Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kind of Newbie...need help [Denmark to Pacific Coast USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Kind of Newbie...need help [Denmark to Pacific Coast USA]

I am planning a 2 week trip from Denmark to West Coast, USA.

Do you think July is better or October is better?

Anyone can help me which fares at the same time better miles?

My plan is to fly into SFO or LAX and drive through with a rental car to San Diego, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, San Jose, Sfo, LAX........

Kind of thinking how to maximise the points from car rental as well as hotels?

Any kind of assistance will be appreciated....I have read thru many forums, but yet not able to decide where I should post this for best advice.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by varunr2000
I am planning a 2 week trip from Denmark to West Coast, USA.

Do you think July is better or October is better?

Anyone can help me which fares at the same time better miles?

My plan is to fly into SFO or LAX and drive through with a rental car to San Diego, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, San Jose, Sfo, LAX........

Kind of thinking how to maximise the points from car rental as well as hotels?

Any kind of assistance will be appreciated....I have read thru many forums, but yet not able to decide where I should post this for best advice.
Can you give us a breakdown of your current mileage balances?

Personally I find that whilst there might be one awesome redemption, say on a One World partner- if you happen to have 3 million united miles the redemption you are looking for is going to be on Star Alliance..

For cars you can apply your FF# to your reservation and there are different campaigns, but your best value from a car rental will probably come from keeping the price low, looking at Priceline, Hotwire etc and comparing.

For month to travel - depends what you like - hot summer or cooler autumn?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Kind of Newbie...need help

Fares aside, if you are planning on doing outdoorsy activities in the southwest, October would be better.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by 8rulos
Fares aside, if you are planning on doing outdoorsy activities in the southwest, October would be better.
+1

Nevada, South CA is a hell in August.
Something else to consider. US (CA) is big. VERY big. You might consider less places, staying in a couple of them for more days. Otherwise you will spend your vacation mainly on the (very crowded) roads.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:18 am

I have traveled there in early October and loved it. Great temperatures, lower hotel prices, and less tourists.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
October. The kid are in school and the weather is so much nicer. The desert in summer is awful.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:15 am

The West coast is always nicer in July, but based on my experience in Denmark, it's cold as heck there in October and you may be better off just coming then. A break from the REAL cold.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:32 am
Original Poster

I prefer something like 15 - 25C when it comes to temperature. I dont have much poits as of now, just used them up. I travel between 10000 to 40000miles a year.

In europe im kind of aware of which offers, car rentals or hotels to book..

But US is very new and seems very interesting with all those coupon culture and so on.

And thats why came here to find out more advices from you guys.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:45 am

I am from SFO, I think Oct is much better. CA is big and 2 weeks may be not enough to see all the places you want. One-way rental is the thing you want from SFO to LAX. Fly to SFO, car rental is right next to the airport, very easy to get there with free airport line rail (from terminal G). You can skip San Jose ( mostly for foods n companies). My suggestion is not to rent a car on the arrival day. Just book hotels around the airport with free shuttles (there r some). To get to SF downtown from hotel, take free bus shutttle from hotel to airport, then take bart to SF downtown and shopping places; from downtown, you can get a cab or rent a bike to Golden Gate Bridge or Twin Peaks or Russian Hills. Then get car rental, drive along the coast line on highway 1, you will see Santa Cruz, Monterey,........Get to LAX, return car, get to down town by bus or cab to see all places you want to see, then get car rental to Las vegas, ..., and be back LA, drive to San deigo.... Take a flight from LAX to be back home. Marriott might have promotion, every 2 stays, 1 free night cert up to cat 4, can be used in europe, National car rental cheap on weekends, also UA miles promos. hope that helps
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by varunr2000
I prefer something like 15 - 25C when it comes to temperature. I dont have much poits as of now, just used them up. I travel between 10000 to 40000miles a year.

In europe im kind of aware of which offers, car rentals or hotels to book..

But US is very new and seems very interesting with all those coupon culture and so on.

And thats why came here to find out more advices from you guys.
Sounds like a revenue ticket then... I would be looking at prices on Priceline and Kayak for flights.

For hotels you want to probably avoid going directly to major brands websites and instead look at places like hotels.com to get a feel for the hotels availble by star rating, then go over to hotwire.com to get a discount on that if you want to keep costs even lower you could consider airbnb.com

For car rental priceline or hotwire
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
I agree it may be a quick trip to see everything you want but it could be done if you just want to see things. I used to live in so cal. The draw is the warm weather and beaches. If you want to enjoy that i would say summer is the better time. Understand people say it is busy then because that is the best time to go. It is dry heat so i could wear a suit on a 100 degree day and still be mildly comfortable. Living in the south east us now and it is horrible when it gets hot with humidity.

I would agree to take public transport in sfo depending on what tou wanted to see. Some things maybe too far and daily rate on car would be cheaper then taxis, or other transporrt. Also depending on what hotel you stay, you may have parking fees. A few days to see wharf, downtown, and maybe day trip to wine country.

Drive to la va 1 to see coast, and maybe one night midway on the beach. Alot of bed and breakfasts along the way.

Once in LA a few days at the beach, venice, santa monica, hollywood, beverly hiils.

Drive hwy 1 south to see coast maybe stop somewhere else south laguna or san clemete or newport just to see area and beaches

Then to sandiego and more beaches. Could take day trip to mexico just to see another area. Very poor and could be depressing but something to see.

Driving east maybe night or two in palm springs to see desert resort and just relax by pool. It will be hot so it depends if you like the dry warmth. One or two nights there and take tram to top of mountain (will be cold) just to see diversity.

Drive from there to vegas for a couple days and either day tri to grand canyon or drive overnight to flagstaff and see grand canyon from there. Maybe fly home from vegas. You could do all in two weeks without spending alot of time in each location but could get a good fell for all of it. Time on the road would be outside the buyy freeways so more sightseeing the area then just getting to next location other then drive to vegas as that is a longer drive.

As to cars if you have chase or capital one i havefound there rewards sit ethe cheapest place to rent cars that are refundable. I havenot used priceline or hotwireand they may be better.

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Sounds like a revenue ticket then... I would be looking at prices on Priceline and Kayak for flights.

For hotels you want to probably avoid going directly to major brands websites and instead look at places like hotels.com to get a feel for the hotels availble by star rating, then go over to hotwire.com to get a discount on that if you want to keep costs even lower you could consider airbnb.com

For car rental priceline or hotwire
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:48 am

OP is living in Denmark, so probably won't have any cards we are familiar with other than perhaps an Amex Plat.

If they like 15-25C then I would say October is way better for them.

In addition to the good advice about places to visit and routes I would recommend checking out San Francisco and driving up through Sausalito to the Napa Valley.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:52 am

+1 for October. The scenic route between LAX and SFO along the coast is highly recommended.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to the most appropriate destination forum.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I agree that you should come in October... especially late October. The weather is usually really beautiful at that time. So, what are you interested in seeing? The west is soooooo big.

San Francisco is a fun, chic town with a great night life, good eating, fun museums. You can walk or take public transportation. There's a railroad that will take from from San Francisco to Downtown LA to San Diego... Amtrak Coaster. It's fairly inexpensive and easy. You could stop in Santa Barbara on your way south or north-- a very pretty town with a big Spanish Mission. You would enjoy that stop.

LA is, well, LA... any tour book can help you pick some good choices there. You will generally need a car no matter what, but there are buses and the Metro. Disneyland is an hour's drive from LAX.

San Diego is fun... a little history, a little scenery, Sea World, the zoo, Wild Animal Park... gorgeous beaches, great restaurants, etc.

So, that's the coastal route... if you want to go inland, you could go from SF, through the Gold Country (scenic mountains, ghost towns, small historic gold towns) and then through Yosemite National Park-- where Ansel Adams took his pictures. Over Tioga Pass, see Mono Lake and the tufa towers. Then down Hwy 395 through Mammmoth Lakes, Ridgecrest, the desert. There are Indian petrogyphs in China Lake, cool big geological structures in Trona (can't remember the name of those), and miles upon miles of wide open desert with tiny towns and eccentric people dotting the landscape here and there. You will marvel at the sheer size of our deserts, but their beauty is more subtle.

Further south, Joshua Tree National Monument is above Palm Springs and is well worth a visit. You've seen the U-2 album cover, it's an amazing place. You could then head back into the LA or Palm Springs area to go to LA or San Diego, or, drive through the wide open desert towards the Grand Canyon.

How long is your trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.