Restricting Velocity membership

Old Mar 1, 19, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Your point may make it easier for someone traveling to Australia from a city that VA doesn't service, but it won't help anyone who is traveling outside Oz.
Exactly! That's why I used 'can work'.

And, yes, connecting trips to/from Oz on VA*xx codeshares can be more efficient at getting the eligible sectors.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Yes, but it is impossible to book a VA codeshare unless the reservation involves traveling to/from Australia.Your point may make it easier for someone traveling to Australia from a city that VA doesn't service, but it won't help anyone who is traveling outside Oz.
You could also pal up with someone who does enough travel and is happy to join with you as a "Family share" although as I recall VA now insist you share an address. I know their status credits flow to you - not sure about segments
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
You could also pal up with someone who does enough travel and is happy to join with you as a "Family share" although as I recall VA now insist you share an address. I know their status credits flow to you - not sure about segments
SC and points transfer over in family pooling, but not qualifying sectors. So you do have to fly them BIS.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:06 pm

Hi,

I signed up with both Delta and Virgin Australia ffp's. Trying to figure out how best to get Gold status with one of them. Right now I have Delta Silver status and need approx 11k MQMs to maintain Silver into 2021. I have no status or status credits with Velocity yet this year. I have the following return flights I'm looking at for 2020:
YYZ-LAS in prem economy
YYZ-FCO in biz class
YYZ-BNE in biz class

I think if i book DL for the first one, Alitalia for the second one, and for the last one would book separately with each DL (YY-LAX) and VA (LAX-BNE) that I would reach Gold status with VA this year (800 status credits). I'm not sure about the eligible sectors though. I think DL and Alitalia ticketed flights may not could towards the eligible sectors requirement. This is what i found in the codeshare small print on the VA website:"You can earn Eligible Sectors when you fly on any VA operated flight that begins with a VA flight number and does not include Reward Seats.
For example, a one-way Economy flight (Freedom fare) from Sydney to Melbourne will earn you 25 Status Credits and 1 Eligible Sector. If you were to take a one-way Economy flight with Etihad from Sydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi (Flex fare), you would earn 140 Status Credits in total (80 + 60), plus up to 2 Eligible Sectors if it is a VA codeshare flight."

If the flights with Alitalia for the YYZ-FCO flights wouldn't count as eligible sectors, I could definitely cover off the 2 sectors I'd be missing by flying to MEL or SYD while in BNE.
With DL I worked it out to almost 40k MQMs. Still shy of Gold by just over 10k MQMs.

Anyone know if the flights on Alitalia would count towards the sector requirement?

Don't want to fly Air Canada for the YYZ-BNE trip but that's all that seems available on the VA app and website.

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:09 pm

deleting my comment about OW. not Alitalia related!

Last edited by flyingcpa; Feb 13, 20 at 12:19 pm Reason: error in post
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by flyingcpa View Post
Hi,

I signed up with both Delta and Virgin Australia ffp's. Trying to figure out how best to get Gold status with one of them. Right now I have Delta Silver status and need approx 11k MQMs to maintain Silver into 2021. I have no status or status credits with Velocity yet this year. I have the following return flights I'm looking at for 2020:
YYZ-LAS in prem economy
YYZ-FCO in biz class
YYZ-BNE in biz class

Anyone know if the flights on Alitalia would count towards the sector requirement?

Don't want to fly Air Canada for the YYZ-BNE trip but that's all that seems available on the VA app and website.

Thanks!
I'm a little confused, you are based in YYZ, but a Velocity member? Do you have an Australian address? Why are you switching from DL to VA? It seems easier to get to DL Gold status if you already have 11k MQM with DL.

You need VA flight numbers to get VA sectors. You can only get these on VA metal or itineraries that are booked on VA codeshares that MUST contain Australia in the itinerary. So, a YYZ-FCO itinerary cannot be booked through VA and won't give you any sectors.

I do like the Velocity program, but you'll always need trips to or within Australia to re-qualify every year, so it may not be a great program for someone based in YYZ.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:34 am

I'm a little confused, you are based in YYZ, but a Velocity member? Do you have an Australian address? Why are you switching from DL to VA? It seems easier to get to DL Gold status if you already have 11k MQM with DL.

You need VA flight numbers to get VA sectors. You can only get these on VA metal or itineraries that are booked on VA codeshares that MUST contain Australia in the itinerary. So, a YYZ-FCO itinerary cannot be booked through VA and won't give you any sectors.

I do like the Velocity program, but you'll always need trips to or within Australia to re-qualify every year, so it may not be a great program for someone based in YYZ.
Yes I have an Australian address and I will have flights to and within AUS every year. I ran the numbers and based on what I'm trying to book in 2020, seems like it will be easier to get Gold status with Velocity rather than DL. Would just need another short haul round trip in AUS while I'm there. Unless you see something that doesn't work with my math above?...
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I have an Australian address and I will have flights to and within AUS every year. I ran the numbers and based on what I'm trying to book in 2020, seems like it will be easier to get Gold status with Velocity rather than DL. Would just need another short haul round trip in AUS while I'm there. Unless you see something that doesn't work with my math above?...
What will status do for you? On DL and/or VA.
What will status not do for you (when flying one airline) if you have status on the other airline?
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:01 am

Alitalia earn rates (scroll to the bottom for non-VA numbers):
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...lines/alitalia

Delta earn rates (keep in mind VA vs DL flight number charts):
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...elta-air-lines

So for your potential itineraries here are the minimum SC:
YYZ-LAS in C+
180 SC on DL routing through ATL, 0 sectors

YYZ-FCO in J (assuming direct not really sure)
240 SC, 0 sectors

YYZ-LAX-BNE in J (assuming VA fight numbers)
440 SC, 4 sectors

So you'd get 860 SC and 4 sectors, which is enough to qualify for VA Gold status (which is 500 SC and 4 sectors). With some creative routing, you may be able to get VA Platinum, which requires 1000 SC and 8 sectors. Probably the biggest benefit of VA Plat is the 'soft landing', which guarantees VA Gold the next year even if you don't fly at all...

The big question is does VA code-share on DL YYZ-BNE, I don't really know.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What will status do for you? On DL and/or VA.
What will status not do for you (when flying one airline) if you have status on the other airline?
Sort of off topic from what I was asking but VA gold status has better lounge access eligibility and option to also bring in a guest. As one example.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:01 am

Programs: CX MPC
Do you need an Australian Credit Card to pay the taxes?

Anyone know whether Velocity will accept a non-Australian (or NZ, etc.) credit card to pay the fees and taxes on an award ticket? Have an Australian address and a Velocity account with a fair number of miles, but don't have an Australian credit card which has always put me off trying to call them to make a redemption.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:58 pm

Alitalia earn rates (scroll to the bottom for non-VA numbers):
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...lines/alitalia

Delta earn rates (keep in mind VA vs DL flight number charts):
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...elta-air-lines

So for your potential itineraries here are the minimum SC:
YYZ-LAS in C+
180 SC on DL routing through ATL, 0 sectors

YYZ-FCO in J (assuming direct not really sure)
240 SC, 0 sectors

YYZ-LAX-BNE in J (assuming VA fight numbers)
440 SC, 4 sectors

So you'd get 860 SC and 4 sectors, which is enough to qualify for VA Gold status (which is 500 SC and 4 sectors). With some creative routing, you may be able to get VA Platinum, which requires 1000 SC and 8 sectors. Probably the biggest benefit of VA Plat is the 'soft landing', which guarantees VA Gold the next year even if you don't fly at all...

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out - does VA does code-share with DL? Hopefully someone on FT knows the answer...

​​​​​​​I was also unaware of the "soft landing" benefit with VA Platinum. Thank you for letting me know!
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out - does VA does code-share with DL? Hopefully someone on FT knows the answer...
On the VA Aust web site looking for BNE-YYZ-BNE for random dates all show VA & AC flights, as VA codeshares. No DL codeshares showed up. Would depend on what routes DL fly. Via ATL?
Looking for BNE-ATL VA codeshares on DL show up. e.g. VA6221 VA6429

Edit
With airport web sites usually show codeshares in the arrival/departure tabs
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures
Do not see any VA codes on DL YYZ flights, Only on AC YYZ flights

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 20 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:36 pm

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out - does VA does code-share with DL?
Most definitely they do, but not all DL flights. You just need to search on VA's website to see if VA-coded flights appear.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
ExpertFlyer returns AC codeshares for YYZ-BNE:
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search, Departing YYZ on 22/03/20 12:00 AM for BNE, Flying VA
Frequency
Flight Stops Depart Arrive Aircraft Reliability Available Classes
1 Connection
VA (AC) 5181 0 YYZ LAX 757 Su,T,Th,F,Sa J2 C2 D2 I2 Y4 B4 H4 K4 L4 E4 N4 V4 Q4 T4
22/03/20 8:00 AM 22/03/20 10:29 AM 25% / 54m
VA (**) 8 0 LAX BNE 77W Su,M,T,W,Th J9 C8 D7 I5 W9 R8 O5 Y9 B9 H9 K9 L9 E9 N9 V9 Q9 T9 S9 M9
22/03/20 9:45 PM 24/03/20 5:00 AM 93% / 4m

1 Connection
VA (AC) 5165 0 YYZ LAX 320 Daily J2 C2 D2 I2 Y4 B4 H4 K4 L4 E4 N4 V4 Q0 T0
22/03/20 12:10 PM 22/03/20 2:44 PM 52% / 45m
VA (**) 8 0 LAX BNE 77W Su,M,T,W,Th J9 C8 D7 I5 W9 R8 O5 Y9 B9 H9 K9 L9 E9 N9 V9 Q9 T9 S9 M9

1 Connection
VA (AC) 5161 0 YYZ LAX 757 Daily J2 C2 D2 I2 Y4 B4 H4 K4 L4 E4 N4 V4 Q4 T4
22/03/20 4:00 PM 22/03/20 6:34 PM 63% / 31m

Search this Thread
Search Engine: