Velocity COVID-19 Status Extension

Old Mar 18, 20, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Velocity COVID-19 Status Extension

I received an email from VA.

They are giving out Pro-rated SC's for the next three months. (Apr, May, Jun)

e.g. WP get 70 SC each month.

Some extracts:
Status Credit gift
We know that in the current environment with travel restrictions and reduced flights, it may be challenging to maintain your status. To help those of you who may be impacted, we will be gifting Status Credits to all of our current Silver, Gold, and Platinum Velocity Frequent Flyer members to help you maintain your membership.

The below Status Credits will be gifted to your accounts during the first week of the next three months as follows:

If youre receiving the Status Credit gift, well send you a separate email with all the details in the next 2 weeks. You dont need to do anything at this time. Well take care of the arrangements.
kniesel likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 18, 20 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Status levels also frozen:

Dear Mark,

As we all know, this is a rapidly evolving situation which has developed further in the last 24 hours.

In addition to the Status Credit gift recently announced, well also be extending and preserving the current Status of all Velocity Frequent Flyer Silver, Gold and Platinum members for a further 12 months.

This means that there are no minimum flight sectors required to maintain your current Status, for the next 12 months.

Well send you an email in the next two weeks with details on:
1. Your Status Credit gift
2. Your 12-month Status extension

In this changing environment, the safety and needs of our members and guests are key and we are really pleased to be able to offer this 12-month Status extension in addition to the Status Credit gift.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and your ongoing support of the Virgin Australia Group.
Old Mar 19, 20, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
All Elites also to get their term extended 12 months. As well as these free SC bonuses.

Sadly I think there will be no more Virgin come June 30, and cleaned out my million+ point account today. Well we all make our own decisions in life, and this is a very easy one for me, who lost a million or whatever Ansett miles. Gone forever. The “wisdom” of us all then on Flyertalk was it would *never occur.* It did. And occurred VERY fast.

All bookings I’d made with Ansett in their death throes were not all honoured by partner carriers. As will occur with all awards made on Virgin ticket stock I suspect. Delta or Etihad or SQ etc, do not get *paid* by Virgin until that Award Ticket is taken AFAIK, and booking something now for Xmas on one of these is just a pipe dream I think.

These million Velocity cost me $50k to 100k of my own money, and darned if that is all going down the plughole. Yes I could have ordered 30 toasters or hair dryers from the web store I guess instead!

We are both Virgin Plats for another year or two, and will still fly them obviously, and I really do hope they survive this horrible mess - not of their making - except the asleep at wheel inertia of the past week or two with no REAL fare sales to shore up the bottom line.

For 10 years or so as Platinums we got our benefits, Virgin got our money, and everyone was pretty happy with the deal, and a vibrant Virgin kept Qantas a little more honest! Let’s all hope it stays that way for the sake of ALL travellers.

However if Virgin go belly up by June 30, which looks 99.9% certain to me sadly, the miles are now safe. Unlike the Ansett bust, who foundered in isolation, EVERY carrier globally right now is close to the wall, so no-one is about to pick over the carcasses anywhere – and there will be dozens by June 30.

If Qantas furloughed 20,000 workers of 30,000 today and grounded EVERY It'l flight, the bells are ringing loudly sadly.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
Sadly I think there will be no more Virgin come June 30, and cleaned out my million+ point account today.
How did you manage this?

I have 750k points and the best option I see is SQ, but those expire.
Old Mar 21, 20, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
How did you manage this?

They indeed transferred them to SQ.

Time to transfer/ withdraw points...? | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
How did you manage this?

Yes to SQ.

THEY will survive this mess even if no one else does!

You can use them for THREE years and 6 months months for a small fee if you want.

Do it fast tho if you take that path ... word on the street is that path might be blocked soon.

Virgin sadly will be history well before June 30, now near all states here have banned travel inwards to other than residents
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:07 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
Yes to SQ.

THEY will survive this mess even if no one else does!

Virgin sadly will be history well before June 30, now near all states here have banned travel inwards to other than residents
Thanks. I agree SQ is pretty likely to survive. I disagree that VA is dead. No airline can survive this kind of shutdown without help, including QF... and the AU government will make sure both get through to the other side.

Of course after that all bets are off, as VA has been shaky for some time....
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin CEO went begging for more money in recent days and got told to go away. They are gone for all money IMHO.

Qantas is the First Born and will get propped up. That is if the Feds have anything left in the kitty after signing up a gazillion folks on benefits this week on an open ended support lifeline.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:52 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
“We are pleased to now provide an update on what this means for you:

Gold membership year-long extension

We have extended your benefit period for a further 12 months1. This means your new review date is now 23 April 2020. “

HUH?
Old Apr 1, 20, 3:57 am

Programs: Turkish *G, Qatar silver,
thats exactly what i got.

my renew date is june 2 , i had already qualified to renew, so i assumed that my new renew date would be june 2, 2021 makes sense no?
Old Apr 1, 20, 6:50 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
VA are aware of the error and will send out a new email in the coming days
Old Apr 1, 20, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Follow up email received this morning - stressing:
Your current Status will be extended for a further year1. Since we weren’t planning on reviewing your status until xx May 2020, you’ll get a further 12 months once you reach that date. You don't need to do anything and once your bonus year of Status begins, you'll be able to see this on our Website and in the Velocity App. 

You will of course still receive the Status Credit giftwe offered you in our last email. We hope this is now a little clearer.
Old May 2, 20, 10:33 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Are SC gifts still happening in May and June?

I know VA's very survival/reincarnation is at stake, and understand there are far bigger issues to consider right now, but just out of interest: does anyone know whether the status credit gifts are still going ahead in May and June as originally planned? Since Velocity is a separate company and their website still lists the page detailing the offer, I'm daring to hope that they will appear, though as of now (May 3rd) the May instalment has not yet, whereas last month's was dated April 1st.

This is of particular interest to me because the June SC gift will actually bump me up to Plat for the first time (and of course my pre-COVID plan was to take a few flights by then to ensure that happened). I for one would gladly support the new Virgin if the product isn't too stripped back vs the one we know well. I'm a fan of VA, I like the crews, and while I like QF as well I don't see any real reason to pay more for their product. I'll support VA Mk2 regardless of whether I stay at Gold or bump up to Plat, but it would be a nice bonus.

Whatever the answer, here's hoping VA rises from the ashes in one form or another. Right now that's actually looking pretty promising, given the very high level of interest from investors and consortia circling the scene. Interesting times!
Old May 2, 20, 10:36 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
I know VA's very survival/reincarnation is at stake, and understand there are far bigger issues to consider right now, but just out of interest: does anyone know whether the status credit gifts are still going ahead in May and June as originally planned? Since Velocity is a separate company and their website still lists the page detailing the offer, I'm daring to hope that they will appear, though as of now (May 3rd) the May instalment has not yet, whereas last month's was dated April 1st.

This is of particular interest to me because the June SC gift will actually bump me up to Plat for the first time (and of course my pre-COVID plan was to take a few flights by then to ensure that happened). I for one would gladly support the new Virgin if the product isn't too stripped back vs the one we know well. I'm a fan of VA, I like the crews, and while I like QF as well I don't see any real reason to pay more for their product. I'll support VA Mk2 regardless of whether I stay at Gold or bump up to Plat, but it would be a nice bonus.

Whatever the answer, here's hoping VA rises from the ashes in one form or another. Right now that's actually looking pretty promising, given the very high level of interest from investors and consortia circling the scene. Interesting times!
Wife and I both received our 70SCs on Friday
mad_atta likes this.
Old May 2, 20, 10:39 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce View Post
Wife and I both received our 70SCs on Friday
Interesting! I wonder whether different accounts sweep at different times? Will keep an eye on the account.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: