Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

opportunities created for many OZ airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

& maybe even for some New Zealand airports like ROT ...

due to NZ/VA split end of OCT, (discussed in other thread, but this deserves it's own thread for possibilities for new nonstop) plenty of small Australian airports have an opportunity to get more or 1st international services to New Zealand.

Eg. CNS might get nonstop flights to New Zealand apart from AKL
TSV might get 1 or 2 nonstop flights a week, similarly with WTB, ROK(& maybe other Qld ports), CFS, NTL, CBR, AVV, HBA etc. especially if throw low cost Tiger into the mix.

or maybe nonstop in one direction via somewhere else in other direction, such as

AKL/NTL/BNE/AKL once a week & AKL/BNE/NTL/AKL once a week, where AKL/BNE/AKL flights already exist.

Similar could happen with a New Zealand domestic service as 3rd part of triangle.

Think QR currently fly DOH/CBR/SYD/DOH & vice versa ?

Obviously CBR/SYD is a very short sector, but mean CBR passengers don't have to change terminals at SYD which can be a very time consuming nightmare.

Southwest, the USA's biggest & probably best airline, parked 90 B737-300 jets last year, which left them a bit short of aircraft, so they had to make each bird work harder, starting earlier in the day & finishing later in the evening (why they don't do west coast to east coast red eyes astounds me). Although not a huge financial success, in Australia/New Zealand it might work as many airports who don't have any/many TT services now, would take flights at any time of the day they can get them.

https://skift.com/2018/04/05/southwest-tries-to-do-more-with-less-because-of-a-temporary-aircraft-shortage/?utm_campaign=Early%20Time%20Zone%20-%20Skift%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_source=hs_email& utm_medium=email&utm_content=61869437&_hsenc=p2ANq tz-_35CIq4yqD7mm8NGQ7qiShjURN9KoKEjzFaswtHGuCtpqyfvkS M_409lqy6YlljtXNoOwOg13FSXGyfTFtjL4XO6pjqQ&_hsmi=6 1869437

Last edited by southpac; Apr 5, 2018 at 6:36 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:20 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Doubt anything will change, Canberra’s NZ service was poorly patronised and that’s the reason other cities won’t work. Other airlines are looking at smaller cities to get over capacity restraints, that’s not an issue across the ditch.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by southpac
...TSV might get 1 or 2 nonstop flights a week, similarly with WTB, ROK (& maybe other Qld ports), CFS, NTL, CBR, AVV, HBA etc. especially if throw low cost Tiger into the mix.
The cost of setting up Au/NZ emigration & immigration at airports that do not currently have them would be horrendous. [IT & & unions!!]
And the same for on ground handling if an airline does not have a current presence. With ground handling subcontractors the $$ goes to them.

Not a lot of money to be made on TT routes. Its about volume.
I often fly trans Tasman one way for $100~$125 plus real government/regulatory taxes & fees. Have flown for $60 plus the taxes/fees.

Smaller airports would not have the demand/volume. CHC-HBA had been tried before and failed.
Air NZ runs some seasonal flights to QLD, but not all year. If there was money to be made Air NZ would be operating all year.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

smaller airports are desperate for int flights esp NTL & HBA. (NTL did have nonstop to AKL until 2002; HBA did have nonstop to NZ-not sure when they ended)

Those airports will have to pay for customs/immigration or it won't happen.

Not talking high frequency maybe as few as 1 or 2 a week.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Small airports would love a direct NZ, sure. I don't see the business case for it. If anything the airlines will consolidate their now-smaller operations on big hubs.

1-2 a week frequency cannot justify setting up customs/immigration. And such spartan frequency won't sway local business fliers.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

yeah disagree completely.

The likes of PMR, DUD, HLZ had many TT flights in days of Freedom/Kiwi Int.

AKL is a bloody awful place to have to change terminals at, just like SYD. No one wants to go near them.

Say you're a business type living near one of above airports. You would much prefer to fly nonstop out of one of those airports to OZ, but dates don't suit in both directions, so you fly one direction nonstop & other via AKL or CHC or WLG.

Similarly on OZ side. Changing terminals at SYD is horrendous & very time consuming, but BNE is not much better & at MEL, although terminals are right beside each other, is still a time consuming hassle.

Nonstops from NTL, CBR, AVV, HBA etc. to New Zealand would work, as long as airlines don't try to overservice them.

Last edited by southpac; Apr 10, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:16 pm

yeah disagree completely.

The likes of PMR, DUD, HLZ had many TT flights in days of Freedom/Kiwi Int.
So you're using a failed business model to advance your case?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

hardly a failed business model. Kiwi Int were making money until very dodgy Air NZ set up Freedom to stuff them up, illegally. Then Air NZ went broke soon after.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:25 am

hardly a failed business model. Kiwi Int were making money until very dodgy Air NZ set up Freedom to stuff them up, illegally. Then Air NZ went broke soon after.
So you're saying that obliteration off the face of the earth is a successful business model?

Bankruptcy is a successful business model only in a Trumpian world
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:45 am

I get that a business person would prefer to fly from their nearest airport on a direct flight, sure.

I don't get that the Air NZ / VA breakup makes that any more likely. When you break up the partnership, focusing on smaller markets becomes harder, not easier. A VA/NZ alliance might have been able to fill those planes, but a split alliance won't be able to.

Guess we will see, I am not holding my breath. In fact I suspect the VA flight BNE-DUD will be the first to go.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

the VA/NZ alliance meant they neither would do anything that might hurt the other. No more alliance, so both can look at where they could be flying.

BNE, SYD, AKL & too lesser extent MEL are awful places to have to change from dom to int terminals or v.v.

I & I think many others would do anything to fly direct, even go very early am or late pm.

Wonder what DUD is doing to try to salvage the situation ? Triangular route might be an option. Here's an idea

HBA/AKL/DUD/HBA & v.v. one a week, with one crew or AKL/DUD/HBA/AKL & v.v. again with one crew, effectively combining 2 thin routes. Timings might suck, like red eye HBA/AKL on Sat evening & one other night of the week, but better than no int service to DUD & HBA looking to reinstate flights to NZ ASAP after large amount spent on runway etc.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BNE, SYD, AKL & too lesser extent MEL are awful places to have to change from dom to int terminals or v.v..
At MEL the VA - International - QF terminals are effectively in one building. Walk 30m from VA or QF and you are in the (middle) international terminal. The new MEL T4 (JQ & others) is short walk.

BNE, SYD, PER (except for QF) & AKL have the domestic & international terminals some distance apart, so need a ride by bus (or $$$ train for SYD)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's not the walk at mel that's the problem it's the queues getting into international that's the issue. Think avv international will do well as no congestion.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:01 pm

Can't understand your logic, a smaller coverage map for each airline means they will concentrate more on core routes, not the other way around.

For example, when codeshares or profit sharing is in place, one airline can run a route like BNE-DUD and the combined passengers can actually fill it. But can VA fill that route on their own? No, it will go away. Expect routes to disappear not increase.

I will say @southpac , since you have joined, you've certainly added a unique perspective to the forum! If everyone starts switching to FJ to fly AU-LAX and NZ starts flying WLG-NTL, I will have to call you a genius.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
BNE-DUD confirmed to stay 3x weekly.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/c...isbane-service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.