Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia SYD-BNE-LAX Connection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum

I failed in my attempt to secure a one way trip from SYD to LAX. I ended up getting the Sydney to Brisbane to Los Angeles.

The layover is 1hr 45 mins. Does anyone know if this plane is on time most of the time? Will that amount of layover be ok? I'd say usually ok....but I've never been to the Brisbane airport and have no idea if my connecting/departing gate is anywhere near my arriving gate.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
The domestic and international terminals are separate buildings. They require a train or bus to connect between the two that takes about half an hour in my experience.

You will be tight for time but not impossible.

Is it booked as one ticket? If it is it should be OK and they should manage the connection process for you.

If they are separate tickets I would definately allow for a longer connection time.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
The domestic and international terminals are separate buildings. They require a train or bus to connect between the two that takes about half an hour in my experience.

You will be tight for time but not impossible.

Is it booked as one ticket? If it is it should be OK and they should manage the connection process for you.

If they are separate tickets I would definately allow for a longer connection time.
Thank you. Yep. One ticket. VA SYD to LAX with a stop in Brisbane. Flying business class. It looks like this is an everyday flight for them. I'm hoping all will go well but it did seem a little tight for an everyday flight.

Last edited by Wisdom; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Im doing this tomorrow, but with more time.

If you are booked with one ticket, your bags should be checked to LAX but I note the below on the VA website. Theres also a train that goes to the International terminal.

Be sure to ask for a Express pass to get through immigration/security quicker.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...al-connections
You will receive a transfer wallet, which contains a map of the transfer port and a bus pass to use in Brisbane. Upon arriving in Brisbane, head to Gate 39 and check in for your international flight at the transfer desk. Once you have received a boarding pass for your international flight, you will be shown downstairs to the transfer bus – which will take you to the International Terminal. If you are issued with a boarding pass at the transfer lounge, you will not be required to check in again at the International Terminal
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Osmo
Im doing this tomorrow, but with more time.

If you are booked with one ticket, your bags should be checked to LAX but I note the below on the VA website. Theres also a train that goes to the International terminal.

Be sure to ask for a Express pass to get through immigration/security quicker.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...al-connections
You will receive a transfer wallet, which contains a map of the transfer port and a bus pass to use in Brisbane. Upon arriving in Brisbane, head to Gate 39 and check in for your international flight at the transfer desk. Once you have received a boarding pass for your international flight, you will be shown downstairs to the transfer bus – which will take you to the International Terminal. If you are issued with a boarding pass at the transfer lounge, you will not be required to check in again at the International Terminal
Perfect. Thank you very much. Please let me know how it works out.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I thought more about it and had my first flight changed to an earlier one. Now I'll have 2 hrs 45 mins to make my next flight.

I'd hate to miss that flight from Brisbane to Los Angeles.

Last edited by Wisdom; Apr 13, 2015 at 12:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Probably worth it just for peace of mind.

Last edited by qwertyuiop; Apr 1, 2015 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
I was going to say, ask for an earlier flight as it's taken me 90mins this morning.

When we booked in at Sydney, I was given our Brisbane to LAX boarding pass. Swung past domestic gate 39 and there's a sign saying proceed to international.

We took the train to international, had to wait about 20mins to arrive... And then.....

Picked up express passes at international, the queue for security was insane and that was the express path lane. Immigration was worse. It might be because of Easter long weekend but was hectic and crowded.

My suggestion. Fill out your departure card before you get here, I can mail you one if you don't have extras. We took the non express immigration line because it was faster and I'm also curious if the bus would have been faster.

Brisbane also having construction work and the Koru lounge is a dump.

Last edited by Osmo; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:56 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Osmo
I was going to say, ask for an earlier flight as it's taken me 90mins this morning.

When we booked in at Sydney, I was given our Brisbane to LAX boarding pass. Swung past domestic gate 39 and there's a sign saying proceed to international.

We took the train to international, had to wait about 20mins to arrive... And then.....

Picked up express passes at international, the queue for security was insane and that was the express path lane. Immigration was worse. It might be because of Easter long weekend but was hectic and crowded.

My suggestion. Fill out your departure card before you get here, I can mail you one if you don't have extras. We took the non express immigration line because it was faster and I'm also curious if the bus would have been faster.

Brisbane also having construction work and the Koru lounge is a dump.
Wow. I'm glad I made the change. That extra hour should help a lot. Sounds like you made it with only a few minutes to spare.
I really appreciate this information. I've been checking on the flights and I was lucky to be able to change to an earlier flight when I did. Nothing else is available unless I book a Delta flight. I'm going to see if I can download a departure card. If I can't I'd love to get one of the ones you have.
Thanks again.

p.s. Is the express pass the same thing VA gives you when you're flying business class? I'd heard it helped you get through everything very quickly.

We may just take a cab instead of the train. Will that save much time?

I've been reading the reviews for the Brisbane airport....now I'm thinking about using the extra 190,000 miles to fly Delta non-stop.

Is VA and dealing with the Brisbane airport worth the headaches?

Last note...I'm not flying until Feb 2016. Do you think they'll have the renovations completed by then and will those renovations make the transfer a lot smoother?

Last edited by Wisdom; Apr 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm Reason: Added on another thought.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Wisdom
Wow. I'm glad I made the change. That extra hour should help a lot. Sounds like you made it with only a few minutes to spare.
I really appreciate this information. I've been checking on the flights and I was lucky to be able to change to an earlier flight when I did. Nothing else is available unless I book a Delta flight. I'm going to see if I can download a departure card. If I can't I'd love to get one of the ones you have.
Thanks again.

p.s. Is the express pass the same thing VA gives you when you're flying business class? I'd heard it helped you get through everything very quickly.

I've been reading the reviews for the Brisbane airport....now I'm thinking about using the extra 190,000 miles to fly Delta non-stop.

Last note...I'm not flying until Feb 2016. Do you think they'll have the renovations completed by then and will those renovations make the transfer a lot smoother?
190,000 miles just to avoid BNE? I certainly wouldn't.

Honestly I don't think the BNE dom-int transit is bad at all. I did it last week and construction didn't get in my way. You walk out, get on the bus (there's always one waiting right there in my experience) and get out at the international terminal about five to ten minutes later. Security and customs aren't particularly onerous at that time of day, especially with an express pass (I had one but didn't use it, I saved it for some other time). The lounge isn't great (mostly because it's too small and crowded) but it won't kill ya... besides, you can always go hang out in the shiny recently renovated new terminal outside.

Bus is better than train because it leaves right at the kerb and runs more frequently. The train involves a bit of a hike up to the platform. Never tried catching a taxi.

I have no idea whether construction will be a problem in one year's time, but it wasn't a problem last week.

Anyway, an indirect flight is always worse than a direct flight, but as far as transfers go BNE isn't bad. I'd probably spend an extra 19,000 points to avoid it, but 190,000 points? No way.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen
190,000 miles just to avoid BNE? I certainly wouldn't.

Honestly I don't think the BNE dom-int transit is bad at all. I did it last week and construction didn't get in my way. You walk out, get on the bus (there's always one waiting right there in my experience) and get out at the international terminal about five to ten minutes later. Security and customs aren't particularly onerous at that time of day, especially with an express pass (I had one but didn't use it, I saved it for some other time). The lounge isn't great (mostly because it's too small and crowded) but it won't kill ya... besides, you can always go hang out in the shiny recently renovated new terminal outside.

Bus is better than train because it leaves right at the kerb and runs more frequently. The train involves a bit of a hike up to the platform. Never tried catching a taxi.

I have no idea whether construction will be a problem in one year's time, but it wasn't a problem last week.

Anyway, an indirect flight is always worse than a direct flight, but as far as transfers go BNE isn't bad. I'd probably spend an extra 19,000 points to avoid it, but 190,000 points? No way.
Jorgen,

Thank you for your input. I had changed my connection time to 2hrs 45mins to give us time for the unknown and I'm very glad that you feel it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the info on the bus vs train. I was thinking the train might have been faster, but if the bus is only a 10 min trip or so, it makes sense to choose that.
I hope we have time to use the lounge.
I've read a lot of good things about VA and would prefer to fly with them rather than DA on this route. And I'm very happy to not use the extra 190,000 miles.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Train travel time is approx. 120 seconds between the terminals; problem is it's frequency is not all that great, often departures are 30 minutes apart.

Here's the current time table:
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:05 am

I'm going to see if I can download a departure card. If I can't I'd love to get one of the ones you have.
You won't be able to download the card. You can however download the Brisbane airport app, complete the departure card on your phone and scan your phone at the airport instead.
http://www.bne.com.au/passenger-info...e-card-feature

Majority of taxi drivers will refuse the trip. Not worth it for them.

It's hardly a headache, its actually quite simple. LAX now that is a headache.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by kcupp95
Majority of taxi drivers will refuse the trip. Not worth it for them.
Legally they cannot. But if you tell them before sitting in the cab, they will try. So the trick is to have everything loaded and when sitting in the car calmly request ride to the International terminal. Then calmly listen to the barrage of abuse for the whole trip making sure taximeter is correctly on. At the destination, calmly pay exactly what taximeter says, not a cent more. If having time, take registration number of the taxi then call the taxi service involved and report the driver. Done that couple of times in Sydney... Worked each time...
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Train travel time is approx. 120 seconds between the terminals; problem is it's frequency is not all that great, often departures are 30 minutes apart.

Here's the current time table:
Thank you. So far I'm gathering that the train may be the best choice unless I've just arrived to watch it pull away from the station. Is it ever so crowded that not everyone gets on it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.