Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA/DL codeshare warning - Terrible experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, VA plat

So I'm a VA platinum and work booked me a flight from SYD-LAX-DEN via VA website.

SYD-LAX was on DL metal, LAX-DEN was on Frontier.

So to start off, at SYD, the DL check in counter was pretty bad. Told me I wasn't entitled to express path or lounge access and waved me a way when I queried her. After 30 minutes trying to get an answer on the phone, the DL service desk admitted they made a mistake and gave me a pass and told me the lounge access was available.

So first impression, the DL-VA communication is terrible. Surely these guys should know the score, especially if they're in SYD. But no harm no foul in the end, bar the waste of my time.

Things got worse at LAX. My DL flight arrived with the late VA flight from BNE so immigration and customs were swamped. Cue the VA and DL staff trying to fast track pax through to make their connecting DL flights. Neither would recognise or help with my Frontier connection so I ended up missing it.

Here is where the fun begins. Went to VA staff and they said it was up to DL to rebook me, even though (as I told them) it was a VA ticket. OK, I waited at the service desk only for DL staff to tell me it was for VA to deal with.

Off I trek to T5 and the VA staff booked me on a flight 6 hours later, there were earlier flights but they said they couldn't get me on them or even on standby.

As bad as UA are, when I flew with *G with ANZ or UA I was always first on the next available plane if delayed, and that was as a Prem Exec (their second highest). My platinum status counted for nothing here.

Don't think I'll be using VA for SYD-LAX again. Certainly not the DL/VA codeshare or the Frontier codeshare. If they're going to set these codeshares up, they should figure out how to actually look after the PAX.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I believe that DL, as the operating carrier depositing you at LAX, would be the carrier legally responsible for getting you to your destination. However, VA staff at LAX should have helped you as it was their ticket stock and would be much easier for them to touch/change your ticket to get you to DEN.

VA places their code on Frontier flights? Interesting. Did you go to the Frontier gate, explain the situation, and ask if you could standby for early flights? They're usually pretty helpful in these cases.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: Too many
I'm surprised your flight wasn't on VA metal to start with. Obviously the price was cheaper for your work and with the connection type you wanted it listed that option. Are you sure it wasn't booked on Delta website? If booked on VA you could have used their counters in SYD.

I too have found Delta useless when it comes to what is/isn't benefits for anyone with VA status. But surprised about the VA staff at LAX as I've found them to be excellent with helping in the past.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by ekys
As bad as UA are, when I flew with *G with ANZ or UA I was always first on the next available plane if delayed, and that was as a Prem Exec (their second highest).
Ah, for the days when Prem Exec was the second-highest level. It's fourth-highest now.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I believe that DL, as the operating carrier depositing you at LAX, would be the carrier legally responsible for getting you to your destination. However, VA staff at LAX should have helped you as it was their ticket stock and would be much easier for them to touch/change your ticket to get you to DEN.

VA places their code on Frontier flights? Interesting. Did you go to the Frontier gate, explain the situation, and ask if you could standby for early flights? They're usually pretty helpful in these cases.
VA does not place their code on F9 (Frontier) flights, but I was surprised to find that VA sells F9 flights LAX-DEN on their web site as a connection. I too would have gone to the F9 ticket counter if I wasn't getting anywhere with DL, but it is indeed the responsibility of the operating carrier of the flight that caused you to misconnect to get you rebooked.

Originally Posted by Jinxy
I'm surprised your flight wasn't on VA metal to start with. Obviously the price was cheaper for your work and with the connection type you wanted it listed that option. Are you sure it wasn't booked on Delta website? If booked on VA you could have used their counters in SYD.
You check in with the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier. No way Delta would let you board without checking your documents themselves, and I can't imagine VA would check you in at SYD for the DL flight even with a VA flight number. Certainly, DJ flights operated by NZ clearly say on the receipt that you check in with NZ. I haven't done a VA flight operated by DL, but last time I connected DL to VA in LAX, I had to get my boarding pass from VA, not DL, on DL6798 (the VA metal LAX-SYD flight).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
This is what happens when one airline does a bilateral deal with another for joint FF scheme instead of joining an alliance...

I have had non-so brilliant experiences on EY - had to find out how to pre-assign seats, variable lounges, no priority boarding in AUH until insisted on, no fast track security until asked about (luckily it did not take 30 minutes to get an answer on though!)

At least with an alliance the basis is there that all alliance partners' elites are entitled to equivalent services - and the protocol covers such things as priority standby and re-booking in case of irrops, as well as perks when things are going well.

Then we would get some global benefits. At the moment the benefits are all point to point ex Australia and within the NZ, SQ and EY and DL networks. Try flying across Europe or on any route route served by NZ, SQ, EY or DL, VS or VX, and VA status adds nothing.

I wish VA would hurry up and join either *A or ST - I don't really mind which, but one or the other would be a good thing.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by ashill
VA does not place their code on F9 (Frontier) flights, but I was surprised to find that VA sells F9 flights LAX-DEN on their web site as a connection. I too would have gone to the F9 ticket counter if I wasn't getting anywhere with DL, but it is indeed the responsibility of the operating carrier of the flight that caused you to misconnect to get you rebooked.

You check in with the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier. No way Delta would let you board without checking your documents themselves, and I can't imagine VA would check you in at SYD for the DL flight even with a VA flight number. Certainly, DJ flights operated by NZ clearly say on the receipt that you check in with NZ. I haven't done a VA flight operated by DL, but last time I connected DL to VA in LAX, I had to get my boarding pass from VA, not DL, on DL6798 (the VA metal LAX-SYD flight).
Hence why I was surprised the OP wasn't put on a VA flight to start with rather than a DL one.

and DL indeed do issue boarding passes for VA if all ticketed on the same PNR (as I found out earlier this year in the states from LAS-LAX-MEL)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Hence why I was surprised the OP wasn't put on a VA flight to start with rather than a DL one.
Isn't that the whole point of the joint venture? From a revenue point if view, DL and VA don't care which metal you fly and can allocate capacity and fares how they jointly think makes the most sense. DL does the same in reverse when they think it makes sense. For my US-SYD return in early January, I found that DL6798 (VA metal) was $1700 one way while DL17 (DL metal) was $3300 across a range of dates, for example.

That said, the experience (particularly for elites) is far from seamless. I have had good experience with IROPS between VA and DL; rebooking me across carriers was automated and efficient. There wasn't a third airline involved, though.

I agree that joining an alliance might help, but a) it's not like things are seamless within alliances, and b) given VA's close ties with DL, SQ, and NZ, joining an alliance would probably force them to give up the other alliance joint venture(s). I can't imagine VA giving up the NZ tie-up, and I can't imagine regulators approving a VA-UA tie-up, as that would return the US-Oz market to a duopoly with only one competing flight (the Delta one). Alaska Airlines does well tying their computers in with both Delta and American for elite benefits, I know, so it certainly can be done outside of an alliance, and Delta even has experience with it.

and DL indeed do issue boarding passes for VA if all ticketed on the same PNR (as I found out earlier this year in the states from LAS-LAX-MEL)
Sure, when you're connecting. But not when originating. You always check in with the operating carrier of your first flight, even when the marketing carrier also has operations at your originating airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.