Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Is 40K miles worth business class on Virgin Australia from PER to SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus

I was curious as to whether people thought spending 40,000 miles was worth a 1 way, business class ticket on Virgin Atlantic from Perth to Sydney. I'm flying to Australia next year and was looking at tickets and thought it might be nice to try VA's business class out and just wondered if it was worth the effort to spend my hard earned miles.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If on the 332 then probably yes.

It really depends on what you value 40K Virgin Atlantic miles at.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Just be aware that they often swap out the 332 for a 737 and the 2 seats are worlds apart.

If they do, complain until you get points back but in saying that, I wont do SYD-PER in Y, especially a 737.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's Virgin Australia (VA), not Virgin Atlantic (VS). Neither program uses 'miles'. So I assume you are talking about Delta Skymiles?

VA has quite a nice business class service either way, but as mentioned the A330 flights are miles better seating than the standard B737.

I personally wouldn't spend 40k DL Skymiles on this flight, as the A330 or B737 in economy are quite OK. But these questions never have an obvious answer. It depends how much you value your DL Skymiles, and how much you appreciate comfort, free booze, food, etc. The VA lounges are also quite nice... if you aren't Gold or above on DL, it would add value to the J award to get lounge access.

If you do decide to book the A330 (which is definitely a nice experience), keep in mind that VA can swap the aircraft for a B737 with little notice, and you won't be owed any Skymiles back if they do this (although you may be able to move your flight date or cancel with a full refund).

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 29, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's Virgin Australia (VA), not Virgin Atlantic (VS). Neither program uses 'miles'. So I assume you are talking about Delta Skymiles? ...
Ha! I didn't look at the OP's profile.

I just assumed "Virgin Atlantic" meant just that ...

Indeed it's likely SkyMiles ... doing a check, 40K SkyPesos and $20 is what comes up.

FWIW, the same trip on Qantas using AA miles costs 20K AAdvantage miles and $17
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by dereiziger
I was curious as to whether people thought spending 40,000 miles was worth a 1 way, business class ticket on Virgin Atlantic from Perth to Sydney. I'm flying to Australia next year and was looking at tickets and thought it might be nice to try VA's business class out and just wondered if it was worth the effort to spend my hard earned miles.
Perth to Sydney is about 2 hours shorter than Sydney to Perth due to the winds. If you're going to spend 40k miles one way, use the miles for SYD-PER on a weekday as on weekends it's the awful 737.

For PER-SYD the Y+ (Economy X) seats are fine
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Thanks for the replies. They've been quite helpful in my decision.

Yes, they are Delta SkyMiles (sorry i was not more clear about that).

I'll have to think about doing SYD-PER. I had planned to fly to MEL and then do a road trip to Adelaide and then fly to Perth. I want to go to Rottnest Island this time.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.