VA international flight search broken?

Old Sep 13, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM& 1MM; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Gold
VA international flight search broken?

I had previously booked for a JFK-LAX-BNE trip for Feb 2021 as a VA stock ticket (with LAX-BNE direct in VA metal).

Now, trying to route via SYD (JFK-LAX-SYD-BNE), and looking for options at VAís website.

Looks like only domestic flights within Australia can be searched, and all international flights for any dates arenít showing up in VAís website. I do see availability if I search via Delta, but given that my ticket stock is VA, Iím somewhat limited....

Anyone else experience this?
Old Sep 13, 20, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
I had previously booked for a JFK-LAX-BNE trip for Feb 2021 as a VA stock ticket (with LAX-BNE direct in VA metal).

Now, trying to route via SYD (JFK-LAX-SYD-BNE), and looking for options at VAís website.

Looks like only domestic flights within Australia can be searched, and all international flights for any dates arenít showing up in VAís website. I do see availability if I search via Delta, but given that my ticket stock is VA, Iím somewhat limited....

Anyone else experience this?
Just had my SYD-LAX Xd for Feb 2021. Reprotected on DL cuz it was ticketed on DL stock. Frankly with Feb being now less than 5 months away and with nothing having changed so far, I don't know whether anyone will be allowed down under by Feb... which would be unbelievable though, as that would be 14 months since all of this pandrama began. So at this point I've just started randomly booking tickets in the hope that at least some can end up being flown. No dice thus far.

So pretty slim pickins on VA metal after their bankruptcy. Especially Intl. I wonder if they'll decide to completely scrap all Intl and just be pure Domestic (+ maybe NZ) until the situation stabilizes in several years.
Old Sep 13, 20, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gq_dq View Post
<snip>
So pretty slim pickins on VA metal after their bankruptcy. Especially Intl. I wonder if they'll decide to completely scrap all Intl and just be pure Domestic (+ maybe NZ) until the situation stabilizes in several years.
All VA long haul is gone. Fleet under the new owners will be B737 only on AU domestic routes. AU<----->NZ may come later.
The VA-DL joint venture is dead, as VA is not operating USA---AU. But still codesharing.
Getting VA to honour existing tickets or change to DL flights will be a big challenge. Better to look for alternatives and hope for a full cash refund.
In my opinion the AU Goverment will still require 14 day hotel isolation, as own cost, in early 2021 for international arrivals.

Main thread---> Virgin Australia Goes Into Voluntary Administration

DL cross posted thread--> VA international flight search broken?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 14, 20 at 3:11 pm Reason: Added cross posted thread
Old Sep 13, 20, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
1st thing airline must due in bankruptcy (if reorganizing and not liquidating) is confirm they'll honor existing future tickets. They're basically like gift cards. They're value to pay for a product/service (the flight) at a later time (when the flight departs). If you buy a ticket with a gift card, it's like buying a gift card using a gift card.

For VA stock tickets, VA will either need to refund or if they can reach agreements with OAL (say DL), rebook passengers to OAL.

It may take a bit for them to reach an agreement for rebooking customers for long haul, but will happen. If not then refund should occur.

Note this only applies for tickets issued on VA ticket stock. A ticket issued by OAL, even if there's VA flights is handled by the OAL. The airline whose ticket stock is used is the one holding the money.
Old Sep 15, 20, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Here is the gist of an email from VA for one my JFK-LAX-SYD trips (DL metal; VA stock):

As a result of COVID-19, international travel restrictions, and the suspension of Virgin Australia services to Los Angeles, we have temporarily paused some elements of our partnership with Delta Air Lines.

As a consequence, your upcoming flight has been cancelled, and unfortunately there is no option to accommodate you on an alternative service.

So, even if DL is flying LAX-SYD, because my ticket was VA stock, looks like VA will not honor the codeshare ticket...?
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
In my opinion the AU Goverment will still require 14 day hotel isolation, as own cost, in early 2021 for international arrivals.
I may have to nix that one too then as I'm supposed to be in NZ for 4 days and Oz for 6 (incl. 3 on Norfolk Island) so if things don't change the trans-Tasman hopping plan ain't gonna work.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Here is the gist of an email from VA for one my JFK-LAX-SYD trips (DL metal; VA stock):

As a result of COVID-19, international travel restrictions, and the suspension of Virgin Australia services to Los Angeles, we have temporarily paused some elements of our partnership with Delta Air Lines.

As a consequence, your upcoming flight has been cancelled, and unfortunately there is no option to accommodate you on an alternative service.

So, even if DL is flying LAX-SYD, because my ticket was VA stock, looks like VA will not honor the codeshare ticket...?
In your case the issue is you booked the VA coded DL operated codeshare. If you had booked under the DL code for the flight (this has nothing to do with ticket stock) then you'd be ok. However while in the end DL would be who you fly, booking the VA coded flight means you booked a VA flight, not DL, despite fact you'd be on a DL plane. Think of codeshares as flights the airline knows they can't operate, thus they also book you on another flight (the operating airline) that happens to fly at exactly same time. Now that VA has decided to axe their flight they must rebook or refund all passengers on their flight. They cant simply rebook on the DL coded flight because that's DLs flight. They have to pay DL whatever DL charges a passenger if they did.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post

In your case the issue is you booked the VA coded DL operated codeshare. If you had booked under the DL code for the flight (this has nothing to do with ticket stock) then you'd be ok. However while in the end DL would be who you fly, booking the VA coded flight means you booked a VA flight, not DL, despite fact you'd be on a DL plane. Think of codeshares as flights the airline knows they can't operate, thus they also book you on another flight (the operating airline) that happens to fly at exactly same time. Now that VA has decided to axe their flight they must rebook or refund all passengers on their flight. They cant simply rebook on the DL coded flight because that's DLs flight. They have to pay DL whatever DL charges a passenger if they did.
While VA has stopped the AU<--->USA flights, the VA-DL joint venture is on hold, VA will still codeshare on DL
ExecTrav (AU) ---> Delta, Virgin Australia pause Joint Venture partnership
<snip>
While the Joint Venture (JV) remains paused, the airlines will continue codesharing on each other’s flights: but returning to a full commercial partnership would only be possible if Virgin Australia returned to Los Angeles.
<snip>
How the money flows in a JV compared to a codeshare is know only to VA-DL.
Do not agree with "Now that VA has decided to axe their flight they must rebook or refund" The DL operated codeshare is still flying (subject to schedule).
metalblaze could push back on VA to keep the flights or an alternative
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:57 am

Actually sounds like OP may already be on the DL codeshare right now for JFK-LAX. That's still on. So basically VA's OK keeping the DL domestic codeshares but doesn't want to pony up for the DL Int'l LAX-SYD?
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gq_dq View Post
Actually sounds like OP may already be on the DL codeshare right now for JFK-LAX. That's still on. So basically VA's OK keeping the DL domestic codeshares but doesn't want to pony up for the DL Int'l LAX-SYD?
That is correct. The ticket was booked via Amex IAP - I called them up, and was told that VA cannot accomodate me in a DL flight (i.e., change LAX-BNE to LAX-SYD-BNE) given that this is a VA stock ticket. So, I canceled my itinerary with VA, and now looking for options to fly the same route (LAX-SYD-BNE) in a DL stock ticket with SYD-BNE being a VA codeshare.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: