FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Australia | Velocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity-682/)
-   -   Swiping Velocity Card at BP Service Stations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity/1961054-swiping-velocity-card-bp-service-stations.html)

cssaus Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Swiping Velocity Card at BP Service Stations

I'm curious to know if others are having the same issue that I have been encountering when swiping my combined Velocity/Global Wallet card at BP service stations.

I consistently run into the issue where when swiping the Velocity card side to get the points for fuel purchases, the card isn't registering but seems to have somehow accessed the Global Wallet side and attempts to deduct the cost of the fuel. As my Global Wallet card presently does not have any value stored on it, the transaction gets declined.

Is it possible to have a 2nd Velocity Card to use for swiping that does not come as a combines Global Wallet Card but yet still retain a separate Global Wallet Card for the purpose of being used a VISA debit card?

CPMaverick Mar 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Do you have an old Velocity card before you got Global Wallet? That would work, an expired card works fine.

I don't bother with Global Wallet but I would think if you requested a 'normal' card from Velocity they could send you one. I'd call them.

serfty Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Any old red velocity card works.

Since, 1) I cannot see to point in Global Wallet other than lining the pockets of others & 2) I was initially denied access to a Delta Sky Club since my 'Visa Card' did not come with lounge access rights, I disabled the feature and my Velocity card comes Global Wallet Visa free.

Nugget_Oz Mar 17, 2019 4:40 pm

There's only one mag strip on the velocity card/global wallet though. I must admit I've never had that problem though.

Must...Fly! Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm

It might be the contactless chip registering on the terminal.

angelalovestotravel Apr 7, 2019 11:30 pm

Apparently the trick is to swipe (with the strip facing towards the touch pad) from the bottom up, not the top down - I was told it's a weird quirk with their EFT terminals and when you swipe from the top down the machine tries to read the prepaid Visa card.

cssaus Apr 7, 2019 11:43 pm

Usually the EFT terminal is facing you in order that you can read the screen when it comes to entering a PIN. Swiping up is a little awkward at times but I found if I hand the card to the cashier and let him swipe it, he's actually swiping it downwards towards him which is upwards for me facing the EFT terminal.

To avoid the problem for the future when I have to reload my Global Wallet card and don't want to accidentally try and pay for the purchase when swiping my velocity card, I opted out of Global Wallet and then received a regular Velocity Card. Once I received this card I then opted back in and I'm just waiting for the new combined card to arrive. That was the advice I was given by someone at Velocity!