Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Flew the new A330 today. It was awesome.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Flew the new A330 today. It was awesome.
Lucky!

Can you give us any slightly more detailed impressions?

(In particular, I'd be interested to hear whether the suite felt a bit flimsy/rattly as one other poster indicated, and whether you tried it in bed mode (and if so, what that was like and whether there was sufficient room for feet and toes).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Anyone have flights earlier than June showing the new configuration/layout for the Boeing 777?
SimonD on Australian Frequent Flyer has gone through and checked out seat maps:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Below are dates with the updated seat maps

VA1 SYDLAX APR 09 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 01 03 05 07.
From the 9th May onwards, everyday.

VA2 LAXSYD APR 07 09 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 01 03 05.
From the 7th May onwards, everyday.

VA7 BNELAX JUN 06 08 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28.
From the 30th June onwards, everyday.

VA8 LAXBNE JUN 04 06 08 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26.
From the 28th June onwards, everyday.

Days in between still have the original seat map.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 8, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
That implies that the first two will be put on the SYD route and then the second two on the BNE route. That seems to make sense to me. It's interesting seeing the days jump back and forth by 2, which is caused by the slightly before midnight departure from LAX on both LAX-SYD and LAX-BNE. Were it a 12:15am departure, we would see it alternate every other day each direction.

I guess I'm definitely on the old configuration for my March flight to BNE. While flying on the new seats would be fun, I think we'll be just fine in 1A/C since the new config doesn't really have any seats for couples.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Velocity FF
[whether you tried it in bed mode and if so, what that was like and whether there was sufficient room for feet and toes)]

I am very interested in this information too, as husband is over 6' and not keen on that rather triangular alternative to the existing full flat bed. I saw an A330 review where the passenger in a single window seat admitted the toe room had been compromised but he was satisfied with the overall space. If we are in the centre row, could I then assume that the leg room would not be as cramped, due to the division between seats being more of a vertical zone and not impeded by the curvature of the cabin? Hope this makes sense.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I guess I'm definitely on the old configuration for my March flight to BNE.
Ugh I'm flying BNE-LAX at the end of May in J and was really hoping to get to experience the new business class.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
I was upset at first also that our flights didn't have them, but row 5 on the current config with my partner was awesome. Very private, quiet and relaxing.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Lucky!

Can you give us any slightly more detailed impressions?

(In particular, I'd be interested to hear whether the suite felt a bit flimsy/rattly as one other poster indicated, and whether you tried it in bed mode (and if so, what that was like and whether there was sufficient room for feet and toes).
The suite was great. There are so many compartments and things to pull out or open. The interesting thing is that your table is always open and underneath your IFE screen in front of you, it just needs to slide out.

Food was tasty, though quite boring. I had the prawn laska, which was great, but the other options were baked chicken and quiche. I'm sure they're edible, but this is also a lunch/dinner meal service which share the same selection. It's also the same identical meals as on the 737 coast-to-coast routes, I believe.

If their domestic product is anything to go by, I can't wait for the 77W refurb. It will be spectacular!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I was upset at first also that our flights didn't have them, but row 5 on the current config with my partner was awesome. Very private, quiet and relaxing.
How did you score row 5? Assigned ahead of time by phone or it just happened to still be available at check-in? My understanding was that they don't normally assign it to regular passengers until other seats are assigned so that it can be used to VIPs if needed.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:34 am

twitter team will assign it
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another post on Australin Frequent Flyer showing a seat layout to scale. Also where the bar and the lavatories will be:
Originally Posted by ishkaban

I asked a friend in the know about the seats and this is what they sent me
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by perthite
As it stands, the refurbs begin 2 Feb and go through to 25 July.
Is this still the refurbishment schedule for the 777s? Any chance of further delays?

I'm flying Virgin Australia SYD-LAX on 14 September. It is currently showing the 1-2-1 config in business.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See post #78 - that seems to be holding, so it would seem all refurbishments are still scheduled to be completed by July.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: DL
Interesting post to RGN on the 777 retrofit. While the updated seat maps would suggest VA is still on track to deliver as scheduled, makes you wonder what exactly is going on. Is VA trying to cram more premium passengers in at the expense of safety?

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...ecy-questions/
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by No Smoking
Interesting post to RGN on the 777 retrofit. While the updated seat maps would suggest VA is still on track to deliver as scheduled, makes you wonder what exactly is going on. Is VA trying to cram more premium passengers in at the expense of safety?

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...ecy-questions/
That article may have been relevant in October, but I can see nothing currently applicable.

All it indicates is the authors are having trouble finding current information about the seat certification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.