FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Australia | Velocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity-682/)
-   -   With Qantas flying SYD/NAN from 31 March [effect on VA fares] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity/1952478-qantas-flying-syd-nan-31-march-effect-va-fares.html)

OZFLYER86 Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm

With Qantas flying SYD/NAN from 31 March [effect on VA fares]

surely this will put downward pressure on both Virgin & Fiji Airways fares, although these 2 airlines have A330s on route (Virgin once a week & Fiji Airways twice a day), so choice out of Syd

1) Jetstar (about 4 days a week) on A320

2) Qantas about same on old B737

3) Virgin daily on old B737 & 1/week A330 in peak periods

4) Fiji Airways up to 3 flights daily (1 or 2 x A330 & balance by B737 max)

Qantas will never try to be cheapest, but something has to give. Who will lose out ?

As far as I know, the only one who offers through fares to many parts of the south Pacific , Hawaii + LAX & SFO is Fiji Airways, so they have some advantage there.

CPMaverick Jan 23, 2019 1:15 am

You'd think VA and QF would be the most competitive with each other. FJ gets more locals and onward connecting traffic ex-NAN. JQ gets the cheap tourists. QF and VA fight for premium O/D pax, and connections ex-SYD.

Still, I am not sure their fight will drop fares. QF doesn't want to compete with JQ, so they are unlikely to drop fares into JQ range. And VA will only drop fares enough to stay competitive with QF. It may mean better pricing and award availability in J, and slightly lower Y fares (but not much).

markis10 Jan 23, 2019 4:00 am

One could say QF and VA have the advantage for fares to LAX, given they fly direct ;), and both have newish 737s with Sky interior, as well as WiFi.

Plane Crazy Feb 7, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi, I know a bit off topic but I'm looking at flying Virgin MEL-NAN, returning on the same plane on the same day NAN-MEL. You can't book this as one ticket, I assume due to minimum connection time (first flight arrives 3.10pm, returning flight leaves Fiji at 4.35pm). Is there any issues if I book two one ways? Will VA be able to print both boarding passes in MEL and can I stay airside at NAN? Just contemplating a status run and want to sample the A330 product in both directions.

Thanks!

OZFLYER86 Feb 8, 2019 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Plane Crazy (Post 30751576)
Hi, I know a bit off topic but I'm looking at flying Virgin MEL-NAN, returning on the same plane on the same day NAN-MEL. You can't book this as one ticket, I assume due to minimum connection time (first flight arrives 3.10pm, returning flight leaves Fiji at 4.35pm). Is there any issues if I book two one ways? Will VA be able to print both boarding passes in MEL and can I stay airside at NAN? Just contemplating a status run and want to sample the A330 product in both directions.

Thanks!

think the VA A330 only operates to Fiji once a week in peak season & no don't think this would work.

CPMaverick Feb 8, 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30752891)
no don't think this would work.

Why not? What am I missing?

Seems OK to me. Certainly you won't miss your connection, as it requires the inbound plane to depart. If you have no checked baggage (and why would you), it should be straightforward. You might even be able to get your return BP printed in Melbourne.

OZFLYER86 Feb 8, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 30752902)
Why not? What am I missing?

Seems OK to me. Certainly you won't miss your connection, as it requires the inbound plane to depart. If you have no checked baggage (and why would you), it should be straightforward. You might even be able to get your return BP printed in Melbourne.

You'll confuse the .... out of the Fijians. They might even think you are doing a drug run & arrest you & throw you in a Fijian jail cell until sorted out.

CPMaverick Feb 8, 2019 12:57 am

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30752957)
You'll confuse the .... out of the Fijians. They might even think you are doing a drug run & arrest you & throw you in a Fijian jail cell until sorted out.

Wow, ok. Is there a precedent for that? Sounds pretty outlandish.

If you arrive at the airport with an onward ticket, I don't see what will be confusing about it. You don't need to explain that you just arrived from MEL, all you need to show is your onward ticket to MEL.

NAN has an international transit lounge, so there is no requirement to enter Fiji. I'd simply follow the international transit signs, go through security (I think?), and go to my gate.

If you can't get your return ticket at MEL or with OLCI, then I can see it being problematic, it's worth checking to see if VA have a check-in agent in the secure area I guess. But with a ticket, should be easy.

Plane Crazy Feb 8, 2019 2:53 am

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30752957)

That would make quite the Banged Up Abroad episode...

OZFLYER86 Feb 8, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 30752974)
Wow, ok. Is there a precedent for that? Sounds pretty outlandish.

If you arrive at the airport with an onward ticket, I don't see what will be confusing about it. You don't need to explain that you just arrived from MEL, all you need to show is your onward ticket to MEL.

NAN has an international transit lounge, so there is no requirement to enter Fiji. I'd simply follow the international transit signs, go through security (I think?), and go to my gate.

If you can't get your return ticket at MEL or with OLCI, then I can see it being problematic, it's worth checking to see if VA have a check-in agent in the secure area I guess. But with a ticket, should be easy.

soounds like you haven't been to NAN. Signs to int transit lounge ? Security ?

CPMaverick Feb 8, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30753568)
soounds like you haven't been to NAN. Signs to int transit lounge ? Security ?

Which NAN have you been to?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c5ada5927b.jpg

Airports Fiji Limited - Nadi Transit

Nadi Airport has a transit lounge that caters for travelers cris-crossing the South Pacific ocean

If your transit time exceeds six (6) hours, you will be required to exit Immigration and Customs and enter Fiji, any flight transit time less than six (6) hours allows you to transit within the Nadi Airport Transit Lounge.

Transit passengers are to note that LAG's screening will be carried out during the transit process. There are restrictions on LAG's (Liquids, Aerosols and Gels).

OZFLYER86 Feb 8, 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 30755642)

it's one big transit lounge !!!!

You don't go through security if changing from international to international flights, unless you leave the airport. NOTE: Many people flying from eg. Brisbane to LAX or SFO same day, will have a 4-5 hour connect & many go across road to a hotel to escape the airport. Some even trek as far as Denarau Island(not really an island, just a bridge over the river), but you might end up with less than 2 hours there.

If you are on the one ticket eg. BNE/LAX, you will get both boarding passes at BNE check in, so you could return to airport as little as 45 mins before onward flight departure.

CPMaverick Feb 9, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30756283)
You don't go through security if changing from international to international flights, unless you leave the airport.

The website (at the link I already posted and quoted) says otherwise.

I haven't done an I->I connection at NAN, and I did put a ? next to screening because I wasn't sure. But their official website says there is security screening in transit, even if you don't enter Fiji.

OZFLYER86 Feb 9, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 30758876)
The website (at the link I already posted and quoted) says otherwise.

I haven't done an I->I connection at NAN, and I did put a ? next to screening because I wasn't sure. But their official website says there is security screening in transit, even if you don't enter Fiji.

transiting in NAN few dozen times in last decade from both SYD & BNE going to LAX & SFO.

There is very basic bag check, just before you enter the aircraft, but it very quick & no xrays or metl detectors, just a quick look inside any carry on bags.

When you land in NAN, there's usually someone saying

"going to USA this way"

but if you do you get stuck in transit. Many people especially on arriving BNE flights with 4 hours plus, enter Fiji & go across the rd. to a hotel, have a swim etc. Some get a room etc. before heading back to airport.

Plane Crazy Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ended up finding a SYD-MEL (Friday evening), MEL-NAN (Saturday), NAN-MEL-SYD (Sunday), in business saver for $1,220 return. Flying A330 on the Saturday leg and decided to put up with the B737 on the return to avoid any potential issues! Booked just in time for the DSC.