Upgrade bid question

Old Nov 5, 17, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Upgrade bid question

I am flying VA LAX-BNE next week and returning BNE-LAX later in the month.

I've submitted a low-ball offer for a Y->PE cash upgrade on the outbound flight and the automatic email suggests that I have up to 48 hours before departure to "modify my offers".

I was wondering if it will be possible for me to return to the booking and submit an offer for BNE-LAX...after already having flown LAX-BNE? Ideally, I'd do this a few days before I depart BNE and have a better idea of the load factor in PE and J...
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:45 pm

It should be possible. Only the flight you have already taken will be greyed out.
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yes you can submit for a return flight after you've flown your outbound.
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to you both
Old Nov 13, 17, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

interesting, now that my bid Y-PE is accepted on the outbound, i receive a message "We were not able to find your itinerary or this trip is not eligible to request an upgrade." furthermore when attempting to change seats i receive a message "This booking can only be changed by calling our Guest Contact Centre because Travel Extras have been purchased." Does this mean the ticket is out of sync? I did receive new ticket numbers after the Y-PE upgrade processed.

I want to know if the ticket is out of sync before I get to the airport this afternoon, because I am starting my journey with DL on a separate ticket and want to be able to check my bags all the way through at my origin, which typically DL will allow.
Old Nov 13, 17, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
I would be communicating with your ticketing agency at the immediate first opportunity.

Can you look the booking up on www.virtuallythere.com ?
Old Nov 13, 17, 3:46 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I get the message "This booking can only be changed by calling our Guest Contact Centre because Travel Extras have been purchased" very often. I wouldn't worry about that one, but call if you want to verify or change anything.

Not sure about the 'unable to find your itinerary' message. Is that on the VA site, or on the UpgradeMe site?
Old Nov 13, 17, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I get the message "This booking can only be changed by calling our Guest Contact Centre because Travel Extras have been purchased" very often. I wouldn't worry about that one, but call if you want to verify or change anything.

Not sure about the 'unable to find your itinerary' message. Is that on the VA site, or on the UpgradeMe site?
UpgradeMe. Things look fine on VA site. I'm about to leave for the airport so I'll find out soon enough if the ticket is FUBAR.
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
UpgradeMe. Things look fine on VA site. I'm about to leave for the airport so I'll find out soon enough if the ticket is FUBAR.
You should be fine. I get the same message anytime I upgrade to Econ X if I have purchased the ticket via an OTA.
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:34 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I get the message "This booking can only be changed by calling our Guest Contact Centre because Travel Extras have been purchased" very often. I wouldn't worry about that one,
Well that's a feature of VA's dreadful IT - whenever you upgrade or purchase "travel extras" the website becomes useless and your booking is locked. You can't choose seats, special meals, or make any changes online after an upgrade.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:57 pm
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
Another weird one - we've got a flight back home to Oz for Christmas. Submitted a UpgradeMe bid a while back. If I go into "Manage Booking" and click on the link to UpgradeMe Bid it says "can't find itinerary or you're not eligible". BUT, if I go into the UpgradeMe page or click on the link I got when I did it then it shows my bid BUT only for the one flight (ie. I can't change offer for the other flights in the booking - I hadn't made one but ...). My itinerary has been mucked around with by VA several times (involving some heated phone calls where they were lying to me about flight availability on certain days until I escalated to a supervisor and then to their supervisor).

Anyone seen this before? Kind of wondering whether it's worth ringing them to find out what's going on? I don't want the upgrade bid to go away either.

Edit: Originally (up until a week or so ago) I could click on the Upgrade Bid link from the Manage booking screen.
MMC

Last edited by mmc; Nov 19, 17 at 2:17 pm
Old Nov 20, 17, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you see your booking on Virtually There?
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:21 pm
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Can you see your booking on Virtually There?
Dunno - redirects me to TripCase. Do you think it's worth ringing VA and asking about what's going on?
Old Nov 21, 17, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmc View Post
Dunno - redirects me to TripCase. Do you think it's worth ringing VA and asking about what's going on?
May by worth it, but try tripcase first ... (forgot about the redirect).
Old Nov 25, 17, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmc View Post
Another weird one - we've got a flight back home to Oz for Christmas. Submitted a UpgradeMe bid a while back. If I go into "Manage Booking" and click on the link to UpgradeMe Bid it says "can't find itinerary or you're not eligible". BUT, if I go into the UpgradeMe page or click on the link I got when I did it then it shows my bid BUT only for the one flight (ie. I can't change offer for the other flights in the booking - I hadn't made one but ...). My itinerary has been mucked around with by VA several times (involving some heated phone calls where they were lying to me about flight availability on certain days until I escalated to a supervisor and then to their supervisor).

Anyone seen this before? Kind of wondering whether it's worth ringing them to find out what's going on? I don't want the upgrade bid to go away either.

Edit: Originally (up until a week or so ago) I could click on the Upgrade Bid link from the Manage booking screen.
MMC
all of what you mention above is what happened to me after i submitted my original outbound bid. i was never able to resubmit for the return, despite calling and explicitly asking to pay for an upgrade. i ended up taking an economy X upgrade instead, and PE flew with a couple of empty seats

Search this Thread
Search Engine: