Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Flight to New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling Flight to New Zealand

I have an upcoming flight to NZ from Australia on Virgin Australia. Following the NZ PM's announcement of a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all travelers upon arrival, has anyone had luck canceling their flights and receiving a refund? I've been on hold with customer service for hours and can't get through.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjs11
I have an upcoming flight to NZ from Australia on Virgin Australia. Following the NZ PM's announcement of a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all travelers upon arrival, has anyone had luck canceling their flights and receiving a refund? I've been on hold with customer service for hours and can't get through.
When you get an answer, please post on FT
When did you book the ticket and when is travel?
Would expect NZ<---->Aust flights to be cancelled/changed in the coming days/week on all airlines. Demand will drop a lot. If rescheduled you should/may be able to get a full cash refund
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
VA is allow refunds on all New Zealand flights before 29 March, and 12month credit on all flights before 30 June that involve New Zealand.

Ive got an Bali trip in April that is now pretty much an no go, just it’s near impossible to get hold of VA currently (or any airline on the Tasman).

Really hoping they just put up an online form this week on there website to request the travel credit rather than having to call.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:08 pm

Australia has just announced the same 14 day isolation policy from midnight tonight! Would expect most Tasman flights to be canceled soon, so might just get you an refund back to your purchases credit card.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@rjs11

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...travel-alerts/

New Zealand travel restrictionsWe are aware of new travel restrictions announced by the New Zealand Government.

Currently, we plan to operate all Virgin Australia flights to and from New Zealand until 22 March 2020 and expect to then reduce services.

We understand these restrictions may affect guests’ travel plans. Virgin Australia guests with bookings to New Zealand from now until 30 June 2020, who no longer want to travel, have the option to change their flight to a later date and/or to a different destination, without incurring a change fee. They are also eligible to receive credit to a Travel Bank with no cancellation fee.
Flexibility for Domestic and International BookingsVirgin Australia guests with new or existing bookings for travel between 15 March through to 30 June 2020 have the option to change their flight to a later date and/or to a different destination, without incurring a change fee.

Please note:
  • Guests will still be required to pay any fare difference or applicable taxes should the same booking class/fare not be available on the date they wish to rebook.
  • Maximum two changes per international booking.
  • Maximum one change per domestic booking.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Australia has just announced the same 14 day isolation policy from midnight tonight! Would expect most Tasman flights to be canceled soon, so might just get you an refund back to your purchases credit card.
That raises an interesting question. If I have to cancel travel paid for by credit card because of the virus and the ticket was on a non-refundable basis, will the credit card process a credit on that basis?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RTWFF
That raises an interesting question. If I have to cancel travel paid for by credit card because of the virus and the ticket was on a non-refundable basis, will the credit card process a credit on that basis?
A credit card will process whatever the merchant pushes to it. Your bank doesn't know or care about fare rules.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I have a DUD-BNE-MEL booking for this Wednesday that is now not going to be utilised....is the only option to provide a date for a new flight? I'd much rather a travel credit/refund....it sounds like it would take up a lot of call centre time to try work out a new itinary for everyone?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:25 pm

Wouldn't the easiest option be for VA to cancel all international bookings for the rest of the month, provide an refund to payment method.

Then get people to re-book if they still wish to travel.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Wouldn't the easiest option be for VA to cancel all international bookings for the rest of the month, provide an refund to payment method.
That would be a serious outflow of cash, why would they do that? They are probably barely staying above water as it is. Some people really do need to travel.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
I had a trip departing tomorrow AM to cancel for work. We do not use Concur but book individually.

I was advised by company email this morning that I would have to call Virgin myself because they couldn't cancel it on my behalf. I called the number and I got a message saying they were not receiving calls. NBD so went on-line to cancel. I had to jump through the hoops with that Travel Bank nonsense that they use to make it unnecessarily complicated. Anyway when all is said and done it still applied a cancellation fee.

I'll get it settled after all of this dies down but was somewhat annoyed that the cancellation fee was taken out. Seeking a refund wasn't worth it because I will definitely use the travel bank, most likely sooner than later.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
I have a DUD-BNE-MEL booking for this Wednesday that is now not going to be utilised....is the only option to provide a date for a new flight? I'd much rather a travel credit/refund....it sounds like it would take up a lot of call centre time to try work out a new itinary for everyone?
I have reached out via Facebook messenger (ca not connect to the call centre from NZ) so will update once I have a response.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
(ca not connect to the call centre from NZ)
Due to government isolation restrictions, VA's main call centre in Manila is closed. All calls are apparently being handled by the much smaller Australian call centre.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:03 am

I have reached out via Facebook messenger (ca not connect to the call centre from NZ) so will update once I have a response.
I had a response approx 12 hrs later and they apologised for the delay and said it was put "in a queue to manage with priority".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.