FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   Avoid Deadwood, SD during Sturgis? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/1374154-avoid-deadwood-sd-during-sturgis.html)

SFOSpiff Aug 5, 2012 10:16 pm

Avoid Deadwood, SD during Sturgis?

Any advice on whether I should avoid Deadwood during the Sturgis Rally? I'd like to spend a few hours there when I pass through the area, but I didn't realize it was Rally Time. To (possibly) make it worse, the only time I can spare is Friday (8/10) late afternoon into the evening, so there's the after work and weekender crowd, too. I can't change my schedule, all I can do is go this Friday or skip it.

I'm sure it will be crowded, and I'm ok with that, but I just want to be sure it's not awful, like "3 hours to find a parking space and walk a few miles" awful.

UnitedFlyGuy Aug 5, 2012 10:50 pm

Been there. One word: awesome. And im not even a motorcycle guy.

Definitely do it of you can.

SFOSpiff Aug 5, 2012 11:06 pm

Appreciate the response, but actually I'm not the least bit interested in the rally itself (I should have been more specific about that). I just want to be sure that it won't be so crowded that a regular (non-rally) visit to Deadwood is impossible or unpleasant.

Gardyloo Aug 6, 2012 8:08 am

Deadwood is pretty crowded throughout the summer, so if you're planning on spending the night, I don't know that the rally in Sturgis will make much of a difference. If it's just for a few hours during the day/evening, no big deal; the town will be full but so what? Parking is a bear but there's a trolley that runs all over the downtown area.

Don't miss a visit to Lead ("leed") as well as Deadwood.

n dakota Aug 7, 2012 3:03 pm

Avoid Deadwood, SD during Sturgis?

Sturgis is a mess during the rally. Deadwood being close to 20 miles away will be very busy during the rally but certainly doable. They normally don't allow parking along main street in deadwood but motorcycles are allowed during the rally. Fun to see all the different bikes. Keep an eye out for celebrities too.

jneugeba Aug 7, 2012 4:23 pm

If you have no interest in the rally and associated things I would avoid the area like the plague. Even down in Custer (~70 miles from Sturgis) it is hard to get a feel for the town as it has been taken over by rally things and motorcycles.

amanuensis Aug 8, 2012 4:05 pm

I just asked Mrs. Amanuensis, who grew up in Deadwood and still has a sister that lives in Sturgis. Mrs. A said, "Absolutely!" when I asked if someone not going to the rally should avoid Deadwood during it. She also advised not going anywhere near the Black Hills during rally time.