Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Flight change and status points allocated?

Old Sep 22, 22, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold

Virgin has changed my flight from SYD which was routing via MEL to CBR. It was therefore two sectors in biz on the 737.;they have now changed my flight to the direct flight SYD -CBR on Saab 340.

1. I guess that despite paying biz this is a one class flight
2. Will i still get the same amount of.points as what was originally booked via MEL?

Last edited by nivsy; Sep 22, 22 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Virgin has changed my flight from SYD which was routing via MEL to CBR. It was therefore two sectors in biz on the 737.;they have now changed my flight to the direct flight SYD -CBR on Saab 340.

1. I guess that despite paying biz this is a one class flight
2. Will i still get the same amount of.points as what was originally booked via MEL?
1. one class
2. You would need to ask for it with no guarantee of success &
3. Will i have lounge access? no Yes (your profile indicates no VA or VA Partner status) [EDIT] Status matched I see - Status match?[/EDIT].

If you consider premium cabin/status credits/lounge access are important then you should identify an alternative routing that is acceptable to you and call, asking to be moved to that acceptable routing.
nivsy likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 22, 22 at 11:39 pm
Old Sep 28, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What you are hoping to get is Original Routing Credit (ORC). FF credit for a route purchased but not flown due to circumstances out of your control.

Many US airlines do this. But I can say from experience that VA will *not* honor ORC. VA moved me to a direct NZ flight from a connecting VA flight (this was back in 2015 when NZ was a VA partner). I asked VA for ORC and I was crediting to DL SM (so the NZ flight gave me nothing). I got VA corporate involved as well as DL, and VA offered me a 'one time exception' to credit to DL because DL's program had this policy. But I was told in no uncertain terms that Velocity does not have this policy and will not accept ORC.

Of course anything is technically possible, and that was 7 years ago. But I wouldn't expect anything from Velocity IMO (although maybe you can ask them to put you back on the original routing?)

I did find this thread back when I was trying to get ORC, but it was for a canceled flight on the day of travel, which may have contributed to a customer service gesture. I think it's even less likely than a predetermined schedule change. And of course, this is even further back: Original Routing Credit for DL flights
nivsy likes this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
What you are hoping to get is Original Routing Credit (ORC). FF credit for a route purchased but not flown due to circumstances out of your control.

Many US airlines do this. But I can say from experience that VA will *not* honor ORC. VA moved me to a direct NZ flight from a connecting VA flight (this was back in 2015 when NZ was a VA partner). I asked VA for ORC and I was crediting to DL SM (so the NZ flight gave me nothing). I got VA corporate involved as well as DL, and VA offered me a 'one time exception' to credit to DL because DL's program had this policy. But I was told in no uncertain terms that Velocity does not have this policy and will not accept ORC.

Of course anything is technically possible, and that was 7 years ago. But I wouldn't expect anything from Velocity IMO (although maybe you can ask them to put you back on the original routing?)

I did find this thread back when I was trying to get ORC, but it was for a canceled flight on the day of travel, which may have contributed to a customer service gesture. I think it's even less likely than a predetermined schedule change. And of course, this is even further back: Original Routing Credit for DL flights
Thanks for this. I called Virgin the other day and they have as a service gesture, rescheduled me on my preferred routing and class.

Search this Thread