Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by leylacatherine
Hi everyone,

My name is Leyla and this is my first post on Flyertalk Forum, so please bear with me and excuse any ignorance I may have of Flyertalk norms.

My friend and I are planning a trip to Glacier National Park, Montana. She would be flying in from JFK, and I would be flying in from Tyson-McGhee Airport (Knoxville, TN). Our goal is to fly into Kalispell, rent a car, and camp in as much as GNP as possible from June 30 - July 11.
This may want to consider flying into Calgary. It's about 3.5 hrs to the park (plus the border crossing time) Kalispell can be a very expensive airport to fly in and out of. You can also look into some of the other MT airports.

Originally Posted by leylacatherine
2. Have any of you ever actually done a similar trip - where you fly into a location with all of your camping gear, rent a car, and go? If so, what are some traveling tips and tricks you've learned from experience? Because neither of us have ever done this before. I camped with my father plenty of times, but he always sorted out the logistics, and this will be my first go at planning everything by myself. My friend is like a sister; 12 years younger than I am (I'm 32) - and I want to be a responsible guide/protector.
We've flown to many camping destinations for family camping. Here are our tips:

Instead of flying with some of our gear, we have rented. REI was once very good for this if you were members. We rented tents, cookstoves, and sleeping bag pads for Yosemite, Yellowstone, Rainier, and the Adirondacks. Much easier than flying with them. I'm not sure what they are renting anymore. There are outfitters in the Whitefish area who rent.

Wait to buy a cooler upon landing. No need to pay to fly one.

Do not arrive at your campsite after dark. You really don't want to set up a tent in the dark. Get a room.

If you are camping in the park, make your campsite reservation now. They book really fast. We've been SOL 11 months out.

Certain things can't fly: Cookstove fuel, matches, and bear spray to name a few. (Yes, you should buy bear spray if you are hiking)

Duffel bags (army style) are great for packing camping gear.

Make sure that you are prepared for rain.

Your rental car will be too small. It's a lot of gear plus food. Rethink vehicle size.

Big Box "Pick it up at the Store" is your friend. Order gear, food, etc. in advance, it will be waiting at the store when you arrive. I saves time and you are less likely to forget something.

Some of the NP's have an express line for people with annual passes. It's more expensive, but you might want to get one near you at Smokey Mountain NP to save some time.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Glacier National Park from Calgary

We are hoping to fly to Calgary in late July or early August (2019) and drive through GNP for a week. We plan to drive back to Calgary and return home from there. We live in Canada so it's probably easiest and least expensive to fly to/from Calgary. What would you suggest the itinerary to be ? Is there a loop or should we stay on one side of the park and retrace our itinerary? We would be happy to get some direction as to how much time to spend in each location. We love to hike and we would be looking for lodging as well (not camping). Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Safti
We are hoping to fly to Calgary in late July or early August (2019) and drive through GNP for a week. We plan to drive back to Calgary and return home from there. We live in Canada so it's probably easiest and least expensive to fly to/from Calgary. What would you suggest the itinerary to be ? Is there a loop or should we stay on one side of the park and retrace our itinerary? We would be happy to get some direction as to how much time to spend in each location. We love to hike and we would be looking for lodging as well (not camping). Thanks in advance.
could USA flying be cheap..depends on where to where. If you live in Toronto you could price compare flight and car rental costs. At border stays you usually are able to drive into Canada.

Usually if flying into Calgary nany would do banff/ jasper loop with glacier in the USA.

glacier has two sides and you must stay on each side.

finding lodging will be hard now. Lodging for 2019 opened for booking on May 1 2018. Xanterra handles in park lodging. Gkavpcier park inc gas lodging options outside the park

the east side has more spots to see so more time should be spent there. Thus side is rural and there is far less lodging options than the more populous west side.

many glacier ...has many glacier inn and swiftcurrent motel. Just outside the park is Babb with some options. Central part is the start of going to the sun road. Inside the park is rising sun. Outside is st Mary lodge. There are a few other pkaces in st Mary. To the south is two medicine with no lodging but has a campground. Just south of here is east glacier lodge just outside the park. East of here in browning there are some chain hotels on the Indian reservation. Each of the lake nnthe east side have a boat that crosses the lakes to trailheads. These need to be reserved. From st Mary there is a shuttle bus to Logan’s pass to use due to limited parking. It easier to do it from this side. From west side you have to do 2 shuttles. One to avalanche lake then one to Logan.

on the west side you have Lake Macdonald lake with a lodge. The boat here is just a looo tour boat no trailhead exit. At the west end is apparently lodges. Just outside is west glacier along us 2. Farther out you have options in Columbia falls, kalispell, and whitefish. Whitefish is big mountain ski resort town,kalispell has an airport that’s closest to glacier.

on the west side there is a dirt/gravel road up to nw corner in polebridge. From here there are a bunch of lakes you can explore.

orher airports to look at us great falls, Helena, and missoula . Farther airports are spokane(5 hrs and time change) Bozeman ( about 5 hrs from either side of ostk, billings about 7 hrs and Salt Lake City and Seattle each about 9 hrs iormore.

day 1 fly into Calgary
day 2 to east side of glacier ( many glacier) night there
day 3 day in nany glacier, night there or st Mary.
day 4 am two medicine boat and hike, pm drive up to Logan pass or bus it. Parking is easier in afternoon because people gi in early and leave around 2 and bus ends at 7 so you coukd stay longer when sun sets after %9pm in early July.
day 5 gttsr to west sude
dat 6 explore west side
day 7 explore whitefish, flathead lake area
day 8 head into Canada and return to Calgary.

Days can be added to do banff and jasper.

another common thing is you can do glacier and do Yellowstone and Tetons.

Montaba usually has one way rentals without one wat drop fees. You coukd fly into kalispell, di west side then east side then diwn ti yelliwstone then do Yellowstone and Tetons and fly out from billings

coukd akso fly into Seattle and do north cascades np and mt rainier np on the way to and from glacier.

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374

could USA flying be cheap..depends on where to where. If you live in Toronto you could price compare flight and car rental costs. At border stays you usually are able to drive into Canada.

Usually if flying into Calgary nany would do banff/ jasper loop with glacier in the USA.

glacier has two sides and you must stay on each side.

finding lodging will be hard now. Lodging for 2019 opened for booking on May 1 2018. Xanterra handles in park lodging. Gkavpcier park inc gas lodging options outside the park

the east side has more spots to see so more time should be spent there. Thus side is rural and there is far less lodging options than the more populous west side.

many glacier ...has many glacier inn and swiftcurrent motel. Just outside the park is Babb with some options. Central part is the start of going to the sun road. Inside the park is rising sun. Outside is st Mary lodge. There are a few other pkaces in st Mary. To the south is two medicine with no lodging but has a campground. Just south of here is east glacier lodge just outside the park. East of here in browning there are some chain hotels on the Indian reservation. Each of the lake nnthe east side have a boat that crosses the lakes to trailheads. These need to be reserved. From st Mary there is a shuttle bus to Logan’s pass to use due to limited parking. It easier to do it from this side. From west side you have to do 2 shuttles. One to avalanche lake then one to Logan.

on the west side you have Lake Macdonald lake with a lodge. The boat here is just a looo tour boat no trailhead exit. At the west end is apparently lodges. Just outside is west glacier along us 2. Farther out you have options in Columbia falls, kalispell, and whitefish. Whitefish is big mountain ski resort town,kalispell has an airport that’s closest to glacier.

on the west side there is a dirt/gravel road up to nw corner in polebridge. From here there are a bunch of lakes you can explore.

orher airports to look at us great falls, Helena, and missoula . Farther airports are spokane(5 hrs and time change) Bozeman ( about 5 hrs from either side of ostk, billings about 7 hrs and Salt Lake City and Seattle each about 9 hrs iormore.

day 1 fly into Calgary
day 2 to east side of glacier ( many glacier) night there
day 3 day in nany glacier, night there or st Mary.
day 4 am two medicine boat and hike, pm drive up to Logan pass or bus it. Parking is easier in afternoon because people gi in early and leave around 2 and bus ends at 7 so you coukd stay longer when sun sets after %9pm in early July.
day 5 gttsr to west sude
dat 6 explore west side
day 7 explore whitefish, flathead lake area
day 8 head into Canada and return to Calgary.

Days can be added to do banff and jasper.

another common thing is you can do glacier and do Yellowstone and Tetons.

Montaba usually has one way rentals without one wat drop fees. You coukd fly into kalispell, di west side then east side then diwn ti yelliwstone then do Yellowstone and Tetons and fly out from billings

coukd akso fly into Seattle and do north cascades np and mt rainier np on the way to and from glacier.

Thanks so much for doing this for me. I was having trouble following the map and everything seems so far apart. I think we will stay 3 nights on the east and 3 nights on the west and then back to Calgary. I think you are right. At this point its difficult to find accommodations but we will keep looking.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thanks so much for doing this for me. I was having trouble following the map and everything seems so far apart. I think we will stay 3 nights on the east and 3 nights on the west and then back to Calgary. I think you are right. At this point its difficult to find accommodations but we will keep looking.

also...glacier is an international park with Watertown lakes. A few years ago Watertown was damages by a wildfire. From there you can take a boat south into glacier at goat haunt.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So we're thinking of visiting Glacier NP in late September of this year. We'll fly in/out of Kalispell and rent a car, and probably stay at the Homewood Suites (perhaps an Airbnb, especially if someone has a recommendation). Prices look pretty decent, for that time of year.

Looking at the expected weather, it looks like average highs in September are 62, but in October about 52F, with lows about 15-20 degrees below.
Is that typically the rainy season?

Two things that I'm interested in doing:
* Day rafting trip: how are the short versions? we last rafted about 3 years ago in Nova Scotia, in August. I'm not sure we could take 3+ hours, even with wetsuits (all of the place I'm seeing say they provide wetsuits at no extra cost). Does anyone have a specific company to recommend?
* Horseback riding: again, probably the short version (1-1/2 hours it seems). I haven't been on a horse in recent memory, perhaps as a child, so don't want to commit for longer not knowing how I'll be. Again, any specific recommendations?

This will probably be a short-ish trip, out on a Wednesday or Thursday, return the following Monday. I figure we can arrange those 2 activities in advance, and as time/weather permit, we could do more (either more of those, or something by boat, an organized hike, etc.) Plus we'll have the car so we can just drive around a bit and explore during the days.

Anything else I should know? I do swim, but at that time of they year I think it is out of the question, outside at least. I'm up for nearly anything, without blowing the budget too much.

This will be part of a multi-long weekend series of state visits so I can visit all 50 states before I turn 50.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by aztimm
So we're thinking of visiting Glacier NP in late September of this year. We'll fly in/out of Kalispell and rent a car, and probably stay at the Homewood Suites (perhaps an Airbnb, especially if someone has a recommendation). Prices look pretty decent, for that time of year.

Looking at the expected weather, it looks like average highs in September are 62, but in October about 52F, with lows about 15-20 degrees below.

* Day rafting trip: how are the short versions? we last rafted about 3 years ago in Nova Scotia, in August. I'm not sure we could take 3+ hours, even with wetsuits (all of the place I'm seeing say they provide wetsuits at no extra cost). Does anyone have a specific company to recommend?
* Horseback riding: again, probably the short version (1-1/2 hours it seems). I haven't been on a horse in recent memory, perhaps as a child, so don't want to commit for longer not knowing how I'll be. Again, any specific recommendations?

This will probably be a short-ish trip, out on a Wednesday or Thursday, return the following Monday. I figure we can arrange those 2 activities in advance, and as time/weather permit, we could do more (either more of those, or something by boat, an organized hike, etc.) Plus we'll have the car so we can just drive around a bit and explore during the days.

Anything else I should know? I do swim, but at that time of they year I think it is out of the question, outside at least. I'm up for nearly anything, without blowing the budget too much.

This will be part of a multi-long weekend series of state visits so I can visit all 50 states before I turn 50.
How late in September are you thinking of going? A lot of activities around Glacier National Park start to close for the season in mid September as it starts getting colder. Glacier National Park is huge and there is a lot to see. I'd recommend driving the Going to the Sun Road and taking a boat ride on Two Medicine Lake. At Two Medicine Lake you can do some self guided hikes that are relatively scenic yet fairly easy. The boat trip can be booked through the Glacier National Park Boat Co. it takes about 45 minutes each way, you can take a boat one way and hike back, or do a roundtrip.

For rafting most of them go down the Flathead River and the half day trips are long enough. At that time of year I would recommend a wetsuit as it will be about 60 degrees and the river is glacier runoff.

I'd recommend staying in either East or West Glacier for at least a night or two, it will be a better home base for some of the activities you are looking at doing. Its a trek to have to keep driving back and forth to Kalispell. Most of the activities will be based around those two towns.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by aztimm

late sept isnt a good time to visit.

likely no rafting trips available since most is driven by snow melt thus enf in July.

The GTTSR will bemostly closed for winter outside the first miles along the lake.

You have a real snow risk. late sept the avg high may be 60 but it could easily be high of 40
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
We went the second week of September last year, and it was definitely winding down for the season. Additionally, the fires that started in early August was still burning, and half of GTTSR was closed due to its proximity. It sounds as though this is always a risk with going later in the season, though some years are certainly worse than others.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by strickerj
We went the second week of September last year, and it was definitely winding down for the season. Additionally, the fires that started in early August was still burning, and half of GTTSR was closed due to its proximity. It sounds as though this is always a risk with going later in the season, though some years are certainly worse than others.
Thanks for the response, and to the others.

After I started to see the replies here, I called one of the touring outfits yesterday that runs the horseback riding. Chatted with a friendly agent for at least 10 minutes, and she said that while things are slowing down, they are still open. She said that the open stable is outside of the park--but the views are about the same. She said that the rafting still happens, as long as they can, but they provide wetsuits. She mentioned that the foliage is pretty nice to see (I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I'm a bit biased there ) From what she said, the Going to the Sun road is open until the first snowfall, which is usually toward mid-October (but could happen earlier).

Then I contacted a friend of mine who group up in Montana (I had forgotten about him). His parents still live there and he visits regularly (different times of the year). He told me that unless you go in June-July-August (and even then) that there are no guarantees on weather. He said it will be more quiet, but weather should be pretty decent. He said to go, enjoy the peace, and lower prices (he's right there!) Someone else I know who lives in Wyoming, close to Grand Teton, gave similar remarks about weather--but also said to go, avoid the crowds.

I think we'll go forward and just play things by ear, and watch out for weather in the week before the trip. If nothing else, it does appear that Kalispell has 2 movie theaters
(and due to the time of year, many of the park lodges are closed, so we're pretty much stuck with Kalispell. I did enough, "camping," while I was in the Army and don't do that anymore.)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
That’s true, it was less crowded. (We started our 2 week road trip on Labor Day weekend, and the crowds at the parks definitely thinned our after that Monday.) It’s unfortunate you can’t really go early in the season to avoid the crowds since everything isn’t fully open until the end of June. Enjoy!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
How late in September are you thinking of going? A lot of activities around Glacier National Park start to close for the season in mid September as it starts getting colder. Glacier National Park is huge and there is a lot to see. I'd recommend driving the Going to the Sun Road and taking a boat ride on Two Medicine Lake. At Two Medicine Lake you can do some self guided hikes that are relatively scenic yet fairly easy. The boat trip can be booked through the Glacier National Park Boat Co. it takes about 45 minutes each way, you can take a boat one way and hike back, or do a roundtrip.

For rafting most of them go down the Flathead River and the half day trips are long enough. At that time of year I would recommend a wetsuit as it will be about 60 degrees and the river is glacier runoff.

I'd recommend staying in either East or West Glacier for at least a night or two, it will be a better home base for some of the activities you are looking at doing. Its a trek to have to keep driving back and forth to Kalispell. Most of the activities will be based around those two towns.
I have a question for you. We are going to Two Medicine for a day of hiking. We are doing a different boat ride. Anyway, are there particular hikes in Two Medicine that you might recommend?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I have a question for you. We are going to Two Medicine for a day of hiking. We are doing a different boat ride. Anyway, are there particular hikes in Two Medicine that you might recommend?
So there are a couple options. First being that you can hike either the South or North shore trail heads to the opposite side of the lake from where you will park or get dropped off. You could hike around the lake by choosing to hike the North and South shore trails, which is relatively easy as there isn't much elevation change the entire walk around the lake will take 5-6 hours depending on pace and stopping. You could also hike to Upper Two Medicine lake and towards Dawson pass, this will have more elevation and be a steeper climb. I know you're taking a boat ride elsewhere, but what we did was take a boat across the lake then took the South Shore Trail back. There are some pretty long hikes that leave from the East side of the lake which are more advance, for that I would take the boat as a time saver. I provided the trail map below.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...o-Medicine.pdf
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by freeagent
So there are a couple options. First being that you can hike either the South or North shore trail heads to the opposite side of the lake from where you will park or get dropped off. You could hike around the lake by choosing to hike the North and South shore trails, which is relatively easy as there isn't much elevation change the entire walk around the lake will take 5-6 hours depending on pace and stopping. You could also hike to Upper Two Medicine lake and towards Dawson pass, this will have more elevation and be a steeper climb. I know you're taking a boat ride elsewhere, but what we did was take a boat across the lake then took the South Shore Trail back. There are some pretty long hikes that leave from the East side of the lake which are more advance, for that I would take the boat as a time saver. I provided the trail map below.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...o-Medicine.pdf
Thanks so much for this!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:24 pm

Can anyone recommend 3 favourite hikes on the east side of the park and 3 favourite hikes on the west side of the park? Also, if we only have 3 days on the east side and 3 days on the west side would you also go to Two Medicine? If so, from the east side of the park?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.