Travel Bank - Virgin Velocity FF

Old Mar 21, 20, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Question Travel Bank - Virgin Velocity FF

Virgin has cancelled all international flights, and is offering travel credits to their travel bank.
But you need to register to receive the travel credit.
Credits are valid for 12 months, from the date they are issued.
There is however, no terms (I can reasonably see or find) which indicate the time frame you need to 'activate' the travel credits by.
One may assume they possibly need to be activated before the date of travel, but in Corona virus shut down, this seems less likely - they are cancelling the flight, so it's not that you need to cancel and receive credit 'before' the date of the original flight.

SO - What is there to stop one delaying the activation of the travel credit, in order to extend the dates they are valid for? 12 months is not long when their entire fleet is grounded for months as it is from now (till mid June 2020), and who wants to fly anywhere in late 2020 given what's going on? Seems they are likely to have many flyers not able to, or not wanting to make use of their credit before the expiry.

So the strategy to delay requesting the travel credit seems one way to move the 12 month period back. E.g. If I activate the travel credits in 2 months time, have I extended the 12 month period to commence 2 months later? Nothing in the Virgin email gives any indication of the timeframe one must 'activate' the credit, before they are lost - it certainly doesn't say must be done before the original flight date for example.

I suspect the need to 'activate' credits is a small hurdle, as many will not bother or forget, and will thus lose the credits. It would be simpler that they were automatically granted - and the credit activation form just asks you for the same information (Name / DOB) that they already have for your booking anyway.

I feel for Virgin, as all other businesses. One wonders if the lives lost through the global economy collapse (due to government restrictions) will be greater than the virus itself.

But with this unprecedented situation - 12 months expiry of travel credits ...for use on a fleet that is already grounded for three months if not more... 12 months just isn't enough. I'd want at least 12 months from the resumption of services, not 12 months from when I 'activate' some credit. Perhaps 24 months may be fairer given nobody will want to fly for a year or more, and will probably be so devastated they can't anyway for other reasons like accommodation expenses.

Does anyone know if there is such a restriction on when you need to activate / accept travel credits?
Or what is the impact of waiting another two months to activate credits? Will the link to click and activate stop working after awhile?
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Virgin has cancelled all international flights, and is offering travel credits to their travel bank.
But with this unprecedented situation - 12 months expiry of travel credits ...for use on a fleet that is already grounded for three months if not more... 12 months just isn't enough. I'd want at least 12 months from the resumption of services, not 12 months from when I 'activate' some credit. Perhaps 24 months may be fairer given nobody will want to fly for a year or more, and will probably be so devastated they can't anyway for other reasons like accommodation expenses.

Does anyone know if there is such a restriction on when you need to activate / accept travel credits?
Or what is the impact of waiting another two months to activate credits? Will the link to click and activate stop working after awhile?
If your flight is cancelled why dont you just get a refund rather than stuff around with the credits.
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikalee View Post
If your flight is cancelled why dont you just get a refund rather than stuff around with the credits.
I wish that was an option. I've flown to USA, but can't fly back. A refund isn't an option - they are only offering travel credit, not refunds :-(
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The ticket itself remains active for at least 12 months after ticketing. https://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/g...refund_pol.pdf

Refund of tickets validated to Virgin Australia (VA-795) is permitted for unused tickets within 12 months from date of ticket issue or if travel has commenced, 12 months from commencement of travel. Beyond this, the ticket document expires and cannot be refunded.
So in theory you have 12 months to get your refund in the travel bank. I'm not sure I would push it that far; but I don't think you need to hurry on this.

Once it is applied to your travel bank, it appears you'll have 12 months to use the credit. https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...s/travel-bank/

3.1 Travel credits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and will expire on the date that is 12 months from the original date of issue to your Travel Bank (Expiry Date). There may be multiple travel credits in a Travel Bank with different Expiry Dates.

You can use your travel bank credit for any flight 330 days out, so that gives you almost another year.

Note that I have not tested this, it's just my interpretation of the policy.
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond & 1MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; HHonors Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by mikalee View Post
I am in a similar situation - VA is not issuing any refunds best I can tell...anyone with a different experience?
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond & 1MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; HHonors Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
The ticket itself remains active for at least 12 months after ticketing. https://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/g...refund_pol.pdf

So in theory you have 12 months to get your refund in the travel bank. I'm not sure I would push it that far; but I don't think you need to hurry on this.

Once it is applied to your travel bank, it appears you'll have 12 months to use the credit. https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...s/travel-bank/

You can use your travel bank credit for any flight 330 days out, so that gives you almost another year.
The irony here is that VA may cease to exist in 2021...what happens to the credit vouchers then?
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
The irony here is that VA may cease to exist in 2021...what happens to the credit vouchers then?
It's not ironic, just unfortunate. If VA doesn't exist, them obviously vouchers are worthless.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:12 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
That makes the rather heroic assumption that general travel will have resumed 330 days out
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:51 am

Programs: QF WP
I wish that was an option. I've flown to USA, but can't fly back. A refund isn't an option - they are only offering travel credit, not refunds :-(
Was this flight purchased "in Australia". What am I missing? If you purchased a flight in Australia and it is cancelled and a reasonable alternative is not offered you are entitled to a refund under consumer law.

If you have other resources and wish to return to AUS you should do that and have this battle later (whilst you are in quarantine).
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Sadly I do not think Virgin will be operating past May. Not their fault really, but c'est la vie. Transfer all miles to SQ, and get a CASH refund. Both are toast in 60 days IMHO.
Old Mar 28, 20, 1:25 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
Sadly I do not think Virgin will be operating past May. Not their fault really, but c'est la vie. Transfer all miles to SQ, and get a CASH refund. Both are toast in 60 days IMHO.
LOL, Virgin wasn’t the airline asking for 10b capital just to survive two days ago.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm... Travel bank says submission not in eligible window

Hmmm... My flight date has not passed yet. I activated the travel bank credit - but it failed, saying it wasn't in the eligible date range window.
I looked hard, but could not see any mention at all of this eligible date range window in the email they sent, it's only showing here when you actually click the link.

I've sent a query to the support team, so fingers crossed they don't claim it is not eligible for a travel credit.
As someone else here said, they are required to honor the flight or offer a credit - there should be no requirement to 'activate' some travel credit as a requirement by a certain date for this, and besides, it seems unreasonable if the eligible dates are not clearly notified. Having clicked the link provided the day before my flight (which was cancelled a week ago), I'd assume there should be no problem. Anyway - have to wait and see what happens with their support desk response.
Old Apr 1, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Hmmm... My flight date has not passed yet. I activated the travel bank credit - but it failed, saying it wasn't in the eligible date range window. I looked hard, but could not see any mention at all of this eligible date range window in the email they sent, it's only showing here when you actually click the link.
Yes, the email is misleading; the announced eligibility date is (I think) 31/5

Search this Thread
Search Engine: