Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Delta/Virgin Australia Codeshare Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Looking at booking TPA-ATL-LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX-ATL-TPA. Started searching premium economy options via Google Flights and found some preferred flights and was routed to Virgin Australia site for the booking. LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX are both on VA and I am able to select premium economy seats on the VA site. Flights from Tampa to/from LAX are all on Delta. Google flights indicated that these flights are in premium economy but Delta does not offer premium economy on these domestic routes. I cannot book Delta seat assignments through VA site so will have to go through Delta to do this once tickets are purchased. Does anyone have experience with a similar codeshare booking? Will I end up with Comfort+ seats on Delta or economy? Is there any chance I end up with Basic Economy (which can't be upgraded)? TIA
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Is the booking class W?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Call VA, get the DL PNR. Then pull up the itinerary on delta.com and all will be revealed.

Chances of it booking into basic economy are nil.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:36 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Any word on If and how the VA DL joint venture would continue??
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Delta, Virgin Australia pause Joint Venture partnership

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Any word on If and how the VA DL joint venture would continue??
Yes; "The close alliance between Delta and Virgin Australia will be shelved until Virgin Australia returns to Los Angeles."

Originally Posted by Executive Traveller
Virgin Australia’s Joint Venture relationship with Delta Air Lines is being put on ice, following Virgin’s decision to halt its Los Angeles flights and retire its Boeing 777 fleet.

While the Joint Venture (JV) remains paused, the airlines will continue codesharing on each other’s flights: but returning to a full commercial partnership would only be possible if Virgin Australia returned to Los Angeles.

For that, Virgin would need to order a new type of aircraft, such as the Boeing 787, to replace the Boeing 777s exiting its fleet.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Here is TPG’s report: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...-restructures/
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes; "The close alliance between Delta and Virgin Australia will be shelved until Virgin Australia returns to Los Angeles."
I know these aren't your words, but they are not very well-chosen.

The joint venture is being shelved. That had to happen, because if VA isn't flying TPAC, a joint venture is impossible.

But codesharing, FF partnerships, reciprocal lounge access, etc are all still intact. The relationship is as close as it can be, with VA returning to a domestic carrier for the time being.

IMO, there is still a close alliance, in every possible way.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
IMO, there is still a close alliance, in every possible way.
Velocity members currently cannot redeem their miles on DL flights, and that doesn't look like it will be coming back any time soon. And this is not just because of the Australian exit ban.

Until it's less one-sided, I would disagree that it's close in every possible way!
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Velocity members currently cannot redeem their miles on DL flights, and that doesn't look like it will be coming back any time soon. And this is not just because of the Australian exit ban.

Until it's less one-sided, I would disagree that it's close in every possible way!
That's due to VA bankruptcy. No VA partner redemptions are allowed, so it's not a DL specific thing, or a change to the DL partnership specifically. When redemptions resume, DL will be included. It's just not possible now, so yes, in every possible way it is still close Redemptions and VA lounge access are the two things that have changed, but neither loss is specific to DL.

I'm flying DL in the US at the moment and all VA benefits are the same as always...

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 10, 2020 at 10:46 pm
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
https://onemileatatime.com/virgin-au...rsial-new-ceo/ - with Scurrah's departure (which I suppose was imminent), wonder what happens to the DL/VA relationship...? I doubt we will see VA flying BNE-LAX-BNE anytime soon.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
https://onemileatatime.com/virgin-au...rsial-new-ceo/ - with Scurrah's departure (which I suppose was imminent), wonder what happens to the DL/VA relationship...? I doubt we will see VA flying BNE-LAX-BNE anytime soon.
With the VA administration and limitations/low demand due to Covid-19 VA was never going to fly AU<---->USA "any time soon". The B777's are gone, so no aircraft that could fly the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.