Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Plat seating benefits long haul international?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold

Looking at flying Syd-Hkg-LHR end June/start July, then return after around 16 days UK and 5-6 days HK (or potentially Singapore). 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 11).

I'm used to enjoying the front bulkhead when I fly domestically or short haul as Plat. Can I do this on long haul Virgin flights (ie via HK/LAX)? If not, I may as well choose Singapore for a better stopover, slightly cheaper and possibly (?) better flight.

Also - what are the differences between getaway vs escape vs freedom on international dares? domestically more status credits and opportunity to upgrade, but presume this is not so relevant for long haul?Some dates there is minimal difference to go up to Freedom, bu still 4 x people x all legs would add up a bit, other days the difference is significant, several hundred $.

Thanks for any clarification

Last edited by morepointsplease; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:31 am Reason: changes
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
Looking at flying Syd-Hkg-LHR end June/start July, then return after around 16 days UK and 5-6 days HK (or potentially Singapore). 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 11).

I'm used to enjoying the front bulkhead when I fly domestically or short haul as Plat. Can I do this on long haul Virgin flights (ie via HK/LAX)?
I'm not sure about VS (Virgin Atlantic). But on VA there is not an option to get a bulkhead for free. You must purchase EconomyX. Status doesn't help in this case, unlike domestic flights Plats must pay for EconomyX. For the non-EconomyX seating, you can get 'preferred' seats but these are just seats closer to the front, they don't offer any other benefit.

Also - what are the differences between getaway vs escape vs freedom on international dares? domestically more status credits and opportunity to upgrade, but presume this is not so relevant for long haul?
Not sure why you presume that, but it's pretty much the same system. All the details regarding points and SC earning are on the website. Upgrading is only possible with points and on a freedom fare.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
thanks!
so no real reason to choose VA for seating choice.
Only reason would be if chance of upgrading any of the legs. Is there any way to see likelihood 6 months before or is it only confirmed a day or so before flying?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:50 pm

thanks!
so no real reason to choose VA for seating choice.
Only reason would be if chance of upgrading any of the legs. Is there any way to see likelihood 6 months before or is it only confirmed a day or so before flying?
If you want to upgrade on VA with points, you can do so anytime, if upgrade inventory is available.

Upgrades come from the same inventory as awards. So if there is a business class saver award seat available, there is space for immediate upgrade.

Keep in mind the VA flight only gets you to HKG. I have no experience with VS who will operate the longer flight.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you want to upgrade on VA with points, you can do so anytime, if upgrade inventory is available.

Upgrades come from the same inventory as awards. So if there is a business class saver award seat available, there is space for immediate upgrade.

Keep in mind the VA flight only gets you to HKG. I have no experience with VS who will operate the longer flight.
Thanks for that. there is no business saver award, only normal business award. Does that mean no chance?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Thanks for that. there is no business saver award, only normal business award. Does that mean no chance?
Sorry my terminology was wrong. In the initial results, there are only two options. A 'Business Reward' and an 'Any Seat Business'. It's the 'Business Reward', on the left in the search results (costing ~59.5k points+ fees or ~83k without fees), that will be the same as upgrade inventory.

If it isn't available, it doesn't mean there is no chance. It just means no confirmed space available at the moment (it does not mean business class is sold out). You can waitlist a points upgrade, and seats can open up anytime.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - it does mean it's much less worth paying extra to fly on VA vs Singapore.
I can't see any real benefit if can't get preferred (economy x) seating, and highly unlikely 4 x upgrades will come free anytime soon
So that's helped my decision
A pity though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.