Search

Economy X booking from partner award

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Economy X booking from partner award

Hi -

Booked on BNE-NAN round trip economy award using DL and Virgin Atlantic miles. I called in with Virgin Australia PNRs to select seats- agent told me that it wasn't possible to buy up to Economy X until airport check in? Can anybody confirm this? Is it possible to snag economy X seats beforehand? I have status with DL but that didn't seem to matter.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Unfortunately unless it is a VA ticket I don't believe VA has a way to sell EconomyX until the flight is under airport control.

The ticketing agent has to sell the EconomyX seating, and DL/VS don't have a mechanism to do so. It's a systems issue; status won't help.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 11, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately unless it is a VA ticket I don't believe VA has a way to sell EconomyX until the flight is under airport control.

The ticketing agent has to sell the EconomyX seating, and DL/VS don't have a mechanism to do so. It's a systems issue; status won't help.
If you're Platinum, I think you can do it. There is nothing to "sell" as it's free for short-haul.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
If you're Platinum, I think you can do it. There is nothing to "sell" as it's free for short-haul.
As a VA Platinum it still gets booked as a sale for $0 if you do it on a VA ticket. You even get an email receipt.

So, I don't believe you are correct, as I said if it isn't a VA ticket the EconomyX 'purchase' system fails and even free seats are purchased for $0. Perhaps a VA agent could force it through if the price is $0, but the OP doesn't appear to have VA status so it's kind of irrelevant to the initial question.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
As a VA Platinum it still gets booked as a sale for $0 if you do it on a VA ticket. You even get an email receipt.

So, I don't believe you are correct, as I said if it isn't a VA ticket the EconomyX 'purchase' system fails and even free seats are purchased for $0. Perhaps a VA agent could force it through if the price is $0, but the OP doesn't appear to have VA status so it's kind of irrelevant to the initial question.
They can seat Platinums in Economy X even on a partner ticket or flight number as I've done it when booked on a NZ/VA codeshare last year.

The issue comes down to VA being unable to accept cash payment for a seating request on a partner ticket. It has to be paid to the partner but they have no way of seeing the paid seating (they're displayed as occupied by other airlines).

In the past, VA (over the phone) could select the seat which would then create an outstanding balance in the booking however unless this is paid in 24-48 hours? (can't remember exact time) then the seat selection will drop out. Obviously Platinum's don't have this issue cause there is no outstanding balance.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Thanks for these comments..hopefully I'll get it sorted at the desk at check in in Nadi (not holding my breath, though)

I am a DL platinum so I don't think that helps things here.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

Thanks @henrus, good to know.

Originally Posted by nw6338
I am a DL platinum so I don't think that helps things here.
DL Platinum is 'Partner Gold' and receives VA Gold benefits, so unfortunately you are correct, it won't help.

DL Diamond is 'Partner Platinum' and should receive VA Platinum benefits, although last time I was DL Diamond it was before EconomyX existed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.