Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA applies to the IASC for BNE-HND (Tokyo-Haneda)

VA applies to the IASC for BNE-HND (Tokyo-Haneda)

Old Sep 28, 19, 11:14 pm
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,318
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I suspect when there is no or little demand for the slot. Perhaps NRT demand has fallen away.
The slot being discussed is at HND. I don't think HND slot demand is low.
You are correct - is was thinking about some shenanigans between DL and AA some years ago.
serfty is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:54 am
  #17  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BNE
Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Posts: 2,049
Flew out of HND last month and loved the experience, the monorail made for a smooth trip from downtown (albeit pricy) and the passenger facilities were good, I can see why people would prefer it, although in my case not if itís a night flight both ways.
markis10 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:07 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Looks like VA was successful in getting approval.
AdelaideAce is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:49 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,436
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce View Post
Looks like VA was successful in getting approval.
From https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ne-step-closer

Virgin Australiaís planned launch of non-stop Brisbane-Tokyo flights is one step closer, with Australiaís International Air Services Commission (IASC) announcing its intention to grant Virgin daily direct flights to Haneda Airport.

This follows an earlier application from Virgin Australia which would see the airline kick-start daily non-stop service between Brisbane and Haneda from March 29 2020.

The IASCís Ďdraft determinationí Ė which, by nature, is not a final sign-off Ė also seeks to provide Qantas with one additional daily return service to Haneda, as Qantas already has daily Sydney-Haneda flights.

With the rights for two daily return flights up for grabs, Qantas had previously applied for both, and planned to use them for Sydney-Haneda and Melbourne-Haneda flights: but, with the draft determination giving Qantas one daily return service only, Qantas would need to decide which route would get priority.
<snip>
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:50 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,527
Very excited about this. AU-JP direct has very little competition at the moment.
AdelaideAce likes this.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:49 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Official confirmation that VA will start the BNE-HAN route on March 29th
CPMaverick likes this.
AdelaideAce is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 9:26 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,149
Exciting news but disappointing that this is coming at the cost of MEL-HKG.
Isochronous is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:19 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 1,790
I can't say as I'm surprised that HKG got sunk, considering the ongoing difficulties. It's a pity that this breaks the Virgin-Virgin connection, though...
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:26 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
I can't say as I'm surprised that HKG got sunk, considering the ongoing difficulties. It's a pity that this breaks the Virgin-Virgin connection, though...
SYD-HKG still operating as normal.
Only MEL-HKG has been cut which is a pity as for those that live elsewhere in AU we have to put up with the horrid SYD Dom to Int transfer. MEL is such a better airport for transit IMO. We have used VA MEL-HKG several times and their J product is absolutely top notch and one of my favourites so I will definitely look at BNE-HND for the future
CPMaverick likes this.
AdelaideAce is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:55 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,527
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce View Post
SYD-HKG still operating as normal.
Only MEL-HKG has been cut which is a pity as for those that live elsewhere in AU we have to put up with the horrid SYD Dom to Int transfer. MEL is such a better airport for transit IMO. We have used VA MEL-HKG several times and their J product is absolutely top notch and one of my favourites so I will definitely look at BNE-HND for the future
Indeed, even for those not based in MEL (like HBA, ADL), the MEL-HKG flight was a great option. But I'd rather VA add a destination even if it means losing a direct from MEL.

Unfortunately BNE connections aren't much better than SYD. Why Australia has two major airports with pathetic D->I connections, I don't understand
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:00 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Indeed, even for those not based in MEL (like HBA, ADL), the MEL-HKG flight was a great option. But I'd rather VA add a destination even if it means losing a direct from MEL.

Unfortunately BNE connections aren't much better than SYD. Why Australia has two major airports with pathetic D->I connections, I don't understand
Yes, being ADL based makes it difficult sometimes. Hopefully the VA partnership with NH opens up some more AU options also. I havenít tried NH but have heard mixed reviews and Iíd still like to try them out and hope their award flights are bookable with VA points
AdelaideAce is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:55 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,527
I've always had great experiences with NH. I hope they become full partners with VA.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:19 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 1,790
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce View Post
SYD-HKG still operating as normal.
Only MEL-HKG has been cut which is a pity as for those that live elsewhere in AU we have to put up with the horrid SYD Dom to Int transfer. MEL is such a better airport for transit IMO. We have used VA MEL-HKG several times and their J product is absolutely top notch and one of my favourites so I will definitely look at BNE-HND for the future
Noting the lousy transfers at SYD and BNE, I still suspect this has at least something to do with HKG not being well-set to support two flights per day at the moment. Still, I'm glad to hear that connection isn't totally broken.
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:47 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Noting the lousy transfers at SYD and BNE, I still suspect this has at least something to do with HKG not being well-set to support two flights per day at the moment. Still, I'm glad to hear that connection isn't totally broken.
Doesnít help that VA donít have enough A330ís and with the new BNE-HND needing one they probably didnít want to pull one from their domestic routes. Iíd guess the MEL-HKG route got the chop as it wasnít doing aswell as the SYD-HKG route.
VAís trans continent A330 flights are marvellous so Iím glad they didnít pull any from service
CPMaverick likes this.
AdelaideAce is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread