Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin's massive loss: how safe are my Velocity points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)

Virgin Australia announced a $653M loss this morning. https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...28-p500bz.html

As I recall their Velocity programme was sold off into a separate entity so even if an Ansett-style debacle comes along my points should be safe?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you read the entire article, it isn't very alarming. Taking away some write-offs it's a better financial year than last year. Of course, it is concerning that VA can't seem to be more profitable at a time when most airlines are in the black, but unless there is a big downturn in airline travel VA should be just fine.

Virgin chief executive John Borghetti said it was the group's strongest underlying result in a decade, and was driven by record-high earnings in its core domestic business.

"Today’s financial results show that the business is in a good position to achieve sustainable profitability going forward," Mr Borghetti said.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you read the entire article, it isn't very alarming. Taking away some write-offs it's a better financial year than last year. Of course, it is concerning that VA can't seem to be more profitable at a time when most airlines are in the black, but unless there is a big downturn in airline travel VA should be just fine.
Their main problem is their short-haul international business which is being heavily subsidised by the domestic and long-haul business. Once they shift Bali to mainly Tiger and maybe some of the south pacific flights then they should be on stronger ground.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWFF
...As I recall their Velocity programme was sold off into a separate entity so even if an Ansett-style debacle comes along my points should be safe?
If VA does an Air Berlin will not be much to spend those Velocity points on.

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Their main problem is their short-haul international business which is being heavily subsidised by the domestic and long-haul business. Once they shift Bali to mainly Tiger and maybe some of the south pacific flights then they should be on stronger ground.
Australia - NZ is a major short haul business market. With the end on the AirNZ/VA joint venture in Oct, the QF-Air NZ TT domestic codeshare agreement from November and Air NZ ramping up TT flights VA are the big loser on the very competitive TT routes.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's far too early to call VA a loser in the TT shuffle (which hasn't even come into effect yet).

VA has a strong core domestic business. They aren't folding anytime soon.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The headline really should be:
Virgin Australia posts underlying profit of $109M ($653M "loss" after writeoffs)
Profit actually increased by $112M.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.