Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity Credit Card Rejection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:38 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Velocity Credit Card Rejection

Is there any way to ask Virgin Australia to influence acceptance of applications for the Velocity Credit Card? I've been rejected 3 times even though I have no obvious credit issues and I'm a Platinum Velocity FF. I even have a Coles card with Citi so they can see that I spend a reasonable amount and pay it off reliably (maybe they don't want me because of my reliable payment record).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I doubt it. Virgin Australia is not a bank or a creditor, and a couple steps removed from the credit card company (seeing as Velocity is even a separate company).

Which bank is it? I was rejected twice by Westpac, and I went down to an actual branch and they helped me out. Turns out I was rejected based on incorrect information in their system. I went from rejected to getting card with a $40k limit. Go figure.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I doubt it. Virgin Australia is not a bank or a creditor, and a couple steps removed from the credit card company (seeing as Velocity is even a separate company).

Which bank is it? I was rejected twice by Westpac, and I went down to an actual branch and they helped me out. Turns out I was rejected based on incorrect information in their system. I went from rejected to getting card with a $40k limit. Go figure.
Citibank. I have considered writing to them. This is my fallback.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:36 pm

That's interesting then if you are a current Citi customer. Perhaps they have a limit on cards issued per person? Otherwise, like you said they should know your credit very well.

It's possible that your limit on your Coles card is the maximum they will offer you, which leaves no room for another card. Perhaps you can ask to reduce that limit, then try again.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam
Is there any way to ask Virgin Australia to influence acceptance of applications for the Velocity Credit Card? I've been rejected 3 times even though I have no obvious credit issues and I'm a Platinum Velocity FF. I even have a Coles card with Citi so they can see that I spend a reasonable amount and pay it off reliably (maybe they don't want me because of my reliable payment record).
Virgin Australia and Velocity are separate company with separate ownership and management. (VA does not own Velocity).
The cc you are applying for (to get sign up points?) is just branding. And someone will be clipping the ticket for a small %.

If you have been rejected 3 times in recent times they will have a reason to reject. May not be valid or for what you consider important, but that is what it is. (Too much with citi?) Rejections may be recorded on your credit score
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/borrow.../credit-scores
https://www.canstar.com.au/credit-sc...credit-rating/
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:45 pm
sam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Virgin Australia and Velocity are separate company with separate ownership and management. (VA does not own Velocity).
The cc you are applying for (to get sign up points?) is just branding. And someone will be clipping the ticket for a small %.

If you have been rejected 3 times in recent times they will have a reason to reject. May not be valid or for what you consider important, but that is what it is. (Too much with citi?) Rejections may be recorded on your credit score
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/borrow.../credit-scores
https://www.canstar.com.au/credit-sc...credit-rating/
I am aware that the companies are separate, however, other airlines with similar co-branded credit cards have agreements with their credit card partners to ensure that premium frequent fliers are unlikely to be turned down.

I've checked my credit record and can't see any issues.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by sam
I am aware that the companies are separate, however, other airlines with similar co-branded credit cards have agreements with their credit card partners to ensure that premium frequent fliers are unlikely to be turned down.
They do? I've never heard of this, if you have any reference I'd be keen.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:54 pm
sam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
They do? I've never heard of this, if you have any reference I'd be keen.
I've asked @Raffles if Virgin Atlantic have one.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've never heard of such an agreement by a carrier with a bank to overlook credit deficiencies. If you've got any examples, those would be very helpful.
CPMaverick, shillard and RTWFF like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:09 pm
sam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I've never heard of such an agreement by a carrier with a bank to overlook credit deficiencies. If you've got any examples, those would be very helpful.
I'm not suggesting banks would overlook clear deficiencies like defaults but I think many credit card issuers will reject applications for far less serious discrepancies.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:12 pm

It sounds like an old wives tale to me. Banks are strictly regulated and I'm not sure influence by a (biased) third party on the issuing of credit would be acceptable. Like I said, if you can provide evidence, I'll glady read up on it, as I'd be interested to see how it can work. But I'm skeptical.
shillard, Beano and RTWFF like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sam
I'm not suggesting banks would overlook clear deficiencies like defaults but I think many credit card issuers will reject applications for far less serious discrepancies.
I'm still skeptical. Card issuers (banks) have underwriting standards and those are available to the regulators (often in more than one country). I'd be interested, along with several others who have posted as well, in the source of your data as it would be extremely enlightening.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sam
Citibank. I have considered writing to them. This is my fallback.
This may be the problem, Citibank doesn't have a Velocity co-branded credit card.
shillard likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
This may be the problem, Citibank doesn't have a Velocity co-branded credit card.
IIRC Virgin Money = Citibank
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by sam
Perhaps the fact you have already CC with Citi is hindering your application? Although I have personally benefitted heavily from sign ups before, I am actually happy that banks are starting to be stricter on this... There are too many people left to be bankrupt just because of these schemes we promote here... These schemes are not suitable for everyone - they are suitable only those who can AFFORD IT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.