FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Australia | Velocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity-682/)
-   -   How strict is VAustralia with their domestic carryon luggage sizes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity/1332210-how-strict-vaustralia-their-domestic-carryon-luggage-sizes.html)

dollerman73 Apr 3, 2012 7:07 pm

How strict is VAustralia with their domestic carryon luggage sizes?

I have a simple question. I am flying SYD-BNE in economy, and have a standard sized roller board carryon (US Standard). It fits both the height and depth requirements, but is 2 inches longer than the length requirement. We are talking 53 cm length instead of the allowed 48 cm. Will they make me check it? Anyone with experience willing to share on this?

qwertyuiop Apr 3, 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by dollerman73 (Post 18329905)
I have a simple question. I am flying SYD-BNE in economy, and have a standard sized roller board carryon (US Standard). It fits both the height and depth requirements, but is 2 inches longer than the length requirement. We are talking 53 cm length instead of the allowed 48 cm. Will they make me check it? Anyone with experience willing to share on this?

Probably not is the simple answer. My carry on is technically oversized (but it fits lengthways in the bin) and i have never been called on it. But you do never know, YMMV.

TPJ Apr 5, 2012 10:44 am

I have never seen DJ strictly enforcing hand baggage rules... I would say you have 97% chance to be allowed to take it with you.

bnebased Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 18340796)
I have never seen DJ strictly enforcing hand baggage rules... I would say you have 97% chance to be allowed to take it with you.

I guess since the OP has said no more that it all worked out OK.

My experience is that on one occasion (years ago now) DJ did enforce the rules on me in ADL. I also heard that yesterday in Brisbane (now) VA did so to a passenger connecting to an international flight.

I am interested since I am connecting VA-AR in March. Sadly the bookings are on separate PNRs. I would like to take an international size carryon, but really do not want the hassle I heard yesterdays poor BNE-SYD pax went through.

(The story I heard was the unhappy pax retreated to DFO near the airport to buy a domestic size carryon, leaving her international size bag at the shop for pick up on her return. This was done (hearsay) because VA insisted on checking her carryon into the hold, and refused to budge. With plenty of time (which I would not expect to have) the pax found an alternative solution, but was very cross about it all.)