Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA-CHC to SYD connect to DL (sep tix)Will VA check my luggage through to home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion

This October I'll be flying VA from CHC to SYD arriving at 6.25 AM and connecting to a DL flight to the US (LAX) that leaves at 11:10 AM.

I ended up purchasing my the VA tickets separately from the DL tickets. Since they both SkyTeam Partners, will VA check my luggage through to home even though they are on separate tickets? How will the luggage situation work in SYD? I purposely took an extra early flight from CHC to allow the max connection time in case I had to re-check in with DL in SYD. Can any experienced flyers shed some insight? I also have US Global Entry. It's suppose to work in Australia and NZ too.
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
While they are "Partners", they are not "Skyteam partners".

On separate tickets it is entirely conceivable that agents in CHC will not check your luggage through.

Since you have nearly five hours this should not be an issue; but if the luggage is not through checked you will indeed need to "enter" Australia, collecting your luggage on the way before rechecking your bag for the Delta flight.

In Sydney GE only works on arrivals; I am thinking it would be both arrivals and departures for NZ.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:46 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by universitylad
This October I'll be flying VA from CHC to SYD arriving at 6.25 AM and connecting to a DL flight to the US (LAX) that leaves at 11:10 AM.

I also have US Global Entry. It's suppose to work in Australia and NZ too.
Thanks
Oh, and don't forget to apply for the Australian ETA, you'll need it for your short transit. It's 20AUD/15USD (eek)...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
From my own experience - VA will not check your baggage through when on two tickets.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
Is there a Delta desk in CHC what would check our luggage and us in? And give us our boarding passes or will we have to wait until we get to Sydney?

I did apply for the Austalian ETA. I'll be in Australia for a bit before heading to NZ. I had purchased the Delta tickets orignally to Sydney only and then later figured out I wantd to spend a bit of time in NZ as well.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If flying VA metal then you need to check in with them.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
It is VA policy to *not* through check luggage on separate tickets - even if it's two VA tickets.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:51 am

Is there a VA desk in CHC and would they print a VA boarding pass for a flight out of SYD?

I would like to have my father fly CHC-SYD on VA7537 which is operated by Air NZ. He will be connecting to VA1 SYD - LAX. He shouldn't have to leave the terminal in SYD as he won't have checked baggage and he's transiting to another international flight.

My only concern at this point is his boarding pass. Will he be able to get one from VA in CHC? Or from the Gate Agent in SYD?

Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.