mr. loves driving, so it's really not a big deal for us. With a baby coming, we're not sure when we'll be able to get back out west, so....

And we're set on the Grand Canyon, since we're outdoors and photo people. We might stay in Tucson, - we're just not really interested in the other parts of northern Arizona.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you could stay maybe one night in Sedona ( as JerryFF suggested ^) and do the Grand canyon from there it would be worth while.

Sedona is beautiful with lots of hiking trails ( jeep tours also) and you can walk around Oak Creek and is well worth a visit.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by lovely15
Well, I should have added that the Mr. loves driving
He'd better. So do I but 600 miles in a day is beyond my endurance.

YMMV
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:46 am

Well, last year we did Phoenix-Sedona-G.Canyon-Phoenix in one day. We didn't do much in Sedona and we had a few hours in G.Canyon. We stayed until sunset in G.Canyon, and I think few hours were enough for us to see what we needed to see. I felt okay driving up, but then it was pitch-dark on the way back and the drive home was draining. The stretch of I-17 from the northern end of the Valley up to Camp Verde is hilly and windy and yet has speed limit up to 65-70mph with quite a bit of traffic, and that took a lot out of me. 150miles from Phoenix to Flagstaff sure is different than the 150miles from Phoenix to Blythe.

I don't know if I could do that drive again on a day trip. And you're talking about adding Tucson-Phoenix on top of that. I think G.Canyon is one of those places definitely making an effort to go see if you have the opportunity. But man that is going to be a heck of a drive and it's hard for me to recommend that to anyone.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've done daytrips from the Phoenix area to the Grand Canyon, twice. Both times were when I had out of town visitors who may never have gotten back.

As someone else mentioned, the drive up didn't seem so bad. I remember stopping in Flag to get some sandwiches, at them when we got to the Grand Canyon, drove around, then ate in Flag on the way back, both times.

A separate time, my when my Mom was visiting, she really wanted to have lunch at the El Tovar. We left early, went straight up to the Grand Canyon for a late lunch, and walked around a bit. We had both been there before, so it wasn't a huge deal. But we stayed in Flagstaff after, which was so much nicer. We took the back way to Phoenix the next morning, 89A through Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome, and Prescott, then got on the 17 there heading back. I'd much rather that trip than a daytrip.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
I'm going to go for the out-of-the-box answer...

Instead of a 10 hour round trip for an hour or two of pictures, how about 4-5 hours of driving and the rest spent on interesting exploring and photography? How about going down to Tombstone for lunch (Big Nose Kate's or the Crystal Palace) and a little photography (Cemetery, Courthouse, & Birdcage Theater).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:56 pm

Not sure where in Tuscon that you are, but I google mapped it from the interchange of I 10 and I 19 to grand canyon village. It was 344 miles with 5 hours of driving, times 2 for both ways. Depending on what times of day that you hit Tuscon traffic, it may slow you a bit. Phoenix is another matter. It takes more than an hour to get across town and sometimes much longer. I am mapping it at noon. Rush hour is from 6 a.m. to 8:30 and then 2:30 to 6:30 p.m.

I haven't been to the canyon in a number of years, so really can't advise much there.

As for the drive back in the dark, we have done it many times. It isn't that bad most of the time and being later the traffic will be much better. There are a bunch of hills going up that will be steep downgrades coming home, so watch for semis. If there is any accident on I 17, there may be a long backup or even a very long detour that may add time on the trip. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

It can be done, but it will be strenuous. If you decide to do it, have fun. The canyon is a great place for pictures. We did it one year going to the north rim on our way up into Utah for Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, etc.

ETA: Arizona has a vast amount of picture taking areas, but there is none quite like the canyon and if that is what you want, there probably is no substitute.

Last edited by sunshineaz; Jun 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Depending on the day of the week you could very well hit rush hour traffic in Phoenix which will slow you down. In addition to places like Bisbee and Tombstone you could also visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum http://www.desertmuseum.org/ which has examples of wildlife from the Sonora Desert Region.

You could also stop at the Kitt Peak observatory complex on the way back from Organ Pipe http://www.noao.edu/outreach/kpvc/.

I know that I would not really want to drive up to the Grand Canyon and back in one day. That's a lot of driving even for me.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A few thoughts for the OP:

1. I am an avid hiker and amateur outdoor photographer, too, and I consider the red rocks country around Sedona to be a don't-miss location. It's closer to Tucson and Phoenix and would thus allow you more time to spend outdoors than driving all the way to the Grand Canyon.

2. I am comfortable behind the wheel of a car and have driven 600 mile days at least 20 times. But it is HARD to combine this amount of driving with more than a few hours of sight-seeing. At a place like GCNP (or Sedona or anywhere else worth more than a drive-by visit) I would want to adequate time to appreciate the destination, not just hop out of the car long enough for the obligatory postcard snapshot and then hop back in. Be realistic in assessing what your daily itinerary would be, including factoring time for traffic delays, stops for gas and food, etc.

3. Consider moving your last night in Tucson over to a motel near PHX airport and staying there for two nights. That'll shift about 90 minutes of driving away from your GCNP day. It will also save you maybe 30 minutes of packing-checkout-checkin-unpack time, too.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:55 pm

You're talking about a 5 hour and 15 min drive to get there, and that's if you manage to miss rush hour and/or accidents in Tucson and Phoenix. Personally, I just don't think the drive is worth it, but if your heart is set on the Grand Canyon...so be it.

My advice: stay the night on the north side of Phoenix or Scottsdale before you head to the Grand Canyon, if you can. That way you can jump on the freeway and get on the road before rush hour gets out of hand. If you absolutely have to leave from Tucson, then you should probably leave by 4am or after 7am from there to avoid the bulk of Phoenix traffic. You'll still hit some, unless you're traveling through on a weekend day.

There are some decent hotels east of the airport in Tempe (near ASU) and some near Papago Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.