Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin now supporting Apple Passbook

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:12 am
Original Poster

For the first thinking of getting an iPhone...

http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news...arding-passes/
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
because its so hard to pull up the sms...

id prefer it if DJ let you use the barcode on your FF card, like QF
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Also FYI there appears to be an Android app that works with the "standard" that Apple have created for Passbook, if you don't have an iDevice:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ile.passwallet

I'm still not personally convinced by the whole thing; I like being able to hold on to actual physical boarding cards until the flight credits in to my account.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:28 am

Question Anyone used it yet?

Has anyone used Passbook on a DJ flight yet? Was it difficult?

I'm flying next month and plan to use it then, but I hear it is a complicated process to get the boarding pass onto the iPhone.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Latitudes
Has anyone used Passbook on a DJ flight yet? Was it difficult?

I'm flying next month and plan to use it then, but I hear it is a complicated process to get the boarding pass onto the iPhone.
I was hoping to, but couldn't check in for my redemption booking via the mobile site. Had to check in via the desktop site and now it won't let me send an SMS to my mobile that'd let me access the boarding pass in passbook.

Not happy VA
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:35 am

I am very disappointed with Virgin's IT department. There are lots of little things that don't work on their web site. The worst one for me at the moment is not being able to view international bookings at all, let alone confirm seat assignments. They still haven't fixed Mac OSX-related issues, and there is no way to view their flash pages (route networks, etc) from my iPad or iPhone. (Their iPhone app is almost useless too.)

All in all, not a great IT experience.

Come on Virgin Australia, it's the 21st century already!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Can you look the booking up here: Amadeus
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:14 am

When I enter the PNR and my last name Amadeus finds the VA ticket number. When I select the record to view the itinerary, I get a Server Error in '/' Application. error.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Oh well, VA do use Amadeus (until next year when SABRE is to be employed).

Sometimes it's worth a try.

Any luck with http://www.lan.com/cgi-bin/recibo_et...bo_eticket.cgi or classic.checkmytrip.com ?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:48 pm

No to LAN, and yes to CheckMyTrip. Thanks for the links.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I checked in on line on Saturday night on my Apple Iphone - the process was easy and simple, selected my seat, and when I got to MEL on Sunday night, I joined the bagdrop line (which took 25 mins) and when I presented my iphone I was told I would need a proper boarding pass
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
So far so good - got to T-24, loaded up my booking on the Virgin Mobile site and was fairly promptly checked in ... SMS sent, loaded mobile boarding pass and Passbook picked it up straight away. Looks something like...:

Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar

It works, but the staff do not seem to want to deal with it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:37 am

Great, when it works

I flew SYD-PER-SYD over the weekend and had mixed success using Passbook.

The SYD-PER check-in on my mobile worked a charm and the boarding pass loaded into my passbook as described in other posts above. Was was weird though was when I scanned my Passbook when boarding, a printer spat out a small chit with my name, flight and seat details, and my status. The agent then handed it to me so that I could show it to the cabin crew. What's the point of going paperless when the process generates paper?!?

The PER-SYD check-in did not work at all. I couldn't get past one of the screens because it said I had to correct the highlighted error. There was no error highlighted on the page, at least none I could see.

I tried checking-in again from the beginning a couple of times, but with the same result. In the end I checked-in in from my iPhone using the full web site. There is no way on the full web site to send the boarding pass the a mobile device, which seems short sighted of Virgin.

Agents are unable to send boarding passes to mobile devices, which again I think is short sighted.

Also, if you try to change your seat assignment while checking in on the iPhone app, there is no back button to return to the previous screen without choosing a seat. The only option is to start again from the beginning.

There are some serious usability issues that Virgin needs to iron out with their app and with mobile boarding passes before this process is seamless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.