Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Old Nov 13, 17, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life View Post
Just a heads up... theres no hot food catering out of LAX until further notice. All pax get 3 x $8 vouchers to buy food in the terminal to bring onboard. Economy pax get a cold tuna bowl and some corn flakes for breakfast. Business pax get processed chicken curry and junk food items. The gategourmet listeria issue has really taken a toll. I'm flying to BNE on Wednesday and looks like panda express will be my business meal. Great!

There's several reviews of pax that have been flying since last week and complaining about this. Some weren't even provided any notice until after everyone boarded and they had nothing to eat.

Catering on flights back to LAX are great as usual.
Wow, no warm food for an entire 15 hour flight! That’s insane!

I am flying DL into LAX so are the voucher only available at VA LAX check-in or the gate?

I wish I could get the vouchers while in the Emirates lounge or better yet just take some of that great Emirates food with me on the flight if there is still no catering on November 25.

Edited to say I called DL (as I am on a DL D1 ticket) and they called VA then LAX. Someone at LAX reported there was a problem last week but thought most issues were resolved by now. VA claimed no current problems with warm food. There is a thread in the DL forum at AA having listeria issues at LAX. Let me know how this plays out for your Wednesday flight to BNE.

Last edited by Xeno; Nov 13, 17 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 13, 17, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Wow, no warm food for an entire 15 hour flight! Thatís insane!

I am flying DL into LAX so are the voucher only available at VA LAX check-in or the gate?

I wish I could get the vouchers while in the Emirates lounge or better yet just take some of that great Emirates food with me on the flight if there is still no catering on November 25.

Edited to say I called DL (as I am on a DL D1 ticket) and they called VA then LAX. Someone at LAX reported there was a problem last week but thought most issues were resolved by now. VA claimed no current problems with warm food. There is a thread in the DL forum at AA having listeria issues at LAX. Let me know how this plays out for your Wednesday flight to BNE.
It still is currently happening. VA calls this resolved for the time being by providing the vouchers which can only be used at some pretty bad outlets in the terminal where you can get some packaged sandwiches etc.

You can only get the vouchers at check in at Terminal 2. Since you'll be arriving in on Delta into terminal 2, you can exit and proceed to check in desk and get the vouchers. You might be able to get them at the Emirates lounge where there will be a VA representative there though so that would enable you to stay airside and take the airside bus to TBIT. I'd double check this on arrival at the transfers desk and they could call down to VA check in and make sure you can have them at the lounge entry.

Theres been at least a hundred posts about this and they are flooding in all over the place from twitter to facebook even. Im quite disappointed that I wont have any catering besides some chips, candy bar, and a packaged muffin and some terrible packaged chicken curry that they add boiling water to the powder to make it hot.

Also theres not a lot of drink options either. Very limited everything. Some flights reported no champagne even in business over the weekend.

The contact center is outsourced and has no idea whats going on because VA doesn't want the public to know about this or people would start changing bookings.

AA has it much more resolved thanks to other hubs bringing in the catering to load onto the flights etc. VA doesn't have this luxury as its only port in USA is LAX and the other catering companies are at capacity.

I will definitely take some pictures of what is offered on Wednesday so you have a better idea. VA keeps saying it's until further notice but hey maybe it'll be resolved by your flight.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/community/v...for-flights-to

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#3fd3fb825d4a
Attached Images     
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 13, 17, 4:04 pm

Incredible! I will stay tuned while working on protecting myself as best possible.
Old Nov 13, 17, 4:44 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Wow, no warm food for an entire 15 hour flight! Thatís insane!

Problem not resolved at all:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#9ed32405d4a7
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 16, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I flew on VA 6 from LAX to BNE on Wednesday 11/15. Catering has been improved greatly but still not up to VA standards. Vouchers were handed out at check in and I used them at the Border Grill.

Dinner: First course options: chicken caesar salad, vegetarian salad, turkey sandwich
second course options: penne pasta with tomato sauce, chicken with rice, Mac and cheese
dessert: chocolate ice cream, salted caramel ice cream, cheese plate

Breakfast: ham egg and cheese sandwich, muesli bowl, yogurt, muffin, juice cup

The food was more like an American/United economy fusion on long-haul but more emphasis on food that looked and tasted like it was out of a sizzler. Presentation was basic and none of the usual dinner settings. Instead just a tray handed out with the food on it. Drinks were normal but some of the wines and champagne were substituted with lower quality options.

I chose the Caesar salad and Mac and cheese and chocolate ice cream for dinner. The Caesar salad was almost identical to the one sold at at Starbucks with dressing on side. And the Mac and cheese was like an easy Mac. Nothing fancy. And the ice cream was basic but yummy of course. There was definitely enough food to eat on plane so if you don’t mind more basic food options you’ll be fine. Wholesome and comfort food really! Just not very gourmet. I didn’t mind it much.

Breakfast was okay. Sandwich was similar to a microwaveable jimmy deans one from the frozen section in the grocery store.

Crew were extremely apologetic and flight manager tried to do everything possible with modifications to satisfy passengers. They said normal catering and serving should resume by next week but I don’t know how accurate that may be. The flights out of Australia are all great and running fine with all the small details including the cute opera house salt and pepper and Luke Mangan chef cuisine.

I have no idea what premium or economy got so I don’t know if economy still had just the cold tuna and rice or if they were able to serve a hot option like Mac and cheese
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 17, 17, 4:42 am

Thanks for reporting with an informed update!
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by yoboseyo View Post
Can anyone comment on the difference between the front area (row 1-7) and back area (row 8-11)? I heard the back area was busier and had more disturbances. Has anyone been affected by this?
Interested in hearing about this, too. I originally had 4A, but switched to 9K because I enjoy watching the wing and engine and figured that would have a better view. But, this thread seems to indicate forward cabin gets slightly more attention. Is service done from front to back? or back to front? I would assume the mini cabin would have more personalized service.
Old Apr 19, 18, 7:13 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Flew to HKG recently, quite like the new Hunter Labs amenity kit, think I found a great new cable organiser!
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I don't see any more recent discussion of best business class seat choices on the 777.

It'll be my husband and I traveling together. I've seen several reviews here and elsewhere noting that it can be a bit stuffy while reclined in these seats -- I'm wondering, do the window seats have any advantage in that regard? I've definitely noticed in some other reverse herringbone configurations that the middle pair of seats often seem to get less airflow than the window seats. I do already have a USB fan, but I have trouble sleeping without some air circulation so I'd prefer to avoid that issue as much as possible.

I haven't flown VA J since back in the old 2-3-2 seat days so I'm looking forward to trying the (no longer so) new config.
Old Aug 30, 19, 2:34 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I prefer some airflow too, and I don't think it's stuffy, but I've always been in a window seat.
bgriff likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I don't see any more recent discussion of best business class seat choices on the 777.

It'll be my husband and I traveling together. I've seen several reviews here and elsewhere noting that it can be a bit stuffy while reclined in these seats -- I'm wondering, do the window seats have any advantage in that regard? I've definitely noticed in some other reverse herringbone configurations that the middle pair of seats often seem to get less airflow than the window seats. I do already have a USB fan, but I have trouble sleeping without some air circulation so I'd prefer to avoid that issue as much as possible.

I haven't flown VA J since back in the old 2-3-2 seat days so I'm looking forward to trying the (no longer so) new config.
To follow up on this ... I ended up deciding to go for the window seats. Unfortunately I found the seat extremely uncomfortable for sleeping regardless (and I have had no problem sleeping in pretty much every other major business class seat design).

My issue was both that I did find it stuffy with very limited airflow into and around the seat when reclined, but more importantly that with the tray table fixed in front of you, the "constrained footwell" issue that a lot of modern business class seats have becomes a "constrained entire lower half of body" issue. The seat is very long and would be great for someone tall and skinny who likes to sleep on their back, but if you're a side sleeper like me, you're bumping into the underside of the tray table with your hips and may have trouble fitting on your side at all, never mind being able to move around or adjust at all while sleeping.

I had flown on a Super Diamond seat like VA's once before on WestJet, but it was a daytime flight where I hadn't tried to sleep. I'll be actively seeking to avoid this style of seats in the future, which is a shame since I've otherwise enjoyed some Delta mileage run opportunities on Aeromexico, which uses the same seat style on their 787-9s.
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm a side sleeper and I'd guess around average girth (34" waist). I've never hit the tray table. I see what you mean though, but I haven't looked to see how much space there is I guess.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: