Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Cancellation to cash (and not travel bank)

Cancellation to cash (and not travel bank)

Old Sep 16, 20, 10:52 pm

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Platinum; Hertz Presidents Club
There's an option to pay using Travel Bank credit on the payments page.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:52 pm

The person with the credit would need to book the flight. The credit isn't transferrable.
Old Oct 15, 20, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Some of my recent flights with VA for early 2021 were canceled by the airline (e.g. LAX-BNE). I have been trying to get a "credit" (Travel Bank), and not even asking for a refund. Even that has been challenging, and the default reply has been that "We are under administration currently, and will be able to hopefully resolve your situation by early November". Is anyone else in the same boat?
Old Oct 25, 20, 10:30 pm

I had a flight cancelled, called and asked for a refund, that was early September. Last week I received a notification that the funds were put into a Travel Bank for me. Called again and was advised it should've been a refund, then got an email saying it'll be 3-5 business days till it's back on my card. Waiting with baited breath!
Old Oct 25, 20, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BNEFlyer View Post
I had a flight cancelled, called and asked for a refund, that was early September. Last week I received a notification that the funds were put into a Travel Bank for me. Called again and was advised it should've been a refund, then got an email saying it'll be 3-5 business days till it's back on my card. Waiting with baited breath!
Wow, you are lucky - I have been trying to get $ in the travel bank for last 2 months for a flight (JFK-LAX-BNE) that was canceled in August. I had used $ from a travel bank to buy the tickets, so I am not even asking for a refund...just that the $ be put back in the bank. Repeated phone calls, and I keep getting the same answer: "VA is under administration, and the request is in the queue to be processed...".

VA has been one of the worst airlines to issue refunds etc. IMO.
Old Oct 7, 21, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I have around $1200 AUD tied up in Travel Bank with V.Aus from a trip we were supposed to go on March 2020 (I know should have went in Feb 2020, right?). There is little to no chance of our family traveling to AUS anytime soon, our desire to go has faded since AU seems to be more of a police state now, and prob wont be able to go there before 2023 anyway. How can I get my money back as a refund? Or how can I be creative with the Travel Bank funds to get something worthwhile out of them?
Old Oct 7, 21, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
I have around $1200 AUD tied up in Travel Bank with V.Aus from a trip we were supposed to go on March 2020 (I know should have went in Feb 2020, right?). There is little to no chance of our family traveling to AUS anytime soon, our desire to go has faded since AU seems to be more of a police state now, and prob wont be able to go there before 2023 anyway. How can I get my money back as a refund? Or how can I be crerginative with the Travel Bank funds to get something worthwhile out of them?
couple of points
1) as at today, all fully vaccinated Australians can depart Australia from 14NOV 21 & it looks like foreigners can enter from 1JAN 2022(so guess you could get on a flight to Australia, from evening of 30 Dec 21.

2) don't think the new Virgin has anything to do with the old Virgin. New Virgin could have simply said, we're not the old Virgin & so your $1200 is gone.

The new Virgin is unlikely to be flying between Australia & USA before 2023, unless they start flying B737s, with 2 stops.
(I have done Australia to USA on B737s - Fiji Airways from Australia to Fiji & then onto Hawaii & then Alaska Airlines to west coast)
LadyKilljoy likes this.
Old Oct 8, 21, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 View Post
couple of points
1) as at today, all fully vaccinated Australians can depart Australia from 14NOV 21 & it looks like foreigners can enter from 1JAN 2022(so guess you could get on a flight to Australia, from evening of 30 Dec 21.

2) don't think the new Virgin has anything to do with the old Virgin. New Virgin could have simply said, we're not the old Virgin & so your $1200 is gone.

The new Virgin is unlikely to be flying between Australia & USA before 2023, unless they start flying B737s, with 2 stops.
(I have done Australia to USA on B737s - Fiji Airways from Australia to Fiji & then onto Hawaii & then Alaska Airlines to west coast)
In other words, I'm probably SOL. Wonder if I can donate the Travel Bank funds somehow and at least get a tax w/o?
Old Oct 8, 21, 6:22 pm

Programs: VA, QR
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
In other words, I'm probably SOL. Wonder if I can donate the Travel Bank funds somehow and at least get a tax w/o?
Pretty sure you can use your travel bank on other passengers - so offering to book for someone in exchange for cash might be the best solution for you?

Other tips if you go down this path:
  • You may need to discount the face value to entice someone to book with you
  • Domestic Australian flight bookings don't need a lot of personal information, so you don't need to worry about handling it/request a lot from the buyer. Title, name, gender, phone number and email address is all you'll need.
  • Ozbargain is the best known community bargains website in the country and has a classifieds section in its forums - people regularly trade flight credits and points there, so I recommend giving that a shot. There are no fees to post on the site.
  • You may like to warn people that you're based in the US, so they may be charged foreign transaction fees if they pay using a credit card.
  • Consider posting this after the end of November, when there'll be less lockdowns/more flights and more certainty, so more people looking to book flights.
Old Oct 8, 21, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wendyc12 View Post
Pretty sure you can use your travel bank on other passengers - so offering to book for someone in exchange for cash might be the best solution for you?

Other tips if you go down this path:
  • You may need to discount the face value to entice someone to book with you
  • Domestic Australian flight bookings don't need a lot of personal information, so you don't need to worry about handling it/request a lot from the buyer. Title, name, gender, phone number and email address is all you'll need.
  • Ozbargain is the best known community bargains website in the country and has a classifieds section in its forums - people regularly trade flight credits and points there, so I recommend giving that a shot. There are no fees to post on the site.
  • You may like to warn people that you're based in the US, so they may be charged foreign transaction fees if they pay using a credit card.
  • Consider posting this after the end of November, when there'll be less lockdowns/more flights and more certainty, so more people looking to book flights.
international travel ex Australia, is open to everyone who's vaccinated from Nov 14, 2021. Catch is many who are going then would have already booked. For $1200 credit, you might end up with $300. Is it worth it for all the hassle ? Most Australians won't deal with any foreign entity selling travel these days after many weren't able to refund, cancelled flights etc.

Think Ozbargain classifieds are only for members who have joined at least a year ago.

Maybe try putting an advert on ebay & see if you get any response. Ad is cheap if you don't sell.
Old Oct 9, 21, 6:44 pm

international travel ex Australia, is open to everyone who's vaccinated from Nov 14, 2021. Catch is many who are going then would have already booked. For $1200 credit, you might end up with $300. Is it worth it for all the hassle ? Most Australians won't deal with any foreign entity selling travel these days after many weren't able to refund, cancelled flights etc.

Think Ozbargain classifieds are only for members who have joined at least a year ago.

Maybe try putting an advert on ebay & see if you get any response. Ad is cheap if you don't sell.
The travel bank can be used for domestic AU flights too can't they? And don't need to be used up in the one booking? So I was thinking Hawkeyefan could sell it to people flying, say, the MEL-SYD route where capacity and demand will ramp up in the next few months. I was thinking a 20% haircut to the $1200 face value would be more than sufficient to entice people.

I agree that people won't trust foreign agencies as much post-pandemic, but this 1:1 kind of selling is not exactly your overseas travel agency sort of thing and people would make a distinction between the two (I can't imagine Hawkeyefan would charge fees etc like a travel agency would).

Thanks for the intel re ozbargain classifieds - never done it myself so didn't know such a rule existed.
Old Oct 10, 21, 6:06 am
Suspended

The travel bank can be used for domestic AU flights too can't they? And don't need to be used up in the one booking? So I was thinking Hawkeyefan could sell it to people flying, say, the MEL-SYD route where capacity and demand will ramp up in the next few months. I was thinking a 20% haircut to the $1200 face value would be more than sufficient to entice people.

I agree that people won't trust foreign agencies as much post-pandemic, but this 1:1 kind of selling is not exactly your overseas travel agency sort of thing and people would make a distinction between the two (I can't imagine Hawkeyefan would charge fees etc like a travel agency would).

Thanks for the intel re ozbargain classifieds - never done it myself so didn't know such a rule existed.
20% ? Think you're dreaming, especially when Rex, who basically offer the same service as Qantas or Virgin are much, much cheaper. Travel bank can't be used on all fares either. I think you'd go through a lot of hassle for very little $$$. Maybe give them to someone who is flying Australia & then flying around domestically.
Old Oct 10, 21, 4:34 pm

20% ? Think you're dreaming, especially when Rex, who basically offer the same service as Qantas or Virgin are much, much cheaper. Travel bank can't be used on all fares either. I think you'd go through a lot of hassle for very little $$$. Maybe give them to someone who is flying Australia & then flying around domestically.
Fair point! Though Rex really is nowhere (and won't in the short to medium term be) near Virgin, whether in terms of route network, scheduling or IRROPS, so won't necessarily be the go-to for comparison. Perhaps people will compare Virgin fares to Jetstar fares and that'd be generally reasonable (esp now that VA has a fare that doesn't include food or baggage), but I think VA's regular fares have generally only been marginally higher than JQ anyway.

Either way, hope Hawkeyefan finds the discussion useful!
Old Oct 10, 21, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Fair point! Though Rex really is nowhere (and won't in the short to medium term be) near Virgin, whether in terms of route network, scheduling or IRROPS, so won't necessarily be the go-to for comparison. Perhaps people will compare Virgin fares to Jetstar fares and that'd be generally reasonable (esp now that VA has a fare that doesn't include food or baggage), but I think VA's regular fares have generally only been marginally higher than JQ anyway.

Either way, hope Hawkeyefan finds the discussion useful!
Virgin is far superior to Jetstar & same as Qantas. Rex has reasonable schedule SYD/MEL & fares cheaper than Jetstar.

Qantas gives you no food, except maybe a cookie, on domestic. Rex was growing their market share & Qantas is in trouble, as it can no longer get $1000 for day trip such as SYD/MEL/SYD or SYD/BNE/SYD & so it's profits on domestic trunk routes, will never get back to previous.

Search this Thread