Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Can I switch my business class seat with my partner in economy?

Old Jun 15, 18, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Hey guys. So I'm booked in business class and my partner is in economy. They'll be very tired for the flight and I'd like them to take my business class seat and me to sit in the economy seat. We're on the same booking (just different class fares) but since we're doing a status points run for Air NZ status, we need the seat for J to be under my name (since I need the points).

I know some airlines are less strict about switching than others (and for good reasons too). Has anyone had any experience doing this with VA?
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
It depends on the route/service/Flight Attendant; maybe even the phase of the moon.

I suggest you very nicely ask the FA on boarding - you would like your partner to experience the service; don't mention status as the reason.
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:04 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
If you switch for the entire flight, it is OK. If you think about switching it several times (as some maximisers here do) during he flight, forget it!
serfty and trooper like this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Update on this. Not only did they let me switch, but they also treated me super nicely. They let me move to an empty economy x row, and have offered me a meal/snacks/drinks even though this was just a basic seat-only economy ticket. Each attendant has come up to me and asked me "if I'm the one that switched business class seats" haha. They told my partner that if he hasn't already, he should put a ring on it clearly this doesn't happen very often.
serfty, trooper, Osmo and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Update on this. Not only did they let me switch, but they also treated me super nicely. They let me move to an empty economy x row, and have offered me a meal/snacks/drinks even though this was just a basic seat-only economy ticket. Each attendant has come up to me and asked me "if I'm the one that switched business class seats" haha. They told my partner that if he hasn't already, he should put a ring on it clearly this doesn't happen very often.
So don't keep us in suspense .... did he put a ring on it??