Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Best way to earn points on a long haul VX marketed flight on Etihad metal

Best way to earn points on a long haul VX marketed flight on Etihad metal

Old Oct 24, 18, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Question Best way to earn points on a long haul VX marketed flight on Etihad metal

My girl friend recently flew from Brisbane to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi in business class. They were both marketed by VA with flight numbers of VA7xxx and flown on Etihad metal. I am not familiar at all with Virgin Australia's Velocity program, but in doing some research, it looks like a business class flight on Etihad earns 2 Velocity points per mile. 10,479 miles x 2 would be 20,958 points. Perhaps someone more familiar with the program can fact check this. It also looks like they would expire after 24 months of inactivity.

Will she be able to sign up today and retroactively earn points for the flights taken earlier this month? She has Platinum status on Delta and was hoping to earn miles there, but the flights offered at the time did not work with her schedule. Can she use Velocity points to book free flights on Delta or another partner? It does not seem like 20,958 points are worth much, but I cannot tell since I have gotten a few links on their site with "404 error". I am not sure if their site is poor, or this is a temporary problem. There are a ton of programs listed on https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/, but Velocity is not among them.

If we do not have the opportunity to fly to use Velocity points, as we live in the USA, we would at least like to transfer them to another program or redeem them somehow.

Alternatively, she has a small account on Etihad. Is there a way for her to get points on Etihad, and if so, is this a better strategy?

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 24, 18, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisphx View Post
Will she be able to sign up today and retroactively earn points for the flights taken earlier this month?
A little hard to find, but looks like can join and claim for flights taken up to 30 days before.
Nothing lost if she joins the VA ffp now. Can claim later if you go that way.
Can I claim velocity points after flight?
Virgin Velocity Frequent Flyer. Velocity points earned on eligible flights can take up to 14 days to show up on your account. If you still don't see points for a flight after this time, you can make a claim within 6 months of the travel date, or 30 days prior to joining the Velocity program.Aug 15, 2018
https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...oints-flights/
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...rms-conditions

VA ff points can be transferred to to SQ Krisflyer at 1:1.35 To be 1:1.55 in the future.

DL is a VA ff partner. https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co.../PointsTables/

Would expect could be credited to the EY ffp. EY own a large portion of Virgin Australia.

Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.
Old Oct 24, 18, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Velocity do have residential restrictions on who can join: (https://experience.velocityfrequentf...rms-conditions)
An individual is eligible to become a Member if: (a) they are an individual resident in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Christmas Island or Cocos Island;
If not so qualified, it may be best to look at crediting to another program.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Thank you to everyone for their guidance. After reading the country restrictions, she tried to create an account and indeed could not select USA. So we will try Etihad. Otherwise, if that won't work, she has a long-time friend who is living in Australia right now. I wonder if she could use her friend's address.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisphx View Post
... I wonder if she could use her friend's address.
I believe similar has been done before ...
chrisphx likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 2:03 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I believe similar has been done before ...
But is technically a fraud and if discovered punishable by Australian laws...
Old Oct 26, 18, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
But is technically a fraud and if discovered punishable by Australian laws...
Possibly, but the level of loss if deemed a fraud is likely to reduce any punishment based on Australian law to a level of meaninglessness.

(Not that I am promulgating such an action by the op's girlfriend.)

Worst that would happen would be a loss of velocity points - even that is unlikely
CPMaverick likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: