Is VA 23 often late or cancelled ?

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Is VA 23 often late or cancelled ?

VA23 is scheduled to arrive in LAX at 09:00
Is it often late or cancelled ?
I am looking at purchasing a same day flight to SLC on delta and want to know a safe "cushion" time
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Obviously you can look for 3 months of history free at sites like Flight Aware... at a glance historical performance doesn't look terrible. Customs is of course less predictable, as I'm not sure you would have Global Entry, or fly carry-on.

Given Delta flies the route 5x, why not buy a later ticket (1.25pm) and standby early if you can?
Not sure if DL allows you to do a same-day "fly later" option, which you could do on the VA wifi if things get tight vs the 11.40am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
No I don't believe it is often late, and definitely not often canceled. If it is canceled, I don't think it will matter which flight you get anyway?

If on the same ticket, 2-2.5 hours gives a reasonable buffer time for a flight connection after international arrival at LAX. This assumes the worst. If you are not checking a bag, or have Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, etc, then you can carve some time off this.

If you are buying separate tickets, I would give yourself 3-3.5 hours to be comfortably safe, as if you miss that second flight you may not have a recourse. But of course as I said, depending on your situation you could shorten that.

I just landed on VA1 last week and was at the gate for a (separate) AA ticket 20 minutes after I landed. But this is unusual, I have GE, was travelling with a carry-on only, and reached the T4 security from TBIT right as it opened.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuuy
Obviously you can look for 3 months of history free at sites like Flight Aware... at a glance historical performance doesn't look terrible. Customs is of course less predictable, as I'm not sure you would have Global Entry, or fly carry-on.

Given Delta flies the route 5x, why not buy a later ticket (1.25pm) and standby early if you can?
Not sure if DL allows you to do a same-day "fly later" option, which you could do on the VA wifi if things get tight vs the 11.40am
thanks I was unaware of flight aware but now that I am aware of flight aware I will use it
I am not aware of "fly later ' either but I will buy the first class ticket and ask about it at the airport
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
No I don't believe it is often late, and definitely not often canceled. If it is canceled, I don't think it will matter which flight you get anyway?

If on the same ticket, 2-2.5 hours gives a reasonable buffer time for a flight connection after international arrival at LAX. This assumes the worst. If you are not checking a bag, or have Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, etc, then you can carve some time off this.

If you are buying separate tickets, I would give yourself 3-3.5 hours to be comfortably safe, as if you miss that second flight you may not have a recourse. But of course as I said, depending on your situation you could shorten that.

I just landed on VA1 last week and was at the gate for a (separate) AA ticket 20 minutes after I landed. But this is unusual, I have GE, was travelling with a carry-on only, and reached the T4 security from TBIT right as it opened.
no GE but I will allow 4+ hrs to be safe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.