Keep Virgin Australia/Velocity flying!

Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by amaroo
COVID-19 takes out another poorly managed business in record time. Tough, but that's life!
Indeed.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Indeed.
If you love Qantas as much as it seems you do, I don't think you should be dancing on the grave of VA. There's a good possibility that whatever comes out of administration could be a lot stronger competitor and I'm not sure Qantas is as strong as you think it is.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by Newman55
If you love Qantas as much as it seems you do, I don't think you should be dancing on the grave of VA. There's a good possibility that whatever comes out of administration could be a lot stronger competitor and I'm not sure Qantas is as strong as you think it is.
you are right. What comes out of administration will be far stronger. There was a good article in the fun review explaining how it is in QFs best interest to see VAH continue to struggle along.

In the end this is the last part of the Borghetti experiment and although an unpredictable and once in a lifetime event has occurred the focus for to long was not on profits but on product. A damn good product but not a profitable one.

this will always lead to failure and is usually only advocated by those spending other people’s money. These same people probably wanted the the same to occur again to spend taxpayers money.

I expect Virgin II to be a focused and profitable business and governments will need to use their public policy leavers to ensure regional Australia is serviced by a competitive air transport industry.

I hope it works through and the majority of jobs saved. It is a shame for Scurrah that his vision was not able to be proven as I think he knew how vulnerable they were. He is a sharply focused operator and may end up running the new virgin.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikalee

I expect Virgin II to be a focused and profitable business and governments will need to use their public policy leavers to ensure regional Australia is serviced by a competitive air transport industry.

I hope it works through and the majority of jobs saved.
Amen! I, for one, have flown VA many times from JFK (via LAX) to MEL/BNE/SYD, and prefer both VA’s PE and Business products better than Delta. To boot, with Delta’s joint partnership, a J class ticket in VA works out great for RDM/MQM/MQD accumulation for DL medallions.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Amen! I, for one, have flown VA many times from JFK (via LAX) to MEL/BNE/SYD, and prefer both VA’s PE and Business products better than Delta. To boot, with Delta’s joint partnership, a J class ticket in VA works out great for RDM/MQM/MQD accumulation for DL medallions.
VA does/did not fly from JFK. Only LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
VA does/did not fly from JFK. Only LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE
Correct - my JFK-LAX legs are always Delta operated (but occasionally VA marketed).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Qantas is stuck with very highly paid staff.

The new virgin whatever they'll be called, will have new ETAs, so staff will be paid less & at same time, will have to do more. More multitasking.

So on the highly profitable routes

SYD/MEL (2nd busiest route in world)
SYD/BNE
&
MEL/BNE

the new airline will have a definite cost advantage.

So qantas doesn't want to cut fares to match virgin mark 2 & in a recession, while many will be looking for cheaper fare options.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Gone they are; no need to get all emotional mate. Let's see the next iteration of a second Australian airline..Ansett, Compass, Virgin....? I can hear Qantas saying "next..." Survival of the fittest. Management led staff on, spending money with no idea. Dick Smith summed it all up nicely.
Virgin aren't gone.
They are in admin with most staff being paid.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
Virgin aren't gone.
They are in admin with most staff being paid.
8000 of their 10000 (80%) staff are stood down on no pay. They may be getting their own entitlements if VAH is that generous or otherwise they are now being paid via the taxpayer under JobKeeper to the tune of $7.5m per week. (I say generous only because under a stand down in AU there is no lawful requirement for an employer to pay entitlements out ie annual leave but most that can do it do do it)
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
VA will right the ship - starting with the naming rights - total waste of money.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AC35K
We fly VA LAX to BNE business every year for our annual holidays to get away from the Toronto Winter. We also only fly VA internally in Australia. They are a far superior product to Qantas and have the best cabin crew.

I really hope they come back stronger.

Last edited by TorontoGooner; Apr 25, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by amaroo
VA will right the ship - starting with the naming rights - total waste of money.
I agree 100%. In a duopoly, who cares about names?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The post Covid19 environment is such that some airlines will need to be closed down. The international flight market is dead and will remain dead for at least another 6 months or more. The focus will be on domestic travel. The models predict minimal amounts of traffic over the next 3 months with it taking up to 2 years to recover. There just won't be enough traffic to support both Q and V during this time One has to go.Yes, there is legitimate concern that the loss of Virgin may allow airfares to rise. If there is a concern, the government can always go back to regulating airfares. Airfares will be increasing significantly, whether or not Virgin is still around. Consumers will have to accept that the airline industry will need fare increases to help keep them afloat and those increases could very well be 25% or more on some routes.

Throwing money at a foreign controlled company will hardly receive much support from the Australian public, no matter how wonderful the employees are. The people most at risk are the mainland Chinese shareholders who hold almost 40%. Seriously, how could anyone make a case to bail them out? No one will shed tears for the wealthy gang from for Singapore Airlines and Etihad if they take a haircut. Branson's plea for a bailout was soundly ridiculed by some of his wealthy peers .As Duncan Bannatyne said, let Branson put his own money in first. He can cash in some of his 4 billion pounds of assets or use it for collateral to get a bank loan if he is that passionate.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Throwing money at a foreign controlled company will hardly receive much support from the Australian public, no matter how wonderful the employees are. The people most at risk are the mainland Chinese shareholders who hold almost 40%. Seriously, how could anyone make a case to bail them out? No one will shed tears for the wealthy gang from for Singapore Airlines and Etihad if they take a haircut. Branson's plea for a bailout was soundly ridiculed by some of his wealthy peers .As Duncan Bannatyne said, let Branson put his own money in first. He can cash in some of his 4 billion pounds of assets or use it for collateral to get a bank loan if he is that passionate.
Some of the deals that were proposed pre-administration would have resulted in the current shareholders doing their money (e.g. through debt for equity swaps). The issue was more perception that money would flow to the foreign shareholders, when in fact they would basically done their money.

Anyway, doesn't matter now. The deals required a level of government support that wasn't forthcoming. Now to see what comes out of the administration process.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The post Covid19 environment is such that some airlines will need to be closed down. The international flight market is dead and will remain dead for at least another 6 months or more. The focus will be on domestic travel. The models predict minimal amounts of traffic over the next 3 months with it taking up to 2 years to recover. There just won't be enough traffic to support both Q and V during this time One has to go.Yes, there is legitimate concern that the loss of Virgin may allow airfares to rise. If there is a concern, the government can always go back to regulating airfares. Airfares will be increasing significantly, whether or not Virgin is still around. Consumers will have to accept that the airline industry will need fare increases to help keep them afloat and those increases could very well be 25% or more on some routes.

Noone will be throwing any money at VA, they are in admin. Foreign owners of VA will end up with minute shareholdings. 40% could end up being 4% or less.

BUT with admin, like chapter 11 in USA much of the VA debt will be gone. Creditors will get cents in the dollar. Owners of leased aircraft, will get no more payments at current lease levels (they will at Qantas) & so new leases will be at fraction of what they have been getting. The world is now littered with 1000s of good aircraft parked. Fuel is cheap. If new VA can hedge fuel at current prices, it will have a massive cost advantage over Qantas. Qantas will have major problems with unions if they try to cut labour costs. This is why it has been reported, that there are over 10 cashed up serious buyers of VA, who will not be taking on much of old VA debt.
Beano likes this.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.