Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Velocity Award Flight Redemptions to have Carrier Surcharges from Jan 1st 2019

Velocity Award Flight Redemptions to have Carrier Surcharges from Jan 1st 2019

Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Remind me, when was the last time airline fuel surcharges dropped when petrol prices fell?
They renamed they carrier surcharges

And Virgin did drop them.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by perthite
Jet fuel is 36% more expensive now than it was 12 months ago. Of course they're going to recover that somewhere....
Of course, but it should be with ticket prices, or surcharges on paid tickets. Awards are meant to be already paid for with past ticket purchases and the cost of obtaining the points. Seats are awarded at minimal cost to carriers due to inventory controls. To add these surcharges is a slap in the face to those that bought the advertising that (XX points can get you a J award to LAX). Hundreds of dollars in fees were not part of that agreement.

And yes, I know this is pruely done because QF has gotten away with it but it is still wrong. Petrol is not a valid excuse.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Of course, but it should be with ticket prices, or surcharges on paid tickets. Awards are meant to be already paid for with past ticket purchases and the cost of obtaining the points. Seats are awarded at minimal cost to carriers due to inventory controls. To add these surcharges is a slap in the face to those that bought the advertising that (XX points can get you a J award to LAX). Hundreds of dollars in fees were not part of that agreement.
But the carriers and the frequent flyer programs are run by separate businesses these days - Velocity has to pay VA for the flights...

I view points like normal money - their value inflates away over time - it's just that points does it in jumps...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by perthite
But the carriers and the frequent flyer programs are run by separate businesses these days - Velocity has to pay VA for the flights...

I view points like normal money - their value inflates away over time - it's just that points does it in jumps...
Point inflation happens, yes.

Surchages are NOT points inflation.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Point inflation happens, yes.

Surchages are NOT points inflation.
It's just how they slice and dice the costs. They have opted to keep the points the same, for competitive reasons....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.