Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Cancellation to cash (and not travel bank)

Old Mar 18, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond & 1MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; HHonors Gold; Amex Platinum

Is it possible for VA to just issue a full refund, instead of a credit voucher? I already have over $7000 of such vouchers for trips canceled between March-June with Delta, Virgin Atlantic, and now Virgin Australia....
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
Is it possible for VA to just issue a full refund, instead of a credit voucher? I already have over $7000 of such vouchers for trips canceled between March-June with Delta, Virgin Atlantic, and now Virgin Australia....
If a flight in your booking is cancelled then you may be able to get a full refund if the alternatives offered are not suitable.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e.../compensation/
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond & 1MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; HHonors Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
If a flight in your booking is cancelled then you may be able to get a full refund if the alternatives offered are not suitable.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e.../compensation/
Thanks - VA canceled my flight earlier today...so, Iím leaning towards getting a full refund.
Old Mar 25, 20, 3:12 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough

My flight operates (SYD-HBA), but now is SYD-MEL-HBA). Leave earlier, arrive later.

Per conditions of carriage, given it's a material schedule change, so I assume I'm entitled to a refund with no cancellation or change fees...

Any tips/tricks on how to work with the VA contact centre (if you can get through) to get a cash refund instead of a Travel Bank?

I'm of two minds on how to approach this:
1* try and push to get the refund now
2* delay, and see what happens to VA (ie go under) so credit-card insurance can kick-in.

Doesn't hurt to try #1 - any experiences with success under this path?

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 20, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Iím in the same boat....no luck with request for a refund - communicated extensively with a Twitter agent. So, opted for a e-credit for future use.
Old Mar 29, 20, 6:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Why can't you use charge-back against the card you paid with?
Old Mar 29, 20, 11:58 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I had a DUD-MEL (via BNE) booking. Given VA are very unlikely to operate the DUD-BNE route in the time I have to spend my credit, I would prefer a refund too as I wont be able to use it?
Old Mar 30, 20, 3:42 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
I got a full cash refund back from a cancelled flight but had to call up. They were defaulting to travel credit otherwise.

I think the game is to keep as much as possible unless passengers formally ask.
Old Mar 31, 20, 1:09 pm

Virgin refunds

Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
Thanks - VA canceled my flight earlier today...so, Iím leaning towards getting a full refund.
our flights were cancelled by VA and I opted for refund - was told it will take up to 90 days!
Old Mar 31, 20, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracy McLaughlin View Post
our flights were cancelled by VA and I opted for refund - was told it will take up to 90 days!
I got the same response - no refund though; an e-credit/voucher for future use. Still waiting for the $ to show up.
Old Apr 1, 20, 3:52 am
Original Poster

I spoke with a VA agent yesterday, and she said that they are no longer issuing full refunds even for flights that "VA canceled" -- instead, for international tickets, there are 2 options: 1) get e-credit for future use (book within 365 days), and 2) get a refund after deducting the $400 cancellation fees from the international airfare.

Both options did not jive well for me.....anyone else had similar experience?
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:05 pm

Yes I was told the same thing via an email I received from them. In the email it states that this $400 fee is per "policy" . I had read the whole policy prior to writing the email a couple of weeks ago and I knew there was nothing about a fee. So I went back on the website and again see nothing on there. But this time I see a "Covid-19 Policy" which does show all kinds of "fees". It is illegal for any company to come up with a NEW policy after the fact or during such a drastic time. I am quite appalled and disgusted at this and wrote back to them saying just that and have done a charge back through my credit card for now since we have more than $15K tied up with VA (4 international and domestic flights in Australia). In their email to me, it says to reverse the charge back asap so they can do a refund minus the $400 per ticket. If not, they will be in touch to collect the fee. This does not sit well with me at all.

I am also logging a complaint against them with DOT. I suggest everyone to do the same if they are not getting a full refund for their flights. I understand the position these Airlines are in but it absolutely wrong for them to not refund our money when they have cancelled the flights. Does anyone else have any other suggestions of what else we can do to fight this?
Old Apr 3, 20, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luxxmi View Post
Yes I was told the same thing via an email I received from them. In the email it states that this $400 fee is per "policy" . I had read the whole policy prior to writing the email a couple of weeks ago and I knew there was nothing about a fee. So I went back on the website and again see nothing on there. But this time I see a "Covid-19 Policy" which does show all kinds of "fees". It is illegal for any company to come up with a NEW policy after the fact or during such a drastic time. I am quite appalled and disgusted at this and wrote back to them saying just that and have done a charge back through my credit card for now since we have more than $15K tied up with VA (4 international and domestic flights in Australia). In their email to me, it says to reverse the charge back asap so they can do a refund minus the $400 per ticket. If not, they will be in touch to collect the fee. This does not sit well with me at all.

I am also logging a complaint against them with DOT. I suggest everyone to do the same if they are not getting a full refund for their flights. I understand the position these Airlines are in but it absolutely wrong for them to not refund our money when they have cancelled the flights. Does anyone else have any other suggestions of what else we can do to fight this?
What were the flights? Purchased in USA or Aust? Are you in living in Australia or USA or xx ?
USA laws (DOT) do not apply in Australia. Only in USA. USA does not make laws for Australia.

In my view it is not legal for any company to come up with a NEW policy after the fact. The t&c's at the time of ticket purchase should apply,
Keep going with your charge back. Ignore the "threat" that they will be in touch to collect the fee. This is a tabloid press/TV type matter

The Australian Airline Customer Advocate (ACA) is paid for by the airlines, but in my dealing with then against VA I was very successful (a few years ago)
web site Airline Customer Advocate (ACA)
Old Apr 5, 20, 10:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
VA is facing the real prospect of going under in the next 2 months. Cashflow is the problem, so right now they don't care about angering companies or even potenitally illegal acitivity.

The best option is to perform a chargeback on your credit card at this point.

I'm very lucky that I only had QF flights booked this year. But I'm worried about my 700k VA points
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:42 am

Has anyone successfully performed a chargeback for this? I thought you only had 120 days to file a dispute for Visa/Mastercard and I'm not sure this is a valid reason for a chargeback considering the dollar value of any tickets purchased are still available.
Beano likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: