Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic to charge for economy seat allocation starting 1st April 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.

From the VS website..

Changes to the way you choose your seats in advance

Between 18 December 2013 and 30 January 2014 you will only be able to assign seats for flights departing on or before 01 March 2104. For most flights between 01 February 2014 until 31 May 2014 seats will be available to select 30 days before departure and from 01 June seats will be available from time of booking. Seats can be assigned through Manage Flights which is available up to 24 hours before departure.

• From 01 April 2014, customers flying between London Gatwick and Las Vegas will be able to pay to choose seats up to 336 days in advance. If you’re travelling to or from Tokyo you’ll also be able to choose seats 336 days in advance, free of charge.

• From 01 April 2014 exit row and extra legroom seats will be available to choose and buy from the online seat map up to 336 days in advance, on all routes.

• From 01 May 2014 customers flying to our Africa, Asia, Caribbean and Australian destinations will be able to pay to choose seats up to 336 days in advance.

• From 01 June 2014 customers flying on all routes will be able to pay to choose their seats up to 336 days in advance.

Please note: If you already have a seat selected for a flight that departs either before or after 01 April 2014 you will be able to keep it.

How much will advanced seat assignment cost?
The cost to assign a seat will be from £25 per person per flight (£50 per round trip) on Virgin Atlantic long haul flights. This is with the exception of our Tokyo route which will remain free of charge. There is no charge on Virgin Atlantic Little Red UK domestic flights.

Please note: For now you won’t be able to pay to choose your seat using Miles or Miles plus money, but we hope to be able to offer you this soon.

Title of thread changed by mod with OP's permission for clarity - word 'Economy' inserted - Nottingham Nick

Last edited by Nottingham Nick; Dec 18, 2013 at 9:12 am Reason: title changed by mod with OP's permission
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL management must be thrilled with this change.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Economy only.

Fully flexible ticket holders, Flying Club Golds, PE and UC ticket holders won't have to pay it.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I suspect they would have done it sooner if their IT people could have got it working.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Economy only.

Fully flexible ticket holders, Flying Club Golds, PE and UC ticket holders won't have to pay it.
Where does it state this please?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why is Tokyo exempt?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:00 am

So what exactly the money for ticket buys ? A place in queue ? -- I know some low low cost carriers do that but I still think this is outrageous charge which should be part of fare you are paying --
Flying in Economy is more or less like cattle class --
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jignesh5
So what exactly the money for ticket buys ? A place in queue ? -- I know some low low cost carriers do that but I still think this is outrageous charge which should be part of fare you are paying --
Flying in Economy is more or less like cattle class --
A ticket buys a seat on the plane, you just don't know which one in advance. I'm surprised that they haven't done it sooner, considering that their main competition (BA) has been doing this for quite some time. BA also charges for seat assignment in biz except for full fare, but does exempt many elites.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am willing to bet that the reason they haven't done it earlier is because their IT department could not organize a social event in a brewing establishment. Even now it looks like a dog's dinner.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL management must be thrilled with this change.
Ditto with UA's $mi$ek.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (Silver)

Last edited by Whites718; Dec 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reason: .
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Where does it state this please?
See VS' Facebook replies.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:42 pm
Suspended

I am surprised at this. Whilst I can understand it for flying to LAS, but for routes where they are competing against the likes of Emirates, Etihad etc? Think about it, if you price up LON - SYD (as example) and its more or less the same price as one of the middle eastern airlines, who are you going to book with? Will be interesting to how, if at all, it affects their bookings.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
whilst the current system leads to complaints (just read the VS face book page prior to this weekend) I really do think this new system will just cause more aggravation and it will be more intense because people have paid for it.

Some issues I can think of

1. V Holidays have a special allocation of seats in the bubble of the 747. Is this still the case and if so do V Holidays clients have to pay the extra?

2. Currently VS only allows 60% of seats for pre-request with the remainder open from OLCI. Will this still be the case because that will just cause resentment because someone may very well get a better seat because they just waited until OLCI opens.

3. Is the system sophisticated enough to prevent people trying to keep a seat in the middle free? So a couple pays for A and C obviously hoping that no one else will choose B giving them extra space.

4. I hope VS realise the hypocrisy of their complaints that APD puts prices up for people going on their holidays yet are prepared to charge people an extra £50 to book seats both ways.

I think VS have got this very badly wrong and they will regret the harm it does to their reputation. The phased introduction is already causing complaints and confusion (just see the FB page and some of the questions being asked there)

One of the things that distinguised VS from BA was that seats were free to request in advance (it used to be on booking until they changed it down to 90 days) no matter your status. That difference has now gone.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
Why is Tokyo exempt?
Possibly due to local laws like a different luggage allowance for Brazil and I think Argentina does not allow fuel surcharge to be charged on redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.