Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia takes flight with United Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia takes flight with United Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dbuckho
None of us have UA status. Our choice fares included a checked bag per person -- and since there were 4 of us, we had plenty.

Priority security at CBR is not needed. When they started boarding with 15 mins to departure, I realized I had left something pretty important in my Avis rental car. I had time to run back to Avis, get it with a small wait, and get back through security and board the flight (though barely). Only security line we experienced that priority would have been useful was BNE domestic on a Thursday morning - but even then it was 10 mins or less.

VA does have a CBR lounge but we did not have access to it. But we did have 72 AUD to spend at the cityhill coffee restaurant via PriorityPass and the terminal was not very busy -- so at least for CBR probably a better experience than the lounge.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m flying BNE-SYD as a 1K tomorrow and am eager to see how VA implements the status benefits for MileagePlus Premier members.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I flew BNE-SYD this Sunday as a United Premier 1K. Good experience.

I used the priority check-in to check my bag. The agent asked to see my MileagePlus card.

Security was pretty easy. Hardly anyone there; so, any priority line wouldn't have made a difference.

Visited the lounge; it was pretty nice but a bit crowded. Decent offerings for lunch. Lounge agent needed to see my MileagePlus card with my boarding pass when I got to the lounge.

Baggage reclaim at SYD was also pretty quick and painless.

The miles posted to my MileagePlus account about 24 hours after the flight.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Another few data points flying VA operated flights as UA 1K.

Priority benefits granted. Lounge needed to go to the desk to be manually checked in. They saw my MileagePlus number and confirmed my entry. I've only flown Qantas before within Australia, so the VA lounge was a step down in terms of food/drink. Only had Tuna wraps and pumpkin soup left when I arrived and was quite crowded (7pm Sunday).

My flights haven't posted after ~2 weeks (Flex fare, so definitely mileage earning), but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. I'll put in a request with 1K to retrospectively add in.

Some side notes (YMMV):
  • Online and on my cell, Economy X (extra legroom) was still chargeable during check-in, but at the airport, I've been able to select a Economy X seat since 1K is coded in the VA system as Platinum (prints out Platinum on boarding pass).
  • Service was totally fine (only free water/coffee), although delays without a reason why seem to be fairly common on VA as of late. My first flights were mostly on time - push back and sit on the tarmac for 20 min without an announcement from the pilots, but ultimately only a 10 min delay from scheduled arrival, so not a big deal.
  • The upgrade bidding is pretty nice. Most of my flights are 1 hr, so I'll survive in the back, but I've found bids as low at AUD$55 that are awarded. US$35 for a wider seat and a small meal is a pretty good deal, especially if you want to be first at the rental car desk on the way off the plane.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm seeing zero VA award availability on the UA web site now.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'm seeing zero VA award availability on the UA web site now.
Same, I see zero VA availability on any routes. Wondering if it's a technical glitch or really no availability at all?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
As UA 1K can I bring a guest travelling with me to the VA domestic lounges in Australia?
What about priority lines - can the guest on same PNR accompany me for checkin and security?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Checkin is uses machines, and plenty of them. Fast track security has not reopened since Covid and 99% of the time it is okay, on the 1% it is a nightmare - various staff, equipment, training issues etc, and virgin shares its terminals in most airports. Lounge is also by a QR/bar code machine at the lounge entry where you simply press +1 for an extra guest. I have no idea what happens if someone wanders in, pretends to scan and enters the lounge, it is not like there is a physical barrier or anything.

on boarding, there is a priority line that you should be able to use as almost everyone else can use it (business, status, economy x etc)

KF
Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:02 am

Has anyone flown UA, on a UA code, in revenue domestic US "First" and can confirm they received points and status credits per "Business" in the Velocity chart? It specifically only says "Business" (although the fare buckets are aligned), and I don't want to spring for the extra fare for the extra credits if I don't get them.

I emailed the Platinum team at Velocity but the agent didn't seem to really understand the question.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
Has anyone flown UA, on a UA code, in revenue domestic US "First" and can confirm they received points and status credits per "Business" in the Velocity chart? It specifically only says "Business" (although the fare buckets are aligned), and I don't want to spring for the extra fare for the extra credits if I don't get them.

I emailed the Platinum team at Velocity but the agent didn't seem to really understand the question.
Fare buckets are all that matter. Everything else is just marketing.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
Another few data points flying VA operated flights as UA 1K.

Priority benefits granted. Lounge needed to go to the desk to be manually checked in. They saw my MileagePlus number and confirmed my entry. I've only flown Qantas before within Australia, so the VA lounge was a step down in terms of food/drink. Only had Tuna wraps and pumpkin soup left when I arrived and was quite crowded (7pm Sunday).

My flights haven't posted after ~2 weeks (Flex fare, so definitely mileage earning), but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. I'll put in a request with 1K to retrospectively add in.

Some side notes (YMMV):
  • Online and on my cell, Economy X (extra legroom) was still chargeable during check-in, but at the airport, I've been able to select a Economy X seat since 1K is coded in the VA system as Platinum (prints out Platinum on boarding pass).
  • Service was totally fine (only free water/coffee), although delays without a reason why seem to be fairly common on VA as of late. My first flights were mostly on time - push back and sit on the tarmac for 20 min without an announcement from the pilots, but ultimately only a 10 min delay from scheduled arrival, so not a big deal.
  • The upgrade bidding is pretty nice. Most of my flights are 1 hr, so I'll survive in the back, but I've found bids as low at AUD$55 that are awarded. US$35 for a wider seat and a small meal is a pretty good deal, especially if you want to be first at the rental car desk on the way off the plane.
the new menu is awesome!
baked spiced chicken wings, salmon salad, chicken and basil pesto sandwich, quinoa veggie wrap and two types of soup! Not bad for a domestic lounge
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
VA flight booked with UA miles: can’t online checkin?

Flying this Wednesday April 19 SYD-ADL. It’s now within 48 hours, but when I try to checkin I get an error message that there are Technical problems and should try back later.

Call to VA confirms the reservation. CS at Virgin speculates that because I used UA award points, and UA issued tickets on UA stock with 016 ticket number, it won’t let me check in online (although was told I should try again inside 24 hours.) I don’t know what to believe.

Anyone ever had a similar issue? Any workaround short of checking in the morning of the flight? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've had issues in the past when booking VA tickets with DL points.

Try checking in on the VA app, instead of the website.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by CPMaverick;[url=tel:35178039
35178039[/url]]I've had issues in the past when booking VA tickets with DL points.

Thanks, but no, it doesn’t work in app or website. Will post an update tomorrow after attempting to check in at airport.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick;[url=tel:35178039
35178039[/url]]I've had issues in the past when booking VA tickets with DL points.

Thanks, but no, it doesn’t work in app or website. Will post an update tomorrow after attempting to check in at airport.

So after not being able to OLCI, ostensibly due to holding a VA award ticket issued by UA on UA016 stock, I checked in at the VA kiosk with no worries.

Another great mystery of life…

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 22, 2023 at 5:17 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:29 am

Any way to book a flight through United to fly from SYD to CNS. Would really like to use my United miles instead of booking directly on Virgin and paying cash.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jmcdude
Any way to book a flight through United to fly from SYD to CNS.
Use united.com like any other award booking. There's US$18.90 in taxes and charges, which erodes the value, especially in economy. I guess it's decent for business class, but the whole of Australia is the same region, so you can go to Perth for the same miles. (currently 19.3k/27.5k)
Jmcdude likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.