Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
There may be a car to rent at East glacier.....or in Browning. I am not sure without some research. There may be a paid shuttle system run by East glacier resort...I am not sure.

East Glacier is so less undeveloped compared to West glacier.

I think East Glacier Lodge is not actually in the park---id have to double check a map.

Other than Bowning (small town,,,st Mary's has a fe lodges and restuatnats just outside the park but tha t is it. then there isnt much around.

On the west side of Glacier from Kalispell to columbia Fallas to Whiefish to the park---this is a metro area with shops and restaurants and hotels, etc.

I would have to do research on the gampgrounds. I know there are campgrounds near there but some require reservation permit and some ar first come first get.

Both St Marys and West glacier have KOAs, cabin rentals, and RV places.

Glacier has alot of multiday trails you can take that require a back country permit.

If you arent into carrying your own gear there is an alternative...from Logan pass there is a trail you can take that gets you to the Many Lakes area. About the first 1/3 is going up hill---then the last 2/3 is going all down hill. Along the divide there is a small hikers lodge you can make reservations at and some weekends they have activities there for hikers. With the hikers lodge they have equipment and dry food and supplies you need to make your own dinner.

This place is called GRANITE PARK CHALET---you make reservations for here.

day 1 park at St Marys take the bus up to Logan. Hike to the chalet for the night
day 2 from chalet you hike to Many glacier area and stay at one of the lodges. The next morning you can takea a 7:30am hiker shuttle from Many glacier to St Marys to get your car.

You could flip this around by staying at Many glacier for the night...take the bus to st mary's in the am then do the hike...then come in the next day.

theoreticaly if you are in really good hiking shape you could do it in one day.

Last edited by djp98374; Apr 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:21 pm

Wow, whatdya know -- there's actually an Avis lot across from Glacier Park Lodge which happens to be the perfect solution! How exciting!

I'm going to finalize the 1st draft of our itinerary and then post it here for advice along with some questions based on your response above.

Thank you, as always!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:11 pm

Okay, so we'd be looking at mid-to-late August and here's what I have planned so far... Please let me know your thoughts as well as suggestions both on the itinerary and amount of time in each location, as well as your recommendations for sights and activities in each section of the park. If you could please highlight specific suggestions and activities for each destination, it would be greatly appreciated! Here's where I'm at so far:

LEAVING SEATTLE ON THE EMPIRE BUILDER...

1. King Street Station, WA (SEA) >> West Glacier Station, MT (WGL)

Belton Chalet, Lewis/Clark Cottage - (1 Night)

As this is the very entrance to the Western side of the Park, I was thinking that we could possibly spend the morning whitewater rafting from Moccasin Creek to West Glacier along the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, as it's right outside from us and there doesn't seem to be many other options in the immediate. I would love to do this regardless at some point on our trip and figured this was the most convenient way to fit it into the itinerary. We're staying at the Belton because I want to spend our first night after Seatlle INSIDE the park, but I don't want to continue any further along as it's too long of a trip and the Empire Builder does not offer sleeper cars.

2. West Glacier Station, MT (WGL) >> Essex Station, MT (ESM)

Izaak Walton Inn, Rear Facing Great Northern Room - (1 Night)

After breakfast and a morning of rafting along the Flathead, I figured we could continue along the rail lines to the Izaak Walton for a single night, just to wander around this area. Is there much to see and do around here? I like the idea of taking the railroad to this historic stop and spending the nigth eitherway.

3. Essex Station, MT (ESM) >> East Glacier Park Station, MT (GPK)

Glacier Park Lodge, King Suite - (2 Nights)

This would be our first multi-day destination and with much more to do and see. I discovered that there is an Avis rental depot right across from the hotel, so we'll ditch the railpass from here on out and continue on our by car. We'll use the GPL as a base to explore the Two Medicine Hat area and lakes, as well as several shorter day hikes and to simply enjoy the amenities and property surroundings as well. After several days riding the rails with only single night stopovers, this will be a nice and leisurely break from that, contrasted by excitement in exploring the surrounding areas. If you have any other suggestions for our itinerary around this lower section of East Glacier, I would really love your feedback!

4. Car Rental from Avis East Glacier Park >> US 89 N to Babb, MT

Many Glacier Hotel, Lakeside Room with Balcony - (2/3 Nights)

Following our couple of nights at Glacier Park Lodge (do you feel that two nights is sufficient to do all of Medicine Hat and also spend some leisurely time around the property and immediate surroundings?) we would then drive North towards the Many Glacier area where we'd spend 2-3 nights exploring this portion of the park. Do you have any other specific recommendations or advice concerning what to do or see? I haven't had much of a chance to research each area of the park yet, beyond the obvious highlights. I'd love your input and feedback!

5. US 89 N/MT-17 across Canadian Border along AB-6 N to AB-5 W >> Waterton Lakes National Park, AB

Prince of Wales Hotel, Suite - (2 Nights)

Now continuing north by car, we'd cross into Canada for 2 nights ont he Alberta side of the border. Again, any suggestions concerning daytime activities and sights would be very welcomed and appreciated!

6. AB-5 E/AB-6 S across United States Border to MT-17/89 S >> Saint Mary Lake in East Glacier Park, MT

Rising Sun Motor Inn and Cabins, Cabin Room (15A/B - 17A/B) along Roscoe Creek - (1 Night)

Driving back down from Waterton into Glacier Park again, we'd continue on to the Saint Mary region where we'd take the cruise tour out onto the lake the next day and explore the immediate area. Should we spend the majority of our time here in the water or on land?

7. Saint Mary Lake in East Glacier Park, MT >> Lake McDonald in West Glacier Park, MT

Lake McDonald Lodge, Lodge Room - (1/2 Nights)

Moving West along Going to the Sun Rd, we'd reach Lake McDonald Lodge, where we'd spend 1-2 nights. I would like to have some leisure time to relax and enjoy Lake McDonald, swim, paddle, perhaps fish, etc. however we are also going to spend a night at the other more-Western end of the Lake at the Village Inn. We're also planning to do a two-night overnight from Lake McDonald to Sperry Chalet, so I wonder if we should just spend a single night at Lake McDonald Lodge after the Rising Sun Motor Inn, or a relaxing 2 nights before setting off early morning for our long and strenuous hike to Sperry Chalet?

8. Overnight Hike along Sperry Trailhead & Gunsight Pass Trail from Lake McDonald >> Sperry Chalet, MT

Sperry Chalet, Private Single Room - (2 Nights)

We're going to leave Lake McDonald Lodge **early** in the morning, which is why I was thinking that it might be nice to spend 2 nights there. Anyway, we'll follow the Sperry Trailhead & Gunsight Pass Trail from Lake McDonald Lodge into the high country until we reach Sperry Chalet. I would like to spend 2 full nights at Sperry Chalet so that we can continue on to Sperry Glacier. Neither my wife nor myself are very experienced hikers, so I assume we'll be doing a lot of training and prep for these hikes as they seem quite strenuous!

9. Sperry Day Hike >> Lake McDonald in West Glacier, MT

Village Inn at Apgar, 2nd Floor Lakeview Room - (1 Night)

Now back from Sperry Chalet to the Western side of Lake McDonald for our very last night in Glacier Nat'l Park. We probably will not reach the Inn until quite late int he afternoon/evening, which is why I've chosen to spend the night. I haven't mapped out the trail properly yet, but I believe that we'll actually be hiking back down to Lake McDonald Lodge where we'll retrieve our car and then drive 15 mins. over to this motel for the night. It will be nice to shower, clean up, and relax out on the deck by the lake after the activity of the two previosu days!

8. Exit Glacier National Park along US 2 >> Hungry Horse, MT

Historic Tamarack Lodge & Cabins, Lodge Room - (1 Night)

And now, the end of our trip - our final destination! We'll wave goodbye to Glacier and continue along the hwy for an approx. 20 min. drive to Tamrack Lodge. This is located in Hungry Horse and I'm really not familiar with the attractions of this area, but it seems to be just outside of the bigger commercial towns with restaurants, shops, etc. Perhaps we'll use our time here to explore the Columbia Falls area or Kalispell? You'd mentioned that we should visit Kalispell in several posts above, but I can't seem to find much information on it as a destination point, beyond just being a nice town en route to Glacier Nat'l Park. Do you recommend spending our day ina dn around Kalispell and is there anything we should specifically seek out on our last day?

9. Glacier Park International Airport, Kalispell, MT (FCA) >> Oakland International Airport, CA (OAK)

Goodbye West! We'll wake up, check out of the Tamarack Lodge and head to the airport to fly back into Oakland, CA (and then catch the train into San Francisco).

What do you think??
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
How do you plan on returning the rental car from Avis? Are you returning it to FCA (Kalispell airport code) ?

Many Glacier do 3 nights

At Rising Sun, Two Meicine, and Many Glacier the boat trip gets you to trail heads that you take there spend a few hours hiking then take the boat back. Plan on doing all 4. Lake MacDonald its a loop trip on the lake (90 min)

http://www.glacierparkboats.com/

From the Canadian side there is a boat trip you can take from there back into the US side at the opposite end of the lake for trail hiking--this operates similar to the other boats. The area is called Goat Haunt and there is a waterfall trail many do.

2 nights are fine for Medicine hat. You go into Two medicine for the all day then you can go back up there before going to Many glaciers...or go straight to Many Glaciers.

Sperry Chalet---that is why I suggest Granite Chalet. i think the hike to there is easier. It seems they actually have had events operate from there are certain weekends where you can take guided hikes. The trail from Logan to there is up hill but not to bad...then from the Chalet to Many Glacier is all down hill. I dont know what Sperry Chalet offers. I know Granite offers food that you just make. Granite has various activities.

Either one should be doable. You could also just do a one night stay and then come back to Lake McDonald in the evening.

The other part of this is to spend time at Logan Pass area. There are alot of hikes there. From Lake MacDonald and rising Sun you can take shuttle bus to there instead of trying to drive and park (very diffficult). the only time to drive and Park at Logan is if you want to be up there at Sunset. The buses stop at 7pm. People tend to start to leave around 3pm/4pm so you can drive up there then and find some Parking.

Other things to see in Kalispell area......

FlatHead Lake where there are various boating options. There are a ton of places you can stay Lakeside.

Along Hungry horse there are some hiking areas.

To the south of the park you have bob Marshall wilderness area. Seely Lake is the area. There is a Falcon Guide for Bob Marshall wilderness area. There are various lodges and Ranches in the area like Wilderness Lodge and Spotted Bear Ranch.

To the south toward Missoula is the Bison range and other wildlife area around here and Kalispell.

http://www.spottedbear.com/wilderness_lodge_cabins.php

This is why I think it may be easier to see about renting the car from the Kalispell area and then go to East side by car and then come back. So doing the rental loop out of FCA would be easier and likely cheaper.

Last edited by djp98374; Apr 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:30 pm

http://www.nps.gov/common/commonspot...rkname=Glacier

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/maps.php

above as hiking map links for the different areas

Another part of the park you havent talked about exploring is the PoleBridge area.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I'm late to the party here, but skimmed through the thread. Do you have all of those lodging reservations secured? Glacier Park Lodge shouldn't be a problem, but the rest on your list (Many Glacier, PoW, Lake McDonald) are effectively sold out for much of the summer. Sperry Chalet is definately sold out (it fills up in Oct or Nov for the following summer).

People with existing reservations are making changes all the time, so it's possible to get some of what you want if you check back regularly. However, I seriously doubt that you'll be able to piece together the itinerary you've laid out at this late date (unless you already have).

FWIW, I've been to Glacier several times, and am returning there this summer. I started planning my lodging back in January, and even then getting coherent blocks of the room type I wanted for the dates I wanted was very difficult. I'm still checking back nearly daily for a couple of changes I'd like to make.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cbender
I'm late to the party here, but skimmed through the thread. Do you have all of those lodging reservations secured? Glacier Park Lodge shouldn't be a problem, but the rest on your list (Many Glacier, PoW, Lake McDonald) are effectively sold out for much of the summer. Sperry Chalet is definately sold out (it fills up in Oct or Nov for the following summer).
You missed an important piece of this in OPs other thread on Yellowstone.

this is a summer 2014 planned trip.

the came about in coversations in the other thread.

The OP is doing Yellowstone/Teton this summer and Glacier next summer.

The reservations shouldnt be an issue. I say that not knowing what plans are. I think a few years ago one of the lodges was closed for the season for renovations.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by djp98374
You missed an important piece of this in OPs other thread on Yellowstone.

this is a summer 2014 planned trip.
Ah, then no issues. Never occurred to me that anyone could be so organized to be planning 15 months in advance!

Many Glacier Hotel was half-closed a couple of summers ago for major renovations in Annex 1 and the dining room. This is why some of the rooms at Many Glacier are now listed as "refurbished" when you search for availability. The 2nd half of the hotel still needs to be done, although I don't know if the financing is in place.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:27 am

I am also planning a trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. I haven't been to either, but i have found the Moon guides to be very thorough.

I think there is so much to see, and potential diversions like wildlife to stop and watch, day hikes, and traffic jams, that i'm not developing a firm itinerary but rather a list of sights ranked in combination of priority and geographical proximity.

the yellowstone/teton book is particularly good. there is a surprising amount of history/background in it for a travel book. also, the author is fairly candid and gives you the 'feel' of certain places. in a few instances he's a bit colloquial and you are not sure of his meaning, but in other places it works well and you really get a sense of the place. i have read a lot of travel guides and these do a great job of helping you to prioritize different sights. the glacier book really has some great photos, unfortunatley, however, the author didn't always label them!
Old May 30, 2013, 7:20 am

I booked the Many Glacier Lodge 6 months ago---for mid-June--and it was very booked already.So if you do not have reservations for most of these places you may have a problem.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Looking to do 3 days in Glacier. Will fly into MSO since I can use my HZ pts for a car , which cant be had @ FCA for the lower rate. Plan is arrive very late on a Sun night p/u the car Mon morn and return it Thurs (chose MSO since besides FCA it looked like the closest airport to the Park

Is there a difference in driving West to East or East to West on the Road to the Sun? Is it worth while to do a road trip by driving on Route 2 the road that goes South of the Park? or are there places in the park that I would be better off checking out. I can fly into GTF as well if its better to 1st drive East to West

Not looking to sleep in the park. I realize 3 days isnt much but thats all I got available so its better then nothing

tia

Last edited by craz; Jul 10, 2013 at 11:24 pm
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by craz

Is there a difference in driving West to East or East to West on the Road to the Sun? Is it worth while to do a road trip by driving on Route 2 the road that goes South of the Park? or are there places in the park that I would be better off checking out. I can fly into GTF as well if its better to 1st drive East to West
from what i have read, the going to the sun road gets crowded, especially the parking lot at logan pass. logan pass has a trail head to hidden lake which sounds very worth doing. so you want to get an early start.

i also gather that fewer folks start on the east side of the park, because there are more lodging options on the west side. so all things being equal, you may be better off doing the going to the sun road from east to west. also, in the morning, you won't be looking into the sun.

taking the road south is quicker. there are some things listed in the guidebooks but its not on the level of going to the sun road.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by craz
Looking to do 3 days in Glacier. Will fly into MSO since I can use my HZ pts for a car while , which cant be had @ FCA for the lower rate. Plan is arrive very late on a Sun night p/u the car Mon morn and return it Thurs (chose MSO since besides FCA it looked like the closest airport to the Park
It's also worth considering flying to YYC. It's an easy 3 hour drive from there across the border to the east side of the park.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's also worth considering flying to YYC. It's an easy 3 hour drive from there across the border to the east side of the park.
Have to admit I didnt even think of that possibilty. However 1 HZ wants 1200 pts per day its 600 out of MSO. 2ndly If I flew into YYC Id never make it to Glacier Id end up in Banff and Lake Louise

With DL Im able to get mainliners to MSO there and back with GTF hello puddle jumpers

Last edited by craz; Jul 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
from what i have read, the going to the sun road gets crowded, especially the parking lot at logan pass. logan pass has a trail head to hidden lake which sounds very worth doing. so you want to get an early start.

i also gather that fewer folks start on the east side of the park, because there are more lodging options on the west side. so all things being equal, you may be better off doing the going to the sun road from east to west. also, in the morning, you won't be looking into the sun.

taking the road south is quicker. there are some things listed in the guidebooks but its not on the level of going to the sun road.
Thanks maybe I will simply drive West to East and back my 1st day to get the road out of the way and then theeh next 2 days hit some trails and lakes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.