Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Phoenix nightlife/all star game

Old Jun 28, 11, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

I'm heading to Phoenix for the All Star game and was wondering what type of night life there is downtown. From what I've heard, there isn't a lot going on, but wondering if there might events going on with everyone in town?

I was originally going to stay in Tempe since I had read about an area with a lot of restaurants & bars. But, now I'm looking at downtown Phoenix again. Any suggestions? Just looking for some good bars/clubs to go to each night, without having to go too far.
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:30 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Grab a copy of the Phoenix New Times once you get here, it's free, comes out on Thursdays. That will have a pretty extensive listing of clubs, bars, and entertainment for the week ahead.

There is now a comedy club in downtown Phoenix in the new CityScape project. AFAIK, actual club like clubs are still mostly in Scottsdale and some others are a little North of downtown Phoenix proper.
Old Jun 28, 11, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
You could certainly stay in downtown Phoenix or downtown Tempe and get to the other via the light rail. It is about a 25 min ride between the two.

Mill Ave in Tempe is probably what you were thinking of, it has a bunch of restaurants, bars, etc. There really aren't huge clubs (maybe 1-2 small ones). As it is close to the ASU campus, it usually draws that crowd during the school year. Over the summer break it may be slow...or with the All Star Games it could be rather busy.

There's a few new hotels in downtown Phoenix that may be worth looking at. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a couple of bars/nightclubs in downtown Phoenix, but I'm sure there are others, and I'd bet they'll all be doing things around the All Star Game.

Other areas you can consider staying would be uptown Phoenix, around Central/Thomas to Central/Camelback...there are some bars there, and also some hotels. Or perhaps the airport/North area (near the 44th St/Washington light rail station) with several chain hotels in walking distance. Both these areas would be convenient for using the light rail.
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:40 am

Programs: US,HH
Alice Cooperstown is right next to the ball park and should be pretty busy during the All Star Game. There is another club right next to Alices as well but I can't remember the name.
Old Jun 30, 11, 11:51 am

Programs: USAirways CP
The party/club areas typical are either:
1. Mill Avenue, college town (ASU) with a young crowd (obviously). Not sure how much goes on in the summer, plus I'm past that age

2. Old Town Scottsdale - Actually the southeast corner area of Scottsdale and Camelback Roads. There are a number of bars/clubs.

3. North Scottsdale (Scottsdale Quarter) - Easiest described as where the Apple store is located. There are several upscale bars/restaurants clubs in this area (and across the street at Kierland). Definitely more on the 35+ crowd. Places such as Parc Central and some place I can't remember. Also these two areas contain a number of high endish restaurants (Morton's, Eddie V's, Tommy Bahama, etc.)

4. Blue Martini in City North (north of Phoenix) - Definitely more of a 35+ crowd.

It varies depending on what you are looking for. There were some larger clubs at the peak of the economy but many of those are closed (e.g., Devil Martini, Barcelona).

Have fun BUT don't drink and drive, the laws out here are very tough and costly.
Old Jul 7, 11, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by richinaz View Post
Have fun BUT don't drink and drive, the laws out here are very tough and costly.
Right. You could be arrested as charges with DUI. You can't have drinks the alcoholic beverage. You have to stays in sobers for 8 hours without driving in the car or flying back home. If you want to take on via light rail back to the hotel. If you don't have an extremely intoxicated. You have to stay away from beer, liquors and etc. The alcoholic beverage is very bad for your own Health.

You have to obey the laws. It's extremely important for your safety rules.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: