Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Air NZ and Virgin Australia to end trans Tasman alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ and Virgin Australia to end trans Tasman alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
Yes, I would like to know what lounge access VA will have for its tier members in Akl, Chc, Wlg etc
I recently asked about this through their facebook team...

VA Team: Thank you for reaching out. I would recommend to check the link here: virg.in/IntlLoungeAccess, for the most up to date information regarding lounge access when travelling internationally. I hope this helps
International Lounge Access Virgin Australia
Virgin Australia is pleased to offer lounge access to our International Business Class Guests and Velocity Platinum and Gold Members.
virginaustralia.com"

Me: Hi thanks for the reply. I have checked it and it doesn’t state anything about the NZ Alliance ending
post Oct 27th while still showing NZ Koru access when flying NZ flights. Which most surely won’t be allowed. Would be good to update this page so passengers aren’t caught out on the day.

VA Team: The page will be updated if changes are made in the future
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
yes, I am after what lounge arrangements VA will have for its tier flyers going TT in both Aus and NZ, on its own metal. I am assuming that the benefit of using Koru lounge whilst flying domestically within NZ will be lost
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
yes, I am after what lounge arrangements VA will have for its tier flyers going TT in both Aus and NZ, on its own metal. I am assuming that the benefit of using Koru lounge whilst flying domestically within NZ will be lost
As you've discovered, unfortunately this information isn't available yet.

Knowing VA, we won't find out until October. But realistically, there isn't much need to know until the day of your flight. Unless you book your operating carrier based off exactly which lounge you can access, which maybe some do (I don't).

I am assuming there will be some kind of international lounge arrangement, it will just be normal VA - spec (inconsistent and subject to change at any time!).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:39 am

I noticed this update on Air NZ website under from 1/11/18:

Airpoints members will continue to be able to earn and redeem Airpoints Dollars™ on trans-Tasman and domestic Australian Virgin Australia flights, however for bookings from 1 November you will no longer be able to earn Airpoints Dollars on Virgin Australia's long haul services (between Australia and Hong Kong or Los Angeles).

Maybe this means that Velocity will still provide points on NZ TT and domestic services, even though the cooperation/alliance agreement ends? Perhaps the FF and lounge access etc will not change that much after all? Maybe VA can look to clarify...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Air NZ thread on this topic----> Air NZ to codeshare with Qantas

ausbt have published the Air NZ earning & lounge access.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

Airpoints members will continue to be able to earn and redeem Airpoints Dollars™ on trans-Tasman and domestic Australian Virgin Australia flights, however for bookings from 1 November you will no longer be able to earn Airpoints Dollars on Virgin Australia's long haul services (between Australia and Hong Kong or Los Angeles).

Maybe this means that Velocity will still provide points on NZ TT and domestic services, even though the cooperation/alliance agreement ends? Perhaps the FF and lounge access etc will not change that much after all? Maybe VA can look to clarify...
The line before your quote notes the change was in effect starting in 2017 before they planned to break up.

"We're making a change to our frequent flyer partnership with Virgin Australia effective 1 November 2017."

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/alli...rgin-australia
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:45 pm

This was the fight before the break-up. It was effective 1/11/17, not 18. The Oct 2018 split is real and complete.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:05 am

ok got it, yes it states from 1/11/17
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The competition is increasing. From a VA email
With Air NZ meals & IFE are extra, unless you buy the highest fare type.
Will be the same offering as QF.
<snip>
Today Virgin Australia have announced new and additional services between Australia and New Zealand as well as complimentary baggage, meals, drinks and inflight entertainment on all Trans-Tasman flights from 28 October 2018.

Alongside the introduction of these new services and fare inclusions, I’ve taken the opportunity to review and enhance our Points and Status Credit earn rates. I’m pleased to announce that these improvements will apply to both the Trans-Tasman and International Short Haul networks including destinations such as Bali, Fiji and Samoa.

For flights booked from today 1 August 2018 and departing from 28 October 2018 you’ll earn 5 Points per $1 spent1 on your Virgin Australia airfare. Previously Points were earned based on a mileage calculation. This is the first time we have applied the same Points earn rate across our Domestic, Trans-Tasman and International Short Haul networks, making it easy for you to calculate your Points earn when booking.

We will also improve our Status Credit earn rates1 for most fares across the Trans-Tasman and International Short Haul networks. As an example, a one-way Getaway fare from Sydney to Auckland currently earns 15 Status Credits, and under the new arrangement will earn 20 Status Credits.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 1, 2018 at 2:22 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:23 am

This is a nice change.

I hated VA's implementation of meal/bag inclusions on the trans-tasman routes. More than once I was on a very expensive fare NZ to US and the NZ leg was a lottery, sometimes I got a meal, other times when I asked I was loudly told my ticket was 'too cheap to get a meal' (even when my ticket was $2500+).

VA made it clear when booking directly what you were getting, but on more complex itineraries through booking agents (or once, a DL codeshare), you never knew. After a couple bad experiences, I decided to send my NZ-USA business elsewhere.

If VA wants to be a full service airline, they should be one. I warmly welcome this change.
serfty likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
I recently asked about this through their facebook team...

VA Team: Thank you for reaching out. I would recommend to check the link here: virg.in/IntlLoungeAccess, for the most up to date information regarding lounge access when travelling internationally. I hope this helps
International Lounge Access Virgin Australia
Virgin Australia is pleased to offer lounge access to our International Business Class Guests and Velocity Platinum and Gold Members.
virginaustralia.com"

Me: Hi thanks for the reply. I have checked it and it doesn’t state anything about the NZ Alliance ending
post Oct 27th while still showing NZ Koru access when flying NZ flights. Which most surely won’t be allowed. Would be good to update this page so passengers aren’t caught out on the day.

VA Team: The page will be updated if changes are made in the future
And still nothing with only a month to go
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I was recently told by one of the VA staff that for MEL-WLG leg, they will start selling Singapore Airline flight as the primary codeshare. And Singapore airlines uses AirNZ lounge, so likely we might end up in the AirNZ lounge in WLG. Not sure about Auckland.
Beano likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by rattlerr
I was recently told by one of the VA staff that for MEL-WLG leg, they will start selling Singapore Airline flight as the primary codeshare. And Singapore airlines uses AirNZ lounge, so likely we might end up in the AirNZ lounge in WLG. Not sure about Auckland.
My interest at the moment is departing SYD
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:15 pm

I'm flying MEL-AKL on Nov 1, while the girlfriend is flying MEL-LAX on the same day. I have status, she doesn't. Here's hoping I can guest her into whatever lounge I have access to.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:43 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rattlerr
. And Singapore airlines uses AirNZ lounge, so likely we might end up in the AirNZ lounge in WLG. Not sure about Auckland.
Thats to be expected under *alliance rules, doesn’t mean it will translate to VA customers. Auckland I would expect strata club, Wellington I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s nothing. Nice bonus points on offer at present for NZ bookings.
YOUR EXCLUSIVE VIRGIN AUSTRALIA
POINTS OFFER HAS LANDED

Virgin Australia has recently unveiled new on-board offers and WiFi on all Trans-Tasman flights and to celebrate we want to reward you with bonus Velocity Points when you fly to New Zealand.
YOU CAN RECEIVE
6,000 BONUS POINTSfor a return Economy Fare
(get 3,000 bonus Points one way)
12,000 BONUS POINTSfor a return Business Fare
Beano likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.