FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Australia | Velocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity-682/)
-   -   Carry on baggage limit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity/1949717-carry-baggage-limit.html)

Jethro123 Jan 7, 2019 1:42 pm

Carry on baggage limit

I'm flying business class, from Queenstown (New Zealand) to Brisbane, connecting there to a flight to Mackay. While older threads here indicate Virgin Australia hasn't enforced the 7 kg carry on limit, there have been a couple of articles in the press that indicate they are now. I can stay under the 7 kg limit by taking out my heavy duty laptop and carrying it separately, and cramming the battery pack in my jacket. Is this something that would likely past muster? Also, do they weigh at check in or at the gate?

I haven't booked Mackay to Perth and Perth to Melbourne, but I guess my best bet is to fly Qantas, who have a 14 kg limit.

Thanks in advance.

Nugget_Oz Jan 7, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jethro123 (Post 30623693)
I'm flying business class, from Queenstown (New Zealand) to Brisbane, connecting there to a flight to Mackay. While older threads here indicate Virgin Australia hasn't enforced the 7 kg carry on limit, there have been a couple of articles in the press that indicate they are now. I can stay under the 7 kg limit by taking out my heavy duty laptop and carrying it separately, and cramming the battery pack in my jacket. Is this something that would likely past muster? Also, do they weigh at check in or at the gate?

I haven't booked Mackay to Perth and Perth to Melbourne, but I guess my best bet is to fly Qantas, who have a 14 kg limit.

Thanks in advance.

I've travelled recently on VA internationally and they weighed the carryon at checkin but not the gate. It was an Osprey which had a detachable backback so they let it go on the basis that whilst together it was over the limit it could be separated to fit within the limit. It is 7 kg per item.

CPMaverick Jan 7, 2019 4:14 pm

The 7kg limit is the combined weight of both bags (if you have two), but it excludes 'personal items' - laptops fall under that category. So if they do weigh your carry-on, you can take the laptop out. I've seen them weight at check-in and ask if there is a laptop inside, so I think the agents know about this rule.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ry-on-baggage/

In addition to the carry-on baggage allowance, one of the following personal items may be carried in the cabin:
  • A laptop computer*, handbag, pocketbook or purse (of reasonable size)
  • A wrap, a blanket, or an overcoat
  • An umbrella or a walking stick
  • A small camera or pair of binoculars
  • A reasonable amount of reading matter
  • A pair of crutches or prosthetic devices – for use, provided that the guest is dependent on them for mobility
*A laptop in thin satchel-style laptop bag is considered to be a personal item. A laptop in a larger laptop bag will be counted as part of a guest’s carry-on allowance.

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz (Post 30624328)
It is 7 kg per item.

Domestically and short haul international it is 7kg in total, not per item. It's not totally clear if that translates to long-haul international. I think you got lucky.

RTWFF Jan 7, 2019 10:52 pm

If there is an actual weighing check then it is at the gate; almost anyone can get someone else to hold a bag for them so it doesn't appear at check-in. I've seen VA check at the gate occasionally (not recently); I was very entertained taking a domestic flight with Qantas in the past few weeks (after their announcement) to see the weighing antics at the gate, and the number of Gold/Platinums in the priority queue sent to the Naughty Corner because their carry-one exceeded the 7kg weight

Jethro123 Jan 8, 2019 7:02 pm

OK, I just presented myself at the Virgin Australia counter in Queenstown. As described above, I'd removed my charger and stuffed it in my pocket but left the laptop in the bag, figuring I'd just take it out if the agent had a problem with weight. She did weigh the bag, and when it came out at 9 kg was adamant that the 7 kg allowance included my laptop. Having read CPMaverick's post, I was equally adamant it did not. She finally asked her colleague who indicated she thought I was right and they let me take my bag, which weighed out at 5.5 kg.

Lesson learned.. I just found CPMaverick's info on the Virgin web site and did a screen shot so next time I'll be prepared. And anytime I show up at a check in counter or a gate the laptop will already be removed from the bag. I actually read they have been known to weigh at their lounges too. Reading what RTWFF wrote about the golds and the platinums, I wonder if what they're doing is counterproductive. They may chase some of their best customers off to Qantas. And does this even really help their revenues? If it happens mainly at check in, presumably the customer would just offload into checked baggage.

CPMaverick Jan 8, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you and you were able to educate an agent on the policy. :) As someone who carries a heavy laptop & charger, it really is unreasonable to have it count towards the carry-on limit (if they insist on making it a paltry 7 kg combined).

Gosh I wish VA would just make it 10kg and include personal items in that list, it would make everyone's life easier.

Jethro123 Jan 9, 2019 3:13 am

I really appreciate your first post CPMaverick. I would be royally screwed if I’d been forced to check the bag and it had never arrived.

I have a Rufus Roo vest specifically made for this kind of situation but forgot to bring it on this trip so am using a jacket instead to stash my charger. I imagine I’ll look pretty stupid next week in the line in Mackay wearing a down jacket

Blinkybill Jan 9, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jethro123 (Post 30629875)
OK, I just presented myself at the Virgin Australia counter in Queenstown. As described above, I'd removed my charger and stuffed it in my pocket but left the laptop in the bag, figuring I'd just take it out if the agent had a problem with weight. She did weigh the bag, and when it came out at 9 kg was adamant that the 7 kg allowance included my laptop. Having read CPMaverick's post, I was equally adamant it did not. She finally asked her colleague who indicated she thought I was right and they let me take my bag, which weighed out at 5.5 kg.

Lesson learned.. I just found CPMaverick's info on the Virgin web site and did a screen shot so next time I'll be prepared. And anytime I show up at a check in counter or a gate the laptop will already be removed from the bag. I actually read they have been known to weigh at their lounges too. Reading what RTWFF wrote about the golds and the platinums, I wonder if what they're doing is counterproductive. They may chase some of their best customers off to Qantas. And does this even really help their revenues? If it happens mainly at check in, presumably the customer would just offload into checked baggage.

I’m in Mackay as we speak!

if you are faced with this again, do what I do and get a small satchel (laptop bags don’t work). I put my laptop in it together with paperwork I need and sometimes my iPad as well. I carry it in my hand or under my arm.

This won’t work with Jetstar, which insists on weighing everything, including small handbags.

datexan Jan 12, 2019 8:06 pm

As a VA plat, I can usually get away with a bit more. I appreciate the frustration with having to manipulate the system. The real issue is not weight so much as volume. How many times do you see plastic shopping bags and oversized expanders shoved into the forward overheads and no one seated before row 10?

flumoxed Feb 2, 2019 12:59 pm

Have they been bothering to weigh backpacks recently? Do they weigh in at check-in or at the gate?

Mine will probably be slightly overweight. I could probably play games moving my laptop as a "hand-carry", but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

vbroucek Feb 3, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by flumoxed (Post 30731965)
Have they been bothering to weigh backpacks recently? Do they weigh in at check-in or at the gate?

Mine will probably be slightly overweight. I could probably play games moving my laptop as a "hand-carry", but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, then stay inside of the limit :D

perthite Feb 3, 2019 6:25 pm

Probably worth noting that Virgin recently increased the carryon allowance for Business, Platinum and Gold to allow 2 small pieces up to 7Kg each.

flumoxed Feb 3, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 30735716)
If you don't want to go through the hassle, then stay inside of the limit :D

I am in the limit! Same weight gets on the plane no mattet how I shuffle items around. :D

Jerkstore Feb 6, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by perthite (Post 30736058)
Probably worth noting that Virgin recently increased the carryon allowance for Business, Platinum and Gold to allow 2 small pieces up to 7Kg each.

Holy hell yeah. I am bringing a checked bag along with a smaller duffle and my backpack on my solo 3 week trip to OZ/NZ. I was concerned on my flight to Queenstown that I would have to put the backpack in my duffle. Happy that will not be the case. Although I am anxious about my Qantas and Air NZ flights, although I am in business in Qantas.

Mwenenzi Feb 6, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerkstore (Post 30747032)
Holy hell yeah. I am bringing a checked bag along with a smaller duffle and my backpack on my solo 3 week trip to OZ/NZ. I was concerned on my flight to Queenstown that I would have to put the backpack in my duffle. Happy that will not be the case. Although I am anxious about my Qantas and Air NZ flights, although I am in business in Qantas.

Depending on how big/full/heavy looking the (small) backpack is, that may be classed as "personal item". In Au NZ allowable carry-on is a lot less than what is common in USA. The carry-on rules are enforced
For 3 weeks in Au NZ you do not need checked bag along with a smaller duffle & a (small) backpack. Just put the duffle items in the checked bag and leave it at home. Bring less stuff to haul around. With QF & VA a checked bag is part of the price.