Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lounge Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: VA Gold, QF Nothin' Bronze, IHG Plat AMB, Europcar Privilege Elite
I hear more of MEL's extensions are opening tomorrow.

I'll post an update when travelling through on Tuesday
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Trans-Tasman policy?

The access policy for trans-Tasman flights confuses me.

In AKL, when flying to SYD to connect to a long-haul, I have no problem accessing the Koru lounge as a "partner" Gold (DL Platinum = VA Gold, apparently... "Gold" is always printed on my boarding passes, and I am always thanked for being a Velocity Gold when I call.)

In SYD, when connecting to a long-haul VA flight, I have no problem accessing the Koru lounge.

But in SYD, when returning to AKL, I'm turned away at the Koru lounge, even when I'm flying PE. I'm told that trans-Tasman VA pax are not eligible for lounge access. This has happened three times in the past year, with at least two different lounge agents.

If it's a trans-Tasman policy, then why am I able to access the Koru lounge in AKL when flying to SYD? Is it strictly a SYD issue? Any other experiences?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
The Lounge Thread

I got told at the LAX DL Sky Club today that contrary to what VA publish on their website you're allowed to bring one guest in with you.

Also, flying VA8 this coming Saturday night (the 22nd) and I have a guest spot for the *A F lounge if anyone is interested
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LabCat
The access policy for trans-Tasman flights confuses me.

In AKL, when flying to SYD to connect to a long-haul, I have no problem accessing the Koru lounge as a "partner" Gold (DL Platinum = VA Gold, apparently... "Gold" is always printed on my boarding passes, and I am always thanked for being a Velocity Gold when I call.)

In SYD, when connecting to a long-haul VA flight, I have no problem accessing the Koru lounge.

But in SYD, when returning to AKL, I'm turned away at the Koru lounge, even when I'm flying PE. I'm told that trans-Tasman VA pax are not eligible for lounge access. This has happened three times in the past year, with at least two different lounge agents.

If it's a trans-Tasman policy, then why am I able to access the Koru lounge in AKL when flying to SYD? Is it strictly a SYD issue? Any other experiences?
I suggest you start by taking this up with Delta.

Have you check on the DL forum in relation to this - there may be more experience on such matters there.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:31 am

Hi Guys,

I am a VA Gold member flying from Sydney to LAX via Auckland with Air New Zealand. The information on the VA website suggests that I will not have access to the lounge in Auckland, however the Air New Zealand site suggests that I might.

Does anyone have any experience with this that they could share? Trying to avoid being disappointed on arrival!

Bonus question: will I have access to the Koru Lounge in Sydney (since that is trans tasman) or does it count as long haul so no access. Thanks!

Cheers

Big Dog
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bigdogsgottaeat
Hi Guys,

I am a VA Gold member flying from Sydney to LAX via Auckland with Air New Zealand. The information on the VA website suggests that I will not have access to the lounge in Auckland, however the Air New Zealand site suggests that I might.

Does anyone have any experience with this that they could share? Trying to avoid being disappointed on arrival!

Cheers

Big Dog
Yes you do. The VA web site seems to be pretty clear that you get access to Air NZ operated lounges when flying ANZ.

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...cess/index.htm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Yes you do. The VA web site seems to be pretty clear that you get access to Air NZ operated lounges when flying ANZ.

In this case, yes, but be aware there is no Velocity status based access to NZ lounges if flying to a Pacific Island.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop

OK, that's great, and definitely appreciate your response... I agree, at this location, it sounds right - but here it is contradicted:

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...lounge-access/
In Auckland, it indicates that I have access only for "Air New Zealand operated flights to Australia only"

I'm happy to take the first answer, though
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Access to Domestic Virgin Lounge on arrive ex AIRNZ TT

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Platinum members have anytime lounge access, no requirement to be flying anywhere.
Subject to space availability, Velocity Platinum and Gold Members can access the Virgin Australia lounge on arrival with an eligible day of travel Virgin Australia or Partner Airline boarding pass or itinerary.

Do NZ Elite have Access to Domestic Virgin Lounge on arrive ex international AIRNZ TT and if so can we take in a guest ?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano
Do NZ Elite have Access to Domestic Virgin Lounge on arrive ex international AIRNZ TT and if so can we take in a guest ?
Not by the rules ...

... departures access only.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
kids?

I am flying LAX-BNE-SYD in J. I *think* I'll have domestic lounge access in BNE based on the segment to Sydney, but it's unclear to me as to whether or not I'll be able to take the kids in with me. (They are sitting in the back the whole way.)

Any guesses?

The nice lady behind the reception desk let all of us in. I don't know if it was because we were entitled to or because she had pity on us.

Last edited by timstravel; Aug 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm Reason: updated with the answer to my question
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Confirmation whether VA Premium Economy pax BNE-DUD has VA Lounge Access at BNE

Hi all, despite reading the VA website, and trawling through here a bit, I'm still not sure if a VA PE fare (purchased and operated by VA) allows access to the VA Lounge at BNE. There is no J on this sector.

One part of the VA website says a clear yes to this query:

Lounge Access

Guests travelling in Premium Economy on Virgin Australia Trans Tasman flights and applicable connecting flights are invited to use Air New Zealand Koru or the Virgin Australia lounge.

Note: Lounge access is not permitted in conjunction with flights to the Pacific Islands, Bali, Phuket or Port Moresby.
Premium Economy | Virgin Australia
http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en...emium-economy/

However, another part of the website says PE can only access the Air NZ KC, which sound very odd:

Virgin Australia guests travelling in Premium Economy to and from New Zealand can access Air New Zealand lounges.

For a list of available lounges, please click on the tab marked Virgin Australia below.
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...lounge-access/

My sons are returning from Australia to DUD and the final sector ended up being in PE. Lounge access at BNE would be a useful benefit.

Grateful if anybody can shed light on this.

Cheers, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 4, 2014 at 4:47 am
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, PE PAX used to get lounge access before Business class was implemented Domestically. You may suggest they try, but IMHO hardly worth it - better off going strait to International.

If on the one booking the get free transfers: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...alia/brisbane/
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
FWIW, PE PAX used to get lounge access before Business class was implemented Domestically. You may suggest they try, but IMHO hardly worth it - better off going strait to International.

If on the one booking the get free transfers: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...alia/brisbane/
Thanks Serfty. I've passed this on, along with the other gems from AFF.

They'll just go straight to the NZ Koru Club.

Cheers, TK
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: VA - Platinum
Quick question about the Canberra virgin lounge - there is a fairly discrete door off the entry to the main lounge - I am wondering if its a VIP only lounge or something? it seems to have a similar card access point to the main lounge.

It may well be an access point for staff, but it doesn't look like that would be it. Anyone know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.