Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Through check baggage on VA Dom - SQ int for SYD on sep. tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Is there any chance (or any way, even if I have to pay extra) of through-checking baggage on VA domestic to SQ international on separate tickets?

I hate doing landside transfers at SYD DOM to INT so I tried to buy them as a single ticket but SQ don't sell them that way, so I had no choice but to buy separate tickets. For what it's worth, in case it makes any difference, VA domestic will be in J and SQ is F.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Although there will be people here telling you otherwise, I was not successful when doing HBA-MEL(VA)-SIN(SQ) on two separate tickets very recently. I was told that while they theoretically can do that, they have strict instruction not to do it. I was told this by several VA staffers on the phone (HUACA) as well as by actual checking staff...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you vbroucek. I should have really thought about it and routed through MEL (much easier for DOM-INT landside transfer as you'd probably know than SYD). Never mind!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thank you vbroucek. I should have really thought about it and routed through MEL (much easier for DOM-INT landside transfer as you'd probably know than SYD). Never mind!
Yes, there are only few airports that I am systematically trying to avoid and SYD is on the top of the list :-) I will rather go few times through FRA than once through SYD...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Yes, there are only few airports that I am systematically trying to avoid and SYD is on the top of the list :-) I will rather go few times through FRA than once through SYD...
Really? FRA T2 to T1 land side transfer is about the same in SYD. At least in SYD you don't have to walk a lot to get to the gate (well except for NZ/EK/EY/VA flights )
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Really? FRA T2 to T1 land side transfer is about the same in SYD. At least in SYD you don't have to walk a lot to get to the gate (well except for NZ/EK/EY/VA flights )
Problem is, that SYD is pain even air side... INT-DOM or v.v. is simply pain, no matter what.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
FRA is annoying but SYD is even worse IMO. I rate SYD to be the worst airport I have ever been to for transfers (particularly airside).

Virgin could make a nice packet if they allowed baggage through-check to SQ for a somewhat reasonable fee like AUD 100. I'd pay it to avoid the SYD landside transfer.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
A friend of mine recently attempted SYD-MEL-SIN-BKK in Business Class with VA domestically and SQ internationally. Not only was the Sydney domestic check-in agent dismissive of the attempt to check the baggage through, she also decided (irrelevantly) that she would check his international travel documents and told him off for what she believed (incorrectly) was an infraction of the Thai arrival/passport formalities. It was a most unfortunate experience all round

As a separate issue, I do wonder what VA mean by "airline partners". There's a prominent display next to the transfer desk in Sydney that gives a long list of "airline partners". As far as I can tell it simply means you can travel on the VA bus between terminals eg. Sydney domestic arriving on VA to Sydney international departing on TG. However, since baggage cannot be checked through it's presumably of benefit only for passengers without baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.