Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on Business Class

How strict are Virgin with their carry-on weight? 7kg is not a lot for business class especially if you have a laptop and some duty-free. Are they a little forgiving if you are traveling in business? This would be a domestic out of Syd.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Never seen anyone in the Premium Boarding line challenged. The riff-raff are sometimes less lucky
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've never seen anyone challenged at the gate. I have seen people challenged at check-in, even priority lane and business class passengers. So they can be fairly strict, but if your bag doesn't look heavy, you will be fine. They don't weigh every carry-on only those that look suspect.

FYI the laptop can be considered a 'personal item' and so not included in the 7kg, I have seen people be over 7kg and they ask 'do you have a laptop in your bag'... if the answer is yes they let it slide. Technically I think they should weigh it with the laptop removed, but I've never seen this. If you have a purse or another personal item though, you can't count your laptop.

Not sure about duty-free, I kind of feel they would be willing to let that slide though, as long as it is in a clearly marked duty-free bag.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by riced
How strict are Virgin with their carry-on weight? 7kg is not a lot for business class especially if you have a laptop and some duty-free. Are they a little forgiving if you are traveling in business? This would be a domestic out of Syd.
How are you getting duty free at domestic?

If it's in a separate bag that could be your personal item and is not part of the 7kg.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by riced
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Should not be a problem. I have once seen someone getting challenged at check in. You might want to get your boarding pass online or in the lounge.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Flying around Europe, I am accustomed to getting away with BOTH a rollaboard and a sizeable backpack for my laptop (and numerous other personal effects) - would I be able to take them both aboard a Virgin Australia flight in Economy, or will they have me check in the rollaboard?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You should be ok as long as the backpack is not too large, say 25 litres.
JTCz likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks, it's 36x46x20, not sure how many litres it could hold but I don't think it's particularly sizeable.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JTCz
Thanks, it's 36x46x20, not sure how many litres it could hold but I don't think it's particularly sizeable.
That's about the same size I use.

Just as a comparison, a 115cm rollaboard is generally ~60 litres.
JTCz likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you for your guidance again!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Never ever seen anyone flying domestic having bags checked for the past 10 years or whatever as a Plat.

Virgin fares domestic are over the MOON compared to Jetstar and Tiger so I am sure THEY are stringentyl checked on weight.

If Virgin got tough they’d have no discretionary passengers!

In recent years with the absurd 5 SC per segment I really wonder why anyone bothers, even Elites. Me included. Dumbest thing they ever did.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:30 pm

Traveling on Economy between SYD and MEL with a carryon luggage and a small bag.
Will Virgin let me bring on both?

tks!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Carry suggestion

Originally Posted by Jmr007
Should not be a problem. I have once seen someone getting challenged at check in. You might want to get your boarding pass online or in the lounge.
I was forced to check in luggage at the premium checkin (Sydney )
The bag was 9kg
I said it included my laptop but they said the 7kg was including the personal items
As I had a allowance I did not argue ...I am gold.
yes great suggest ...check in at the lounge ...will do that next time
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Traveling on Economy between SYD and MEL with a carryon luggage and a small bag.
Will Virgin let me bring on both?

tks!
I would now say no (unless you check in in the lounge or hide your bag)
in light of my flight taken last week
ps it could have beeen punishment to me as I had just the previous week lost my platinum status lol :-)

Last edited by Beano; Nov 18, 2017 at 1:58 pm Reason: Add more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.