Search

AKL-TBU: Economy Gateway fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

AKL-TBU: Economy Gateway fare

Hi,
Since I've never flown with VA before, just wanted to get some input on what I can expect between AKL-TBU with an Economy Gateway fare ticket. I am a DL Skymiles Diamond member which I understood from other posts will be mapped to a VA Platinum status.
My questions are
- @ AKL airport, will I get the lounge access? - noticed that it is a 3rd party lounge
- Priority check-in, baggage and boarding?
- seat selection - do I still have to pay for the XL seats (at least in the booking now, I still can't select them complimentary despite having my DL number in the booking)
- what can I expect from complimentary food point onboard? (seem meals are included, but not sure if this is just choosing a couple of items from the BoB menu)

Cheers!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I suspect you mean Getaway fare not Gateway fare.

Yes, your DL Diamond status will give you 'Partner Platinum' status on VA. Generally this is the same as VA Platinum status. Although there are a few exceptions
- DL and VA have a reciprocal lounge agreement, however this is not good for partner lounges. A VA Plat would use the Strata Lounge at AKL for TBU flights. But you won't have access (although you can ask). Short story, no lounge access
- VA Plats get free EconomyX seats, but I don't believe this extends to Partner Platinum. You can call VA and check. I suspect VA will be happy to put you in EconomyX for free day of departure, if there are any left (my experience when I was DL Diamond is they treated me just like a Plat member at check-in).

Otherwise you can use the VA priority check-in and boarding, and your baggage allowance will be the same as a VA Plat.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:55 pm

At Auckland airport, you won't get lounge access. The Strata Lounge is apart of priorty pass or you can even pay NZD49 for access online.

You'll also get priority check-in, baggage, and boarding along with 3x 23kg bags.

The Economy X seating benefit doesn't extend to partner platinum's however as CPMaverick said any left at check-in will be assigned for free (you'll need to ask).

The meals depend on which ticket you book. Go and Go Plus tickets don't include any food so you purchase it from this menu - https://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/g...menu-sep17.pdf

Getaway and Freedom tickets include a meal, my last daytime VA international short haul flight included any drink off the above menu, a main of pasta or a 2nd option that I think was fish, a salad and a chocolate mousse.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.