Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Cancellation to cash (and not travel bank)

Cancellation to cash (and not travel bank)

Old Apr 10, 20, 3:13 pm

In my case I did file a dispute with my credit card company since they are the ones canceling the flights, I have not heard anything from my credit card company yet but I think they probably have their hands full with everyone calling doing the same all over the world at this time.

I am considering filling out that complaint form (ACA) but figured I would wait to see what happens with the chargeback since its considerable amount of money over $15K. I would be ok with rescheduling but it wouldn't be until next summer that we could go and if they are in jeopardy of going under than my money definitely wouldn't be returned then. Correct?
Old Apr 10, 20, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Luxxmi View Post
Yes I was told the same thing via an email I received from them. In the email it states that this $400 fee is per "policy" . I had read the whole policy prior to writing the email a couple of weeks ago and I knew there was nothing about a fee. So I went back on the website and again see nothing on there. But this time I see a "Covid-19 Policy" which does show all kinds of "fees". It is illegal for any company to come up with a NEW policy after the fact or during such a drastic time. I am quite appalled and disgusted at this and wrote back to them saying just that and have done a charge back through my credit card for now since we have more than $15K tied up with VA (4 international and domestic flights in Australia). In their email to me, it says to reverse the charge back asap so they can do a refund minus the $400 per ticket. If not, they will be in touch to collect the fee. This does not sit well with me at all.

I am also logging a complaint against them with DOT. I suggest everyone to do the same if they are not getting a full refund for their flights. I understand the position these Airlines are in but it absolutely wrong for them to not refund our money when they have cancelled the flights. Does anyone else have any other suggestions of what else we can do to fight this?
Luxxmi, no airline should be refunding anyone under any circumstances. We are at war.

If airlines did refund everyone, they probably get to about 10% of bookings & then run out of money. Banks never ever lose, so they aren't going to allow chargebacks, unless the banks hold the funds. (sometimes banks hold some credit card purchases in trust, but think this is largely for new startups wanting credit card facilities without huge financial back up)

Interestingly, Wuhan airport in China, has reopened their airport. Only domestic flights so far.
Old Apr 14, 20, 11:21 am

I don't understand Ozflyer, what do you mean "no airlines should be refunding money"? Why wouldn't they? They are a business like any other. I purchased a product and they didn't allow me to use it, so just that definition alone should warrant a refund. Also the DOT came out just recently and said UNDER NO circumstances should the airlines not be in compliant of refunds if they canceled the flight that starts in any US city they must either give a refund or a credit which is up to the customer. But looks like Virgin Australia will be doing the right thing after all. I have gotten an email response saying they are dealing with my issuing bank and will be processing my refund. I suggest everyone else to write to their airlines immediately and get the process started.
Old Apr 18, 20, 8:44 pm

Seeking advice for the (VA) issue I am dealing with, hoping to find some words of wisdom here. :-) I read this thread (and many others) but could not find anything that applies to my case although I cannot believe I am the only one in this position. Apologies if I have overlooked something. And mods please guide my post into the right direction if I am posting in the wrong thread.

Booked a non-refundable, domestic, return trip (4 pax) with Virgin Australia through an OTA, departing April 21. Original flight got cancelled and we were (automatically) rescheduled. Unfortunately this rescheduled flight (departure time is 11,5 hours prior to original booked departure time) does not matches our needs/personal schedule.

Therefor we requested a refund at the OTA. OTA replied with this picture:

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/b8b1b662-628c-4ef4-bb56-5d89ab112912[/img]

The request was denied by OTA based on the (new) VA policy. OTA offered canceling and opting for Travel bank credit on our behalf at VA but not for cash refund.

Accepting Travel bank credit makes no sense as we are European residents not planning on traveling VA again since this trip was a one-off.

In this thread I read that some were successful in gaining a (commitment for) refund from VA by calling in. Unfortunately I do not think that calling in will work for us as we have booked through a middle man?

Our booking for the rescheduled flight is still active. The flight is in 2 days and I need to consider the action I should take. Therefore I am seeking advice on the following:

Is there any point in reaching out to VA myself to discuss my case, knowing that I have booked through an OTA?
Would it be better to cancel the rescheduled flight or just don’t show up?
And if I decide to cancel, do I loose my eligibility of a (possible) cash refund from OTA/VA?
I have not looked into the option of charge back through my credit card company yet. But I wonder if canceling the rescheduled flight myselF would conflict with my eligibility to charge back through my (MasterCard) card?

Last edited by 2110.sha; Apr 18, 20 at 8:53 pm Reason: Photo did not upload
Old Apr 21, 20, 4:29 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Can you claim back from the credit card company answer

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
That depends on the bankruptcy laws of Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if, once the administrators take over, you can't charge back.
I want to dispute my Virgin Australia flight booking / or my Virgin Australia credit hold?

Virgin Australia is continuing to operate scheduled flights noting that their operating schedule has been reduced as a result COVID-19 related restrictions. Card Member bookings and any Virgin Australia credit holds remain unchanged at this time.

If you had booked online directly with Virgin Australia and you’d like to check on the current status of your booking or make changes to your booking you can do this online by going to virginaustralia.com and clicking on the “Bookings” tab and selecting “Manage my bookings”.

What happens to the points I have in my Velocity Frequent Flyer account?

Velocity Frequent Flyer while owned by the Virgin Australia Group is a separate company and not in voluntary administration. For information on your points and updates on the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, you can go to https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/.

What happens to the complimentary flight I get with my American Express Velocity Platinum Card?

Virgin Australia are continuing to operate their scheduled flights. Your complimentary flight is accessible through https://compflight.virginaustralia.com/, noting that with Virgin Australia’s reduced travel schedule as a result of COVID-19 related restrictions, complimentary flight availability may be limited.

If you’d like to check on the current status of your complimentary flight booking you can do this online by going to virginaustralia.com and clicking on the “Bookings” tab and selecting “Manage my bookings”.
Old Apr 21, 20, 11:47 am

Chargeback successful

Regarding chargebacks, I was just notified by my bank here in the US that my chargeback was successful. Back in January I had booked a ticket directly with VA for a flight from California to BNE. When VA cancelled my flight I filed a chargeback with my US bank, and they have now credited my account with the full ticket price. Since I am a US resident I am governed by US law and it is pretty straightforward - the merchant failed to deliver the service.

I hope VA continues with international flights as I would book with them again given the opportunity and the right circumstances.
Old May 20, 20, 10:47 pm

Programs: LH HON, Sixt Diamond
Chargeback successful but conditional

To add onto the previous post by beachbum61,
Originally Posted by beachbum61 View Post
[...] my chargeback was successful. [...]
I have also lodged a successful chargeback with Mastercard in Germany, although it states "conditional" (resp. in original German text "unter Vorbehalt").

Flights were Australia domestic flights for 13-16 April and were canceled by the airline, initially Travelbank was offered, but later received a mail that because of voluntary administration Travelbank credit was no longer possible. Lodged chargeback request with my credit card company in Germany and after about a month they credited my credit card account with above note, though not clear what conditional means.

Any other travelers with similar experience?
Old May 21, 20, 9:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Conditional just means it is still under investigation.

I'm not sure if it varies by country or bank, but usually they give the company a chance to respond, 30-60 days, if there is no response then the chargeback becomes official. If the company responds then the bank will consider their side of the story.
Old Yesterday, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
Originally Posted by beachbum61 View Post
Regarding chargebacks, I was just notified by my bank here in the US that my chargeback was successful. Back in January I had booked a ticket directly with VA for a flight from California to BNE. When VA cancelled my flight I filed a chargeback with my US bank, and they have now credited my account with the full ticket price. Since I am a US resident I am governed by US law and it is pretty straightforward - the merchant failed to deliver the service.
A similar successful experience from me: an Australian domestic flight charged back to a US credit card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: