Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Platinum free on day change of flight question.

Old May 25, 2013, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D

I read somewhere that platinums are able to change their flight on day of departure.
I went to website but couldn't find that perk anywhere.
is this correct as may need to do just that tomorrow,
I called the call centre it went to NZ and they had no idea.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
The benefits is called "fly-ahead."

From the velocity T&Cs:

19.15 Fly Ahead

19.15.1 In the event that a Gold or Platinum Member, who has a confirmed seat for a domestic Virgin Australia flight, arrives at the Virgin Australia lounge on the day of travel in time to be carried on an earlier domestic Virgin Australia flight the Member is entitled to make a request that they, and an accompanying guest, be carried on that earlier flight (Fly Ahead).

19.15.2 The request for Fly Ahead must be made to a Virgin Australia staff member at the Virgin Australia Lounge.

19.15.3 Fulfilment of a Member’s request is not guaranteed and is subject to the following conditions:

(a) the accompanying guest must hold a fully paid confirmed seat on the same domestic Virgin Australia flight to the same domestic destination as the Member;
(b) the Fly Ahead flight selection is made at least 30 minutes before departure while the flight is still open for check-in and the Member and guest only carry hand luggage and agree that catering is not guaranteed;
(c) there are available seats in the same fare class or a lower fare class, than the fare class originally purchased by the Member, on the eligible Fly Ahead flight; and
(d) no guests on the earlier domestic Virgin Australia flight are displaced.

19.15.4 If the request is granted and the Member and their accompanying guest (if applicable) are moved to an earlier domestic Virgin Australia flight in a lower class than the fare class originally purchased, no refund will be provided on that ticket.
In summary you can ask at any lounge to moved to an earlier flight and in most cases they will accomodate you. Subject to availability though.

I use it often when flying SYD-MEL-SYD return. I book a late flight home and get bumped to an earlier one where possible. It's a great benefit but subject to availability -- a cancelled flight earlier in the day can make it useless if they need to bump people around.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

so they would not work on people with luggage correct?
or would I have to go to the lounge get the earlier flight then go and checkin?
and it says same class or lower so would that still apply if I am on a very cheapie and there is only full fare economy available.
but thankyou for the t and cs there.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
I have heard that it *can* work with luggage but never tried it. Certainly don't expect it.

I have never found the booking class to be an in issue in practice. If there's a seat on an earlier flight they will generally put you on it but YMMV.
Old May 26, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

had lots of luggage got on 4 hrs b4.
very good service and perk.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:13 pm

direct flight fly ahead

Anyone know what the chances are of getting placed onto a direct flight if available?
And do you think being a points ticket would make a difference (we are platinum velocity). We are flying Mel-BNE-CNS, same on return but want the direct fights :-s

Last edited by Shragi Aron; May 27, 2013 at 11:18 pm
Old May 28, 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Shragi Aron
Anyone know what the chances are of getting placed onto a direct flight if available?
And do you think being a points ticket would make a difference (we are platinum velocity). We are flying Mel-BNE-CNS, same on return but want the direct fights :-s
I`ve had no issues on getting this done before even with checked luggage.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Note, while I have generally had a good experience with "fly ahead", the exact T&Cs do state that there must be availability in fare class or lower...

Which generally means if you book a saver, and as usual only expensive flexis available last minute, you could be out of luck.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Note, while I have generally had a good experience with "fly ahead", the exact T&Cs do state that there must be availability in fare class or lower...

Which generally means if you book a saver, and as usual only expensive flexis available last minute, you could be out of luck.
Again never had an issue with booking saver and doing fly ahead which I`ve only seen flexis available online. I guess in the future they might tighten up on this but for the time being seems like they are flexi-ble (excuse the pun)
Old May 29, 2013, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999

correct its same class or LOWER
you cant get lower than the cheapest.
I was on a $50 OOL SYD and actually got double points so they must have put me in a higher class.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Plat Delta, Plat AA, Plat SPG
via partner gold?

Just got turned away for this benefit (although I've gotten at least 6 times before) because I was a Delta "partner" gold.

They used "no" and "delta" in the same sentence more times than Delta would probably appreciate.

Anyone know if there is an official word on this?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mdkarp
Just got turned away for this benefit (although I've gotten at least 6 times before) because I was a Delta "partner" gold.

They used "no" and "delta" in the same sentence more times than Delta would probably appreciate.

Anyone know if there is an official word on this?
I don't believe it's a published/stated benefit for any of VA's airline partners, only for VA gold/platinum members.

I guess any other time you got it they were just feeling...generous?

I was travelling with a mate from CNS-BNE who was only a red member and on a separate PNR and they still changed it for me since I asked nicely I guess?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by aussielori
so they would not work on people with luggage correct?
or would I have to go to the lounge get the earlier flight then go and checkin?
and it says same class or lower so would that still apply if I am on a very cheapie and there is only full fare economy available.
but thankyou for the t and cs there.
If you get to the lounge, you will already have checked in your luggage. They will not go fishing for your luggage once it is in the system to get it put onto an earlier flight. If you have luggage and want to get on an earlier flight, you need to go before check in to the service desk in the general concourse and ask nicely. They may say they can only do it for a flexi, but you might sweet talk them to do the fly-ahead - never tried it so I can't say.

I suppose if you are a masochist in SYD, you could go into the kerbside lounge entrance with luggage, ask for a fly ahead, then go out onto the pavement and through the main terminal check in. If you try that, let us know what happens.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by jozdemir
I don't believe it's a published/stated benefit for any of VA's airline partners, only for VA gold/platinum members.

I guess any other time you got it they were just feeling...generous?
Perhaps generosity or perhaps on a flexible ticket anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz

my experience has been the same when traveling with a red ff. I think it comes down to how you ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.