carry on and checked bag question

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

carry on and checked bag question

Hello! I will be flying VA for the first time in a couple weeks as part of my first visit to Australia, and I have been reading up on the carry on and checked bag requirements, which seem to be much different from other airlines I've flown. I've never dealt with carry-on's being weighed, but my understanding is they are cracking down on this and enforcing the 7 kg limit for carry-ons separate from a laptop and/or small bag/purse?

With that in mind, we will have to include more than usual in our checked luggage, but I just noticed that the dimensions posted on the website are slightly smaller than the dimension requirements for any other airline I've flown. Are they also physically measuring the size of your checked luggage? The luggage we use for all of our international trips is slightly larger by about 4-5 inches than the 55 inch limit per the website, but I'd really like to avoid having to purchase new luggage just for one flight segment of a 3 week trip! I'd appreciate input if anyone has experience with having slightly oversize checked bags (but still within weight limit), basically are bags being measured and if so, what happens if the bag is slightly oversize? When I asked one of the phone agents, they were less than helpful and basically didn't have an answer. Thanks for any input! BTW we'll be flying out of Hamilton Island to Melbourne if that makes a difference in terms of airport procedures!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
There are reports of VA spot-checking carry-on baggage to check for the 7kg limit. This is not a comprehensive thing (I've never seen it), but it is possible. Other airlines like jetstar will weigh every carry-on. Virgin will not. So if your carry-on doesn't look heavy, you might be OK.

Also consider that the 7kg limit does not include a personal item, which can be a laptop, so if you have a heavy laptop that is OK.
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ry-on-baggage/

As for checked baggage, I have checked a 54 linear in bag before and never had it measured. Once they asked me if it was oversize, and I said no, and that was it. Not sure how much bigger your luggage is (the 54 in bag is something I carry for work, never on God's great earth would I choose to travel with anything that size, let alone bigger!).

The VA website says oversize bags may travel as long as they don't exceed 32kg, but to contact them before travel. Not sure what that means, but you may be able to take your big bag with a fee.
mercedeslt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:33 pm

I've never had mine weighed but I've generally flown business with VA. But I did a flight last year in economy and same thing - no weighing. I think the bulk think may be more of an issue though. If it looks big it might draw their attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.