Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving US 2 Steven's Pass in November

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Driving US 2 Steven's Pass in November

I'm very familiar with SEA as I used to go there on business quite a bit, but my husband and I are considering a leisure trip there since he's never been. We are considering spending some time in the Northern Cascades. It'll be November, maybe late October, during our trip. I know WA regularly closes many of the mountain passes due to snow and avalanches and I'm wondering how rough the drive would be from Seattle to the Wenatchee area via US 2 Steven's Pass during that time frame? Would it be better to drive on I-90? Being from New England I'm used to snow driving, but mountain driving... not so much.

Any insight into the driving conditions in this area during late autumn would be appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Reference Web Site for You

While both Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie Pass can close in the winter, that would be unusual and this web page from WA DOT will keep you updated so you can decide which route to take:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/

Last edited by Frodosan; Sep 8, 2010 at 8:56 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
On any given day, chances are quiet high that both Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie Pass will be open. They rarely close entirely. However, during adverse conditions there may be requirements to use chains. See this page for more info:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/faq.htm#carry_chains

So I would suggest you monitor the webcams and weather forecast. Odds are, you'll be fine. The earlier the better, though. If it's late October, there might not even be any snow yet at the pass levels.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
In late October or November it is extremely unlikely that Stevens Pass will close due to snow or avalanches. I live in Wenatchee and Stevens Pass is one of the two main routes to Seattle, so I drive it often all year long. The passes are much more likely to close later in the winter, late December through early March. Even the North Cascades Highway, which does close completely in the winter, usually stays open well into December. Don't worry, you'll have a beautiful drive. Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Stevens is considerable higher than Snoqualmie. It will be snowing there more often than not during the winter. Just be careful on Blewett. As we lose our daylight here parts of Blewett never see the sun so it gets a lot of buildup of ice and frost. I have driven off it once over the years. (going way to fast in my misspent youth!).

And beware that when it is not snowing it is often raining during these months. And it is darker than the inside of a cat from about 3PM to 8AM during the depths of December up there. So be careful!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:06 pm

According to the OP, we're talking about a trip in late October/November here folks, not the middle of winter, not even in the winter. As one who lives in the area and drives over the pass in question on almost a weekly basis, I can promise that avalanches would be unheard of that early in the year, and that although it might snow, it would be highly unusual for the snow to be heavy enough or to last long enough for the pass to close. Don't scare the OP with tales of what might happen in January or February!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
A careful reading of my earlier post on this thread confirms that I didn't say one damn thing about avalanches... My point is that it can often be snowing in the higher pass and not snowing in the lower pass. The WSDOT cameras can often confirm this.

I agree that the weather in October is likely better than January or February. But I do not pretend to know with exactitude what weather conditions will be like anytime I travel or hike in the mountains. I have encountered adverse conditions from late September into early May in the Cascades. And I have also encountered some spectacular late fall color in the passes as well.

I seriously doubt that my comments affect someone who drives in New England. I don't think there are any 'snow weenies' in New England.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat
You will almost certainly have no issues crossing the pass in November-- by that point, there may be some snow in the mountains but it won't be sticking and accumulating. But to be safe, make sure you have (or rent) an appropriate set of tire chains-- during significant snowfall, the DOT may require drivers to carry chains and troopers will stop all cars to check.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by JPat
A careful reading of my earlier post on this thread confirms that I didn't say one damn thing about avalanches...
The OP mentioned avalanches, not you.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Best Western Diamond
You can also dial 511 from any phone and get current road conditions.
If you have a smartphone, (Iphone or Android) search for WSDOT in the market and download the app.
Traffic reports in the Puget Sound area, Ferries, Pass Reports, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice everyone! Sounds like it's not too bad in November or late October.

I used to hold conferences at SeaTac and I remember a few years back a bunch of conference attendees got stuck staying in Seattle for a few days due to extreme snow fall over some of the cross-state passes. That was actually in early November but I wasn't sure if that was typical or atypical.

If the weather is bad, maybe we'll just head westward instead... dealing with rain might be easier than dealing with snow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.